Internet Scam

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

Indeed. I heard about the 'cleared cheque means nothing' from moneybox and was astonished. We have all believed for decades that 'cleared' meant you had the money, and if you didn't it was the bank's problem, not yours. But it appears that clearing means almost nothing - so what's the point of making us wait 4 days for no guarantee whatsoever?
It seems obvious that after the bank says it is cleared then that should mean they are sure enough that they will take the risk of fraund henceforward - that's the sort of thing banks are for!
As you say cash-only seems to be the only way to go for genuine security.
I've seen quite a lot of scamming on ebay when trying to buy expensive mountain bikes. If the bike doesn't reach its reserve then other people come along impersonating the seller saying that the highest bidder went away for somereason and would you like to have it?
It certainly pays to be pretty paranoid if parting with any non-trivial amount of cash - although I have bought lots of stuff and not actually been scammed yet (computers, bikes, and bits for computers, bikes and cars).
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

you have to wait for four days because two centuries ago all the cheques a bank received were shifted from the branch (by horseback) to a central london clearing house. Once there they were sorted out so they could work out the financial position for each of the banks (ie who owed who what) that took another day. The cheque then had to be sent out to the branch of the person that wrote the cheque....and they allowed a day for delays.....hence four days to clear.....today of course the money can be transmitted instantly and they use the four days to play the international money markets with everyone elses money.....makes you weep really
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

I sell lots of laptops on eBay and there is always some Nigerian trying it on. Every week they try it even though I have in my listing I dont send things out of the UK and their dodgy western union payments are not accepted.
Last week I had a cheque bounce after it had cleared and hence I had already sent off the £250 machine to the robbing bastard. The lady did actually send another cheque so this time it seems she may be genuine. When that clears I will apologise for calling her a robbing B******.
Anyway you can ususally spot these Nigerians a mile off because they WRITE ALL THEIR EMAILS IN CAPS LOCK AND MAKE UP SOME COCK AND BULL STORY ABOUT HOW THEY ARE GOING TO PAY WELL OVER THE ODDS TO ENSURE A QUICK DESPATCH AND HOW THEIR CLIENTS ARE DYING TO GET HOLD OF YOUR MACHINES.
OR SOMETIMES THEIR FAMILY MEMBER STUDYING IN AFRICA DESPERATELY NEEDS A LAPTOP...
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

There are lots of crooks out there of all races, colours and creeds. I wouldn't single out any particular one for abuse, especially as your last bounced cheque must have come from the UK.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Fraud and graft are a big time Nigerian thing, though, as any Nigerian will cheerfuly tell you!!!
They will happily spend a million pounds on a fraud to get a million and one pounds back, its just the way things work there, from the countries leadership down to the lowest airport official.
Like they say in gangster films,its nothing personal, just business!!!