jalopy remembered

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

jalopy remembered

Post by tomsheppard »

"The ultimate car for the sophisticated hooligan."
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

no ice?
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bikeboyz</i>

no ice?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yeh!!
Woofers in the back mate[:D][:D][:D][:D]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Bring back brown interiors I say. Too much grey and black.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>

Bring back brown interiors I say. Too much grey and black.
Yeah, if I drop some brown cake it won't show/stain[;)]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Aircon Bikeboyz, aircon.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard Gallagher</i>
Yeah, if I drop some brown cake it won't show/stain[;)]
Not heard it called that before, Richard [}:)]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Eating and driving!!! watch out prime candidate for the old bill. Brown interior, French car, driving at speed limit BUT ETING CAKE WHILE DRIVING!!!!! book him danoe, murder 1.
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Don't laugh its true... had to transport stuff for a party in the back of the 504 (brown velor interior), what got dropped... you guessed it chocolate cake.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

We only have one copy of that magazine. My father bought it when he was in the UK a few years back.
CX 2500 GTi Turbo "The Ultimate Car for the sophicticated hooligan".
Amongst a lot of others. The copy we have has a 2cv in it and how it had cost 1penny to drive for a couple of years. I got in trouble by SWMBO when I was reading it (sitting there in public laughing so hard at this little book I just about had tears rolling down my face).
Don't they make it anymore ??
seeya,
Shane L.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Thanks to Mr S - I now have an almost full collection of them again.
Many happy motoring memories, particulaly of the Austin 1300 in its natural habitat (the scrappers).[:D]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Alas, Jalopy is no more. There weren't enough people around with the enthusiasm for old cars that don't cost a million quid to sustain it, What a pity. The writing style was a great deal better and more informative than most magazines of today but you have to understand that the car market in this country rotates on the principle of "Look how much money I've got (into debt for)"
so it is social death to be seen in an old car. As a Golf owning colleague said on seeing my wonderfully used CX: "But I've got my image to consider."
(I consider images to be two dimensional, flat and artificial but then I think that rain is wet, so what do I know.)
A friend attending a Dinner Party (He owns a decent acreage and an old XM) was miffed to be asked "What do you drive?"
He replied: "a hard bargain."
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I should have every issue, though they are in several locations around the house so I'd have to collect them together to be sure.
I'd love to find an internet messageboard in the same vein. This board certainly has the spirit of Jalopy but it's restricted to French cars. Maybe French cars are most suited to the Jalopy philosophy.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Always been slightly puzzled by the mentality of buying a new car every 2 or 3 years (especially when that new car - like the Sierra was just a rebodied Cortina) and putting up with monster depreciation!
My car cost about £15000 new - I bought it at 4 years old for £3500 (who is the daftst then?). If I had bought it next year the dealership would probably have paid me to take it away! Even if I keep it for another 10 years I doubt i could ever spend £11500 on the car (and that includes all my gadgests, gizmos and furry dice) - so i am quids in.
It may be French, it may be a pain to do things on and have a mind of its own. But its cheap(ish) and cheerfull! Have a friend who is also a nurse - works all the hours god sends (and quite few more besides) so he can run his RS Focus (true - insuance is over £1400 per year, tyres £250 each... EACH! - where is the sense in that????
Me, I like to spend some time with the family and a nice glass of beer in the garden, or go away with the caravan of a weekend.
Strange this thing of "image!" Pass me my trilby dear, Im off for a ride......
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

There are people at my work whose cars cost as much as they earn in a year, possibly more. I just can't understand why, or indeed <i>how</i> they do it. I'd rather buy a bicycle and not work.