INSURANCE GROUP RATINGS

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

INSURANCE GROUP RATINGS

Post by ACTIVE8 »

As these are the only things that makes an Xantia Activa, visually different from another Xantia.
On this link:-
http://www.xactiva.de/text/erkennungsze ... ussen.html
Then although the insurance rating is judged on many factors, surely the insurance companies, should take into consideration more about the fact that the Xantia Activa is a very subtle car, and therefore the theft of one is much less likely.
After all it's not a Subaru Imprezza, or Sierra Cosworth is it !
The Xantia is an underated car by the general public, and as such can be bought at bargain prices !
The Xantia Activa is a performance model that many people are unaware of.
So, the insurance group could, and should be lower, as it blends in so much that a thief would have no idea what it is.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Been using those kinds of premise for a long time, BX unattractive to thieves, slow old diesel, front wheel handbrake (no handbrake turns) joyriders look elsewhere, plus they have probably practised getting into and starting Frauds and vauxhells.
stewart
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Theft is not the only thing they look at, however! No-one may want to nick one, but they also look at how costly it is to fix after an accident or fire, and I don't suppose an Activa will be cheap.
Another thing is that Activas may for some reason be involved in more accident claims than normal Xantia's: perhaps people think they will corner like F1 cars, and then find out differently[:(!].
After all, there's no emotion in the insurance business,everything is based on statistics and hard costs!!
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

It is based on performance, cost of parts, and how much damage it will do to other vehicles!!
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Tom, Is that why the insurance on my 2cv is so cheap then?!? Not much on every count!
I did read a report that in the event of an accident, mr Yooth in his XR3i is much more likely to cop the blame than the "sensible" 2cver. They obviously haven't seen how most of us 2cvers drive then!
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TomH</i>

It is based on performance, cost of parts, and how much damage it will do to other vehicles!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
true but my previous car a 9000i non turbo still had 150 hp was more expensive on parts and they weigh a hell of a lot more than an activa. also it to had a factory fit spoiler, alloy wheels and a nice leather interior, no alarm immobiliser, was the same insurance group and cost approx £100 a year less to insure[:I] not to mention if I front ended somebody I would almost for sure write there car off think big iron bars not too far in from the front bumper and built like a tank. IE I hit a signpost at 30mph (not my fault t*** in a micra who for no reason slammed on his breaks)all the damage to me was a 1/2" dent in the front bumper signpost 4' down the road looking well bent and I could still drive off. I wouldnt want to try that in a xantia without big repair bills.
I dont know how insurance companys come to some conclusions I mean a 1.1 fiesta will cost me £1120 a year to insure as a second car (2000 miles a year) whereas the activa costs me £750 unlimited milage. so if I want a second car I might as well go for a bigger banger car as a spare for when the activa breaks down again. I did try and see what a 1984 porshe 924 would be as a second car yup you guessed it £800 doesnt make sense to me fiesta group 2 if i am correct wheras the porshe is group 16 and I didnt opt for classic car insurance.
Some of it is down to risk though I have 3 convictions from 4 years ago all in10 (bad boy I know) and this now costs me an extra £300 per year on insurance but I think the activa is a couple of groups higher than it should be I would say group 10 or 11 would be more reasonable than group 15.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Xantias do seem to be in rather higher insurance groups than other similar cars, the seemed to get an insurance rate hike when they were facelifted too. The cost and expertise required to fix the hydraulic systems if they're accident damaged is something to do with it but apart from those systems the car is pretty much a standard car with standard repair costs.
The high insurance group probably contributes to the depreciation, nobody wants to buy a car that is costly run. Cheap to buy costly to insure.