AAAAAAAAAAAArgh (2)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

AAAAAAAAAAAArgh (2)

Post by martyhopkirk »

Day off work today (got to 10 past 10 before they rang me up!) Fitted a NOS Realistic tape player into the Xantia (as its only got CD and wife been moaning).
So traipsed down scrappys, picked up parcel shelf with blind and some other bits for the AX too, went to Halfrauds and bought some nice pioneer speakers and fitted the lot (oh in the mean time called into one of the clinics to sort out a problem). Washed and waxed teh Xantia, paying particular attention to the underside. Even gave teh engine bay a wipe over.
<font color="purple">How does the Xantia reward me for this labour of love.[?].. </font id="purple">It decides to kill the courtousy lights. Not the fuse, not the bulb. Light played disco for a few minutes, then no more.
Still, on the plus side I did pick up a radio key fob from the scrappers which was in an S plate SX Xant.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Water in the courtesy light switches?
Stewart
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Or maybe it's that "Christine" effect that sometimes troubles all our Citroens. [:D]
As for what happens, and where it's a mystery. [:)]
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Marty
Which scrappys do you visit? I used to have at least 6 within 10 miles of me, now it's down to 2 and they either poor or too dear. Project BX will be kicking off soon and I have a few bits in mind.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

The lights in my old mkI used to play up after the doors had been left open for a long time. Use a screwdriver and whip off the lenses and check to see if anything inside has melted from the heat of the bulbs. You might just need a little tinker inside. Failing that how about the delay gizmo?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Love that "dim house lights" gizmo, retrofit to BX?
Stewart
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Or maybe it's that "Christine" effect that sometimes troubles all our Citroens. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
GOOD GOD THATS IT "CHRISTINE"
THAT PERFECTLY SUMS UP CITROENS, In fact its spot on, more stroppy than Mr's F would dare to be
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Bamber</i>

Marty
Which scrappys do you visit? I used to have at least 6 within 10 miles of me, now it's down to 2 and they either poor or too dear. Project BX will be kicking off soon and I have a few bits in mind.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Autobreakers on Kent Street in Preston - currently has 2 BX in stock (1 estate) several Saxos, no fewer than 6 Xantias (the latest being a T plate, though I wasnt alowed to touch that) a couple of ZX and AX's. Theris stock turns over quickly, and they are not cheap - but you can haggle (for instance - Spoiler for Xantia wanted £30 got them down to a tenner). They will remove bits for you too.
There is another round teh corner on Rye Street - altogether far cheaper, but not as many cars.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Well, I have to relay a story here.
Imagine a diesel xantia parked on the drive, in gear, facing uphill, recently had the clutch done.
Now imaging a nice 1.0 AX parked in front of the xantia, handbrake on, and in 1st.
About 10 minutes after gently washing the sump with the jetwash, one of the wires near the starter motor somehow becomes dislodged, and somehow manages to connect to a live battery cable ( even though the keys are out ).
Starter turns, and pulls the car ( in gear, handbrake on ).
I'm in the flat, thinking "Someone is having trouble with thier car", and a few seconds later, have a look out of the window to see who it is ( as you do ! ), only to see my xantia PUSHING the AX up the drive, against two lots of gears/handbrakes, and towards the closed garrage door !
Needless to say, I jumped down the stairs, opened the car ( unlocked, luckily ), and put the clutch in.
Once I'd got my breath back, I realised what had happened:
1) The place that did the clutch had taken off the starter motor.
2) They'd chaffed the cables, and others around.
3) The connector that fits over the feed bolt was loose.
4) The water had loosened this, so it slowly rotated around before connecting to the live cable !
Moral of the story: Water and electric don't mix !
Now, on a more helpful note, I'd be looking for water in the switches, water in the sunroof/light/ariel housing on the roof.
Cheer up, at least it wasn't the AX ( this time ! )
Mat.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oilyspanner</i>

Stewart
Stu, you can buy an intrior light delay unit from accessory shops (at least you could 10 years ago) I remember it cost around a fiver then and wires in between the sidelight feed and door pin switch. It is essentially a unit which stores power for a few seconds and had a nice 'fade out' to the interior lights.
The trouble with mine was it interfered with the 'lights on' warning buzzer (also retrofitted) which buzzed as long as the light remained on.
I seem to remember it was made by 'cosmic' but I could be wrong.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dan.2cv</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oilyspanner</i>

Stewart
The trouble with mine was it interfered with the 'lights on' warning buzzer (also retrofitted) which buzzed as long as the light remained on.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Cosmic delay switch - yep, used to make the lights on buzzer on my metro fade out along with the courtousy light. - kept me amused for minutes!
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Go find a BX with it already fitted. The control unit is located behind the dash, above the glove box. It's realatively easy to fit, think its about 4 wires, the only problematic one is the one to the central locking unit as you have to take the seat out, other than that its pretty easy to retro fit, and very satisfying when you do!
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

I can hear it now Marty, like a dying bee!!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Update -
Drivers door pilar lamp started to work again today, all on its own without any intervention from me! (busy weekend so I couldnt be bothered getting the screwdrivers out). Obviously my Xant is playing silly beggars with me.
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

not the only one I lost my petrol guage light half the spedo lights and the oil temp light over the weekend come this morning turn on the lights and hey presto all working fine???