EuroStazi State want spy in every car

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

... coming back to the topic of technology in cars...
I think the main problem with high levels of electronic technology in cars is that I cannot fix it at the side of the road. If a set of points fails, then a hairgrip, (as removed from the female passengers hair) will get you home. A bunged up carburettor can usually be cleared with nothing more than a screwdriver. A mechanical gearbox with a sloppy link or a knackered synchro can still be driven. etc.etc.etc. An ecu failure, whilst rare, is terminal. It is very noticeable that in the historic collection of Land-Rover cars at Dunsfold Landrovers, the ONLY vehicles that do not drive are Freelander Prototypes, this being due to ecu's having gone pop many years ago, and replacements just not being available. There are pre-production models from 1948 that are still driving, but a 10 year old pre-production car is completely immobile. Makes the point really doesn't it.
Personally, I don't like having electronic control of systems in my car. The environment that the elecronics have to live in is very inhospitable, and it's very noticeable that the only problems I have at the moment are due to dodgey electronics.
We should be reasonably thankful though.. I heard recently that in Italy it is unlawful to carry out any kind of repairs on your own car. You may ONLY have an authorised garage carry out repairs. The day that happens in the UK will be the day I stop driving.
The other interesting topic is that the UK is the ONLY country within the EU that has allowance for "Amateur Built" cars (Kit cars) via the SVA system. This is quite a thriving aspect of Uk industry, and I think if the government try to introduce too many "big brother" systems in to cars, there will be quite a backlash from not only us, but the UK motor industry in general.
... as for Black Boxes for reducing insurance premiums and making the roads safer.. what a load of ****. In the UK 3,500ish people per annum are killed on the road. Of these accidents, 97% are caused by the Driver, and only 3% are attributable to mechanical (or elecronic) failure in the car. The car is tested every single year, and yet the Driver is tested only once in his/her lifetime. THIS is what needs addressing. I would be very happy to have to pass a driving test EVERY SINGLE YEAR to make sure I was still up to standard.
It takes 500 bolts to put a car together and one nut behind the wheel to spread them all over the countryside.
</rant>
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fastandfurryous</i>

... coming back to the topic of technology in cars...

We should be reasonably thankful though.. I heard recently that in Italy it is unlawful to carry out any kind of repairs on your own car. You may ONLY have an authorised garage carry out repairs. The day that happens in the UK will be the day I stop driving.
The other interesting topic is that the UK is the ONLY country within the EU that has allowance for "Amateur Built" cars (Kit cars) via the SVA system. This is quite a thriving aspect of Uk industry, and I think if the government try to introduce too many "big brother" systems in to cars, there will be quite a backlash from not only us, but the UK motor industry in general.
... as for Black Boxes for reducing insurance premiums and making the roads safer.. what a load of ****. In the UK 3,500ish people per annum are killed on the road. Of these accidents, 97% are caused by the Driver, and only 3% are attributable to mechanical (or elecronic) failure in the car. The car is tested every single year, and yet the Driver is tested only once in his/her lifetime. THIS is what needs addressing. I would be very happy to have to pass a driving test EVERY SINGLE YEAR to make sure I was still up to standard.
It takes 500 bolts to put a car together and one nut behind the wheel to spread them all over the countryside.
</rant>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
To control it to the extent, that you say that they are doing it in Italy is over the top. How can any one run a car on a budget if they are doing that, and many people will be like us fully able, and capable to do the work, but not allowed to !
It's been noticable that since all cars now handle, and brake better drivers take more risks, and braking at the last minute is one of the most annoying, and stupid things to do.
In the past I think it was Jaguar, that had a warning which was a badge on the rear bumper, when all round disc brakes were fitted to their cars, so that others would understand that they could stop quickly. Although I am sure it was also there for promoting the new technology.
Now that every one has disc brakes all round, and A.B.S. most drivers treat stopping as if it's the last thing that they are going to do. They are depending on the brakes too much, and drive like they have a death wish.
I am glad that we can still have a thriving kit car industry.
As for the black boxes they can stick them up their "derrières !"
More electronic control units will give us more things to go wrong, and additional costs.
<font color="red">Test the drivers, not the cars ! [:(!] </font id="red">
<font color="red">It's the driver's lack of skill, ignorance, and inability to use common sense, when driving that causes accidents.
Cars are now so safe that drivers take more risks, so this takes away from the added safety benefits the car now has ! </font id="red">
<font color="blue">So, in a sense you are back to square one ! [:(!] </font id="blue">