Internet Scam

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Internet Scam

Post by dillosk8ter »

As Im selling my BX I decided to put it on 'Findit' site, had an enquiry when I opened my emails tonight..........quickly realised it was a scam. First email simply said 'email me back about car' which I thought was bit stange, was expecting 'is it still availible?' and other general questions. Then next email the guy said that he was in Western Africa and asked price of car {which is in advert} said he was interested and would pay for shipping. Obviously a scam, but I replied saying that car would not be released until money in bank and anyway how would he view car. Thought this would put him off till I got third email saying that my terms were fine, that he wanted the transaction to be as quick as possible!!!!!!!! He said that he had a friend in the UK who owes him alot of money £3700 and that this friend would give me the cheque that I would pay into my bank account, deduct my amount for car and forward the remainder to the guy in Africa.......EXTORTION I think.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

This scam's been around for quite a while now, and is applied to all sorts of advertised items of significant value. Apparently, it all works as claimed until the cheque bounces!
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

It's called a 419 scam I think. The cheque they send you bounces, only after your cheque has cleared.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

How does this work though. Surely no one be stupid enough to send off their cheque before the first one had cleared and the funds were in their bank! ?
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

It's something along the lines of the cheque shows as cleared so you send off yours. Your bank then discovers the scammers cheque is a fake and withdraws the funds, from you. Usually too late for you to stop your cheque. Nice.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

ok that makes sense but surely the bank wont clear the cheque and pay the funds into your account until they have it authorised from the dodgy blokes bank. Also if this did happen, you could probably force/sue/etc your bank into giving you the money back on the basis that you wrote the other cheque after they had told you the initial one was valid and cleared.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by VisaGTi16v</i>

ok that makes sense but surely the bank wont clear the cheque and pay the funds into your account until they have it authorised from the dodgy blokes bank. Also if this did happen, you could probably force/sue/etc your bank into giving you the money back on the basis that you wrote the other cheque after they had told you the initial one was valid and cleared.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Be sure to let us know if you win the court case.[:D][:D][}:)][;)]
Alan S [B)]
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Funds from a cheque that "clear" in to your account, are not cleared, they are just available to you on trust the cheque wont bounce. The bank can withdraw the money again from your account, if it does by the time they get their finger out and clear it.
Bank transfer is the prefered method!
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Ah ok. Selling cars is so unbelievably annoying even without dodgy scam people involved. People not turning up etc argh. Maybe this is why these days I seem to just run cars into the ground, break them and sell the bits. Far simpler heh
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">is applied to all sorts of advertised items of significant value<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">- so how does this relate to a BX, then?[}:)]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Funds from a cheque that "clear" in to your account, are not cleared, they are just available to you on trust the cheque wont bounce. The bank can withdraw the money again from your account, if it does by the time they get their finger out and clear it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> ......with no time limit either- if the bank become unhappy about that cheque, even a year later, they can and will demand the money back from you!!! I was listening to Moneybox on R4 the other week, and I had always thought that once a cheque had cleared, the money was yours: not so!!!!
Cash is the ONLY way when dealing in cars.........
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

There was a story in the Guardian this very weekend about some poor woman who cashed a cheque, drew out the money and is now - to put it mildly - up sh*t creek!
Watch out for bankers drafts as well. They are NOT as good as cash if they are stolen! Always get a bank to verify before handing over the keys.
Why is the world filled with arseholes?
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

have a look at this link from autotrader...explains how it works in detail
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/CARS/sell/cc/fr-1.jsp
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Heres the cheque story....http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/m ... 727888.stm...thats quite scarey, isn't it[:0]? Its cash only from now on!!!!
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Bamber</i>

It's called a 419 scam I think. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The 419 scam is different. They just send you an email saying they have millions stashed away but need help getting it out of the country. The help they need oddly involves you handing over thousands up front.
419 comes from the legislation passed in Nigeria to outlaw it.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

noticeable that banks have not mentioned this fact very often....this is the first time i have ever heard of it