Very old Cit/Pug

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

Very old Cit/Pug

Post by np »

Just returned from a week in Tunisia.Very nice it was to[:D].Anyway,talk about preserving cars.Peugeot 104,404(mainly pick ups)504,505,upto the most recent 407.But all mainly early cars.Looking at the 404`s,i would have thought that they were made out there under licence,as some of the pick ups were in excellent condition.Which is suprising,as most of the taxis we went in had no airbags,just a hole in the steering wheel/dash where they had gone off![:)]Most cars had some sort of damage on them.
Loads of Visa`s out there,also a few LN/LA`s(the tiny 3 door hatch).Loads of old Renault`s too.In a Ren 5 van,we saw what must have been a world record,14 people got out of it!!!
Tunisia was govern`ed by the french for many years,so that explains the cars,& a french garage just about everywhere.
I`d think that if you needed a few spare parts for your old french car,a holiday there is recomended.Very nice place & people.[:)]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Been a couple of times with the wife. Nice place for a winter brake and dead cheap as well.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

You should see the old motors in Malta, some look like they just came out of the showroom.
Saw one old boy with a very clean 105E Anglebox complete with bonnet sized mural of Christ in crown of thorns.
Also caught the bus to Valetta during a short sharp shower. About 2 miles from the city all the traffic stopped on a new dual carriageway for a loooong time. There were a lot of Brit tourists on the bus so we sat back and started chatting. After about 1/2 hour a policeman came running up the road between the traffic with a clipboard in his hand. Ten minutes later the traffic started to move. There had been a 3 car bump on a right bend and the rules are, if you move your car the insurance is void so everyone just sits and waits for plod! But because the road is blocked he has to abandon his car and leg it to the scene![:D]
Just past the scene traffic stopped again, 20 minutes later same copper comes running between the traffic with his clipboard to sort out the next shunt on a left bend!!
After we start to move again we were almost at the city gates and bus station and someone noticed a newish 3 series Beemer gone straight on at a left bend, crossed the other carriageway and hit the old city walls at quite a lick and was completely totalled!
I couldn't breath for laughing, crying, wetting myself etc.
What a great day. London doesn't hold a candle to it[:D][8D]
And to cap it all, Valetta was just something else.
Try it, it's brill.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The wifes sister lived in Malta for several years- its a top place for old motors, her other half was a taxi driver there- he had a Toyota Crown,in which you could see the road through the floor. Many of the cars still on the road there would not even be fit for banger racing in the UK- its a bit like Cuba but with European cars, and is a very good advert for the longevity of old Mercs.
They lived in Sleima, and at the end of their road there was a flower stall which operated out of a Standard Vanguard, and if you like old buses, its the place to go- you can ride on these old ornate 50's buses,inhaling thick black unburnt diesel all day, for pennies!!!
Sadly, this will probably all end now they are in the EC- emmissions laws will see to that. The best place though, to my mind anyway, is Mdina, the silent city- silent because they don't allow cars.
By the way, if anyone takes their kids to the Valetta sunday market, the lovely fluffy bunnies are <b>not</b> destined to be pets........
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I have to agree bxbodger, Mdina was absolutly beautiful. You could HEAR the silence. I found it very spiritual and calming.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Havent seen a ln/a on the road for years, probably since my parents owned one about 10 years ago! I saw a D reg Visa in Bristol a few months back. On the subject of Visa's, I spent the afternoon cutting/rejoining/cursing etc with a Visa wiring loom. Im replacing the hacked apart one from the Visa with one from my old standard GTi however there were loads of differences so I had to trace loads of wires and try and match them up etc, nightmare! http://www.sevenoaksmotorclub.com/iB_ht ... e_517_.jpg