anybody know anything about jaguar engines

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

weety
My Cars:

anybody know anything about jaguar engines

Post by weety »

oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Got to be plenty of room under the bonnet for a 1.9TD[:D]
Stewart
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

"anybody know anything about jaguar engines"
Yep - expensive to buy, expensive to run. [:D] Halfrauds not got any in stock at the mo'.[:)]
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I've stripped a couple of Jag XJ12's, all I would say is that they were obviously designed 'Over the phone'...........................
Just to add to that that Jaguar who at the the time made only 6 or 12 cylinder engines sold such things as fuel injector seals (common to both types of engine) in quantities of ..........................8!!! Yes thats right 8!!!!
Now then why were they in trouble???
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Oh dear. The winning bidder for that car has 4 Non-paying-bidder negative feedbacks, all in a row, and has a -2 rating. Methinks it's about to become -3!
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

All it needs is some roofing felt and a coat of creosote.
Confused? I was when I looked at the post about garden sheds, <i>q.v.</i> ;)
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Common conversion for Jags over here (earlier models than that I must ad) is to chuck a 327 Chev engine in them.
As they are as common as armholes over here, it would be a fairly cheap conversion if you did that. I'd have serious doubts on the diagnosis of the local greasemonkey though. Sounds more like a case of possibly a power spike chcking the computer out of whack. I'd have almost been brave enough if I was over there to grab it, disconnect the battery overnight and then see what happened next day with a freshly charged battery.
Mr "Minus 2" may have bought himself a bargain. Looking at his eBay handle, methinks he may do this as a living; "buy" what appear to be misdiagnosed bargains and if they don't stack up when he sees them in the flesh, just leaves them there.
Alan S
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

A compression test would diagnose this one pretty quickly, you would expect an experienced mechanic to have done that already. As would the amount of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust and possibly the engine's thirst for oil.
The quick test for worn bores would probably be to whip the plugs out, squirt a little oil down the holes then stick the plugs back in and see if it starts. If it starts easilly, it's the bores, if not it's something else.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I know whats wrong with it- something that afflicts many expensive luxury motors of this age,but particularly Jags: big depreciation letting them fall into the hands of people who can't fix them themselves, but don't have the money to pay for someone else to fix them either!!!