what do you reckon?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

dan.2cv
My Cars:

what do you reckon?

Post by dan.2cv »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 19548&rd=1
Auto for sale on ebay with dodgy box.
I could simply put my box in and have a nice newer bigger engined, higher speced car, or try and repair it and sell my current one.
What do you reckon it's worth in its current state?
What do you reckon the chances of it being unrepairable are? (the guy is a car dealer by the looks of it, so must have had it looked at)
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Looks ok to me apart from the box.
How much is a recon Xantia box?
There must be a Xantia or 406 thats been stuffed around somewhere in a scrappy to get a good box from.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Hang on a mo. Didn't some one on this site have this problem a few months back, again on a Xantai or XM. Cost under a tenner to fix if memory serves me well. Personally I'd be a bit warey of this kind of motor. Call me a sceptic but if the problem is only a gear box fault (recon box about £800 fitted) there got to be something else wrong. I mean 44k and a bad box??? I know Cit's have a reputation but that's just a mickey take aint it. To me sound like a bigger electrical problem just waiting to drink as much cash as you've got. Stick to what you've got.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Try these for a read, may help.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post?f=4&t=14586
http://www.movie2u.co.uk/ycm/gearboxes.asp?offset=10
See I look at it like this 3k motor with at the most 1k problem. Don't add up in my mind. Sorry just my way of thinking.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Yeah, I wondered about that. Low mileage and dodgy box? JUST a speed sensor? - why hasn't he got it fixed for even as much as £500, then creamed the profit he's obviously going to lose by selling it with a fault. Might be worth a couple of hundred quid which I'd probably get a return on by breaking it.
Stuart, that gearbox website is offering a manual box for a 1400 Xantia, and an auto box for a 1500 AX????? Have you used this guy before?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Its on ebay, home of the unsaleable by any other means car, need I say more?
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Dan.2cv. Never used the gearbox man my self. Just a quick webb search and copied to the forum for info.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

If it wasnt so far away from me, I would bid - even if it was just to break for spares at that price.
Got to admit always very wary when people say "just a thruppeny washer needed" Right, yes and you need to graft on a new engine to boot!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Cheap spare parts anyone?
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

could always auction it...all it has to do is drive past the auctioneer
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

In third gear...
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

I must admit this does look tempting, but will probably be a money pit, as otherwise the car dealer would have repaired it, and have made money on the car.
If you click on view sellers other items, it turns out that he has listed the car on ebay twice, as the listing numbers are different, and the bidders are different, with the auctions ending eight minutes apart from each other, and currently bidding different amounts !
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Looking at this Xantia again, it appears that more people are bidding on it. [:)] On both the listings that he has put on ebay, here is the other listing:-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW
What's the point in listing it twice [?]
Surely as you have to pay listings fees twice, then there is no point !
Also a bidder "wallyminter" [:D] is bidding on both auctions ! [:)]
Maybe the dealer has another I.D. on ebay, and is bidding on his own car to jack the price up !
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Ebay never ceases to amaze me!! The rubbish thats on there is phenomenal, the same cars seem to come around again and again, due to 'non paying bidders'.
What actually happens is that the seller and friends, family, etc, keep outbidding genuine bidders, in the hope that the price will go up and the genuine bidder will get caught up in it. The genuine bidder doesn't go any higher,and the car is unsold, hence relisting in the hope of another mug.
Its an insane way to try and buy a car- the 'feedback' system is rubbish-again excellent feedback is provided by friends and family.
I have seen some sellers whose feedback ranges from people saying they are fraudsters, conmen, etc, selling write-offs, to people saying they are a gift to ebay from god, for the same seller!! They can't both be right.....
And who in their right mind bids on a car they have'nt seen- its just madness!!!
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Bodger is right - the discount for uncertainty that Ebayers make when bidding on a car means that cars almost always go for less than their market value. I've had three off Ebay and whereas one was a mistake (Peugeot 106 - my feet overlapped the pedals!) the other two have been real results - the ZX and the BX. But only cause I had a very good idea of what I would put up with and was getting into. I have the ZX advertised in 5 locations at the moment, so far Ebay is producing bids far lower than other locations.