Tyre rubber

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

Tyre rubber

Post by np »

Here`s one for you all.What happens to all the rubber from tyres from all the motors on the road?Think about all the tread that you lose off your tyres,yet you dont see any on the roads.I wonder how many tons or so that wear away each year.[:)]
I read about this the other week,one of those "Here`s one for yah" questions.[:)]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I think it ends up as "traffic film" stuck to my windscreen. Either that or the horrible black muck that turns my pollen filter black.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Or even better, in your lungs and eyes !
Who's going to take thier Dyson along the road to see what it picks up ?
IAN.D
My Cars:

Post by IAN.D »

I would say that's what half the dirt on the road is made up of.
Also the rubber is part of what makes the roads so slippy when it has not rained for a while.
Or it may be "secretly collected then used to make new tyres" :o)
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

And where does all the LHM and engine oil that drips out of my car go??? It washes off the road along with the old rubber!!!
We are drinking it, I tell you!!![:0]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by np</i>

Here`s one for you all.What happens to all the rubber from tyres from all the motors on the road?Think about all the tread that you lose off your tyres,yet you dont see any on the roads.I wonder how many tons or so that wear away each year.[:)]
I read about this the other week,one of those "Here`s one for yah" questions.[:)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Well out here, it's common particularly in summer time to see on the side of the road, rubber from truck tyres lying in pieces from the size of marbles to house brick and often the entire tread. This is caused through the combined heat of the road surface and friction from the tyres over such longdistances and at such constant high temps.
Where I am, the thermometer on the outside of the car often shows over 40 C and it's not hard to get blisters on bare feet on the road surface as late as 4pm at times.
To counter this, some of the truck companies fill their tyres with nitrogen to try to stabilise the actual pressures they are running in the tyres but this still only has a marginal effect on the ones that blow due to air building up betewwn the casing and the tread and blowing the tread clean off.
A comical sight I saw recently was a road line marking team had been re doing road lines, came along to where a tread was lying on the road and simply painted a white line over it. You can imagine the mentality..."'tain't my job to shift it mate!!"
Alan S[;)]
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Alans I remember reading about a similar thing here in the U.K. where the line painting team were painting the yellow lines at the side of the road. They worked away along the road, and when they reached a parked car, just painted the lines up to the car. So the car ends up having a double yellow line (no parking) in front, and behind it, but not underneath it.
These jobsworths are amazing, the lack of intelligence, and inability to do a job correctly defies belief.
Mind you it worked out O.K. for the motorist, because technically the car was not parked on a yellow line, and could not be issued a parking ticket. [:D]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

LOL@Alans.. [:D]
I think air filters should be fitted to all cars in the UK, as the quality of air we breath when stuck in traffic would kill most canaries (used down coal mines to detect gas in years gone by) before you got 100 miles!! [V] It's no wonder so many young people are contacting so many different lung diseases so early in life..
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

With the nice weather I try to make more use of the air conditioning, during the winter it's useful to remove the moisture in the air, and clears the window quicker. When a passenger is in the car, during good weather, although the air conditioning is on, I find that sometimes the window(s) get opened. I ask why the window is being opened to hear the reply I would like some fresh air.
As the air conditioning works perfectly, and has a pollen filter, then in actual fact it means the air is actually cleaner, and fresher than the direct dirty traffic poluted air coming through the window.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ACTIVE8</i>

. When a passenger is in the car, during good weather, although the air conditioning is on, I find that sometimes the window(s) get opened. I ask why the window is being opened to hear the reply I would like some fresh air.
Might depend what they've been doing to need the fresh air[:D][:D][:D][:0][:0]
Alan S[}:)][}:)]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Sorry for this guys but if you take a look on the 'Focus' magazine forum there's a Q&A section and this question was on there only a bout 6 months back. Didn't read the answer as it looked tooooooo boring.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alans</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ACTIVE8</i>

. When a passenger is in the car, during good weather, although the air conditioning is on, I find that sometimes the window(s) get opened. I ask why the window is being opened to hear the reply I would like some fresh air.

[:D] [:D] LOL If they are attending to some flatulence, then the thing is they might not realise opening their window, actually directs the air around the car, and it ends up on the drivers side, which means the driver gets the gas. [:0] [:D] [:0] [:0] [:0] [:0]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alans</i>

[:D] [:D] LOL If they are attending to some flatulence, then the thing is <b>they might not realise</b> opening their window, actually directs the air around the car, and it ends up on the drivers side, which means the driver gets the gas. [:0] [:D] [:0]
..............or maybe they do; a case of "no more Mr Niceguy"[}:)][}:)]
Do you notice they do it after you've said something that offended them[?]
Alan S [:o)][;)]
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

[:D] [:D] LOL If they are attending to some flatulence, then the thing is <b>they might not realise</b> opening their window, actually directs the air around the car, and it ends up on the drivers side, which means the driver gets the gas. [:0] [:D] [:0]
..............or maybe they do; a case of "no more Mr Niceguy"[}:)][}:)]
Do you notice they do it after you've said something that offended them[?]
Alan S [:o)][;)]
Well it's hard to establish the exact timing of the emission from their air bag, if it's a silent, and deadly one. [:D] [:D]
I want to enjoy the journey so don't say anything offensive. [:D]
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

When a passenger is in the car, during good weather, although the air conditioning is on, I find that sometimes the window(s) get opened. I ask why the window is being opened to hear the reply I would like some fresh air. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yeah but it's VERY processed air, and personally AirCon air names me feel really **** and gives me a bad head! Really really hate long haul flights as there is no easy way to avoid it, usually take a big bottle of water with me!
So yep the air from the aircon might have less contaminates, but i certainly hate it in comparison to nice real air :D