the great insurance rip off

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

born2die
My Cars:

the great insurance rip off

Post by born2die »

what is it with insurance companys I have an activa as the main car and pay just over £800 per year ( I have a few convictions only 3 and 2 of them are in10[:I]).
Now with it bieng a citroen a xantia and an activa I thought it would be a sensible desicion to have a second smaller car say ax 1.0 base model etc cheap to buy cheap to run as it will be doing less than 3000 miles per year and I thought cheap to insure.[:D]
wrong even my present company are quoting £1000+ 10 times the value of the car how why and justyfying this seems ridiculous or is it just me as the car will be kept on a secure car park cctv security guarded etc.[B)]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

You are falling into the trap of crediting insurance companies with any kind of even basic intelligence or common sense, you will be expecting fairness soon, most policies are written by something like a bank clerk but with its brains kicked out, these creatures have to be dead for a month before they even notice, even as an ideal customer, you know the ones, renew each year and do not claim, you will still be routinely treated like a cross between a pathological liar and Charles Manson, come the revolution................
Stewart
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

come the revolution indeed if it asnt for the good lady learning to drive I would be tempted to put a bx gt or similar on the road as it is the same money to insure as a second car but then when I have to insure the wife well. I do agree with come the revolution and next year when all my points and convictons will come off my licence it will be significantly better to insure.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

So, not a good time to reveal that my Rover V8 is the cheapest of my fleet to insure at £144pa unlimited milage and fully comp?
Doesn't really make up for 18-20mpg though...
BagStar
My Cars:

Post by BagStar »

A couple of year ago, AXA sent me my renewal and said 'all I needed to do to continue my policy with them was, not to reply this slip and we will with your policy'. They increased my policy by £120, although nothing had changed, except for a further 1 years NCD, on top of the 7 I already had, and I took out a policy with a different company.
I forgot about this and received a letter about my Direct Debit with them, so I phoned to explain i'd changed to another company. The pillock started saying it's an offence to be uninsured bla bla bla, so I told him to 'pi$$ off, I'm insured you prat goodbye'. They're a bunch of money grabbing bas'turds.
'Insurance', I can remember the proper name, 'Protection Rackett'.
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

I'm currently with swintons. Not only are they cheap, they're mod friendly too. They didn't charge me any extra for my new spots, wanting only to know that they were professionally fitted (presumably, to comply with the legal fitting requirements and make them safe from fire and, hence, a claim). I pointed out that i'm an ex tecchie and they were indeed properly fitted with relay, fuse etc. A 6 quid charge to cover the cost of altering my schedule and posting it out, but nothing for the mod itself.
There really ain't no substitute for shopping around, garaging it overnight, and getting old with loads of no claims.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Don't start me on about bad customer service. O2, bloody O2......aaaaaargh!! new phone last year July purchased off them, since then I've complained every month about the phone being faulty (turns it self off) now O2 say they knew the phone was faulty when sent out as they no longer sell this model and that I should have received a letter asking me to return it with in 28 days of receiving the letter. That's right I ain't had no letter and so on. Anyhow I've had enough and threatened to pull my account and close it, the litlle buggers said to me " we have over 6 million customers and you leaving won't upset us. You can cancel now or in 24 hours the choice is yours. Oh and by the way if you cancel it'll COST YOU £53 to do so" AAAAAAAARGH. Bought a new sim free phone off E-bay, new battery fitted £35 all now OK. Been with O2 when they were Cellnet back in the 1980's so only pay £8 a month line rental, so have kept the account but when July comes around for upgrade they can stick it up their own arse. Rant over.
BagStar
My Cars:

Post by BagStar »

My sister has the same problem as you Stuart McB. The phone lights come on, then off, on, off, on. The best one though is, they keep cutting the phone off saying she has'nt paid the bill (which is Direct Debit), when theres enough funds in the account, and she has to phone them to tell them they've not taken the money out of her account when they should've done.
The best thing to tell them is, you're going to complain to OFTEL, they'll pass you on to a manager then, who will bend over (backwards) for you.
When will the police start checking the insurance of modified cars, that are disclosed as unmodified?
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Bagstar, I thought about that insurance onmodded cars. Now some years ago in my younger days I changed the wheels on an MG 1.6 Maestro. from the standard 14" alloys to 15" alloys. Now the insurance premium changed because of the value of the alloy not the size. Now I recently updated the Head unit in my Xsara by fitting a Citroen CD changer in the boot, the insurance premium didn't change as it was a standard Citroen CD changer but on my renewal it went up. I questioned the broker who explained that even though it was a Citroen unit I fitted it wasn't fitted at production and so counted as a modifacation. I argued the point of previous insurance quotes and this decission was reversed, so it's not a modifaation. But it does make you wonder what the insurance buisness is up to to squeeze alittle more out of us.