Pop ups!!!!!!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Pop ups!!!!!!!

Post by dillosk8ter »

Just gotta get this off my chest.......ad pop ups are driving me crazy.....taken 40 minutes to do anything online as I was hit by so many ads that whole thing just kept freezing!!!![:(!][:(!] Think I should find people who post pop ups, tie them up under my BX and slowly lower the suspension......perhaps tie them to a bed of nails first!!! lol[}:)]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Need a POP up blocker. Got one of my security wall. Only the hardest get through. May be 1 a day.
gardenpeas
My Cars:

Post by gardenpeas »

get a copy of computer shopper magazine it comes with free software to block such things i went for zone alarm
it seems to work
you might want to think about getting win patrol and other such programs to remove spyware which might be your main problem
good luck
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

Cheers guys!!! will do that tomorrow.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Have you got Windows XP? I had no bother when I was on Win 98, but as soon as I got XP they were hitting me left, right, and centre- spyware and pop ups everywhere!!
I went down to PC world where they are doing, or were a couple of weeks ago, McAfee firewall and Virus checker in a special offer double pack marked up at 35 quid, but going through the till for about £26 if I remember correctly.
Since installing them I have had absolutely no trouble!!!!
DervDonkey
My Cars:

Post by DervDonkey »

Pop-ups? What's all the fuss about? Me, I haven't seen one since switching from Internet Excuse to Opera several years ago. Opera 7 and above even lets you block only the "unwanted" pop ups, too - useful when visiting sites like BT which uses pop ups to display information you need... Very effective.
Or are you talking about "Messenger" spam? That's easy to kill, but unless you know what you're doing I wouldn't go poking about - just visit www.grc.com and run their little utility called "Shoot The Messenger". While you're there, there are quite a few other things to amuse/frighten you! A nice site for the curious.
(I don't have any affiliation with anything - just a satisfied user.)
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Take the easy option; toss Internet Explorer out and replace with this
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
I did a while back and it solved most of my problems. You can imagine the fun I have with these parasites as I live in an area way out of town using a phone line system that Captain Cook installed back in 1770 I think, and as a bonus I'm on dial up, so whatever problems you have on broadband multiply that by 100 with my set up. I used to spend most of my day getting rid of all those useless bludgers but not any more.
Alan S
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I am using opera too, its been about a week now, MUCH BETTER
Stewart
Jon

Post by Jon »

Yep, Opera is good.
You should still check and remove any spyware that may be lurking on the PC though.
I use Spybot Search & Destroy which can be downloaded for free here
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10122 ... tag=button
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

I run Windows XP with all the latest service packs etc bundled in. It now has a pop up blocker in IE and you have to do nothing to activate it. Marvellous!
Also helps to use AVG Anti-virus (free) and Zone alarm firewall (also free).
dickydolittle
My Cars:

Post by dickydolittle »

i agree, spybot is good.i use ad-aware,and a google toolbar popup stopper. all free to download. had no probs.
dicky
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

I've only seen one pop-up in ten years on-line. That's basically because I don't use windows+IE. These days I use GNU/Linux (Debian). It's good enough for average users these days - try Ubuuntu, Mepis, Libranet, Mandrake for a civilised end-user grade experience - Ubuuntu is free (they'll even send you a CD for free at the moment!), and you can boot into it from the CD to try it without affecting anything at all on your machine. If it works OK and you like it, then you can ask it to install on your machine (and keep Windows so you can boot into either). Not much to lose there. And of course this gets you away from viruses, adware, spyware and all that crap as well as pop-ups.
If you don't fancy trying Linux then just installing firefox (which works on windows too) will also get rid of all your pop-ups: http://www.getfirefox.com/ (as someone pointed out above). This is now my default browser - it's very good.