is this scary

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

this is why I am all for retesting the driver every year. It would roads a far safer place, as you would instantly remove:
Anyone who cannot see (whatever their age is!)
People who do not signal.
People who have no regard for others.
People who have no lane discipline (my pet hate)
Etc, Etc.
The reason the government won't do it is because they know that all of a sudden their income from fuel duty, licence duty and insurance premium tax will drop by about 50%. What price is on the heads of the 3500 people killed every year.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

my 88 year old grandfather is still on the roads but I won't get in the car with him, scary experience! He does 70mph round town and 30mph on the motorway, and other stuff like waiting for hours at the roundabout only to pull right out in front of someone at an inopportune moment!
He has downsized to a little Hyundai box thing now though!
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

I'm sure he also like to quote "I've been driving for 60(or howevermany) years and never had an accident"
but how many has he caused and been blissfully unaware of.
No offence to you or your grandfather, but this is EXACTLY the sort of driver I mean. For his own safety, and that of others, get him off the roads!
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

The doctor has signed to say he's ok to drive (as in his sight) but that is the only criteria as far as I'm aware... it doesn't allow for the fact your reactions aren't quite razor sharp anymore!
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TomH</i>

like waiting for hours at the roundabout only to pull right out in front of someone at an inopportune moment!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
If he does that in front of a large truck he'll be taken off the road the hard way.
I know that many elderly people see their car as their independence, but when it becomes more of a liability to their life, that HAS to be the time for them to stop. Surely?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Unfortunately, with public transport, or the lack of it, the way it is, many elderly people, who may also have mobility problems have no other option than to go on driving, even if they wanted to give up their cars.