For PC teckies..

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

My confuser has been a bit stupid lately, dont think its linked to SP2 so on recommendation of a mate I have installed a different browser (opera) transformed it, I think internet exploiter was trying too hard .
Stewart
IanR
My Cars:

Post by IanR »

Seriously, your overheating/rebooting probs were more likely due to a thermal-contact problem with the heatsink. Athlons have a very small contact-area, and care is needed to make sure the h/s is properly mounted. If it's not level, or the thermal-grease is contaminated or dried-up, then things will get sweaty very quickly indeed.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I spoke too soon [:(] I had installed Nod32 anti virus, Sygate firewall, AOL9 and d/loaded-installed 'Firefox1' (thanks Homer) and then... Yep... it all fell over again.. Failed to reboot.. I had to reformat-reinstall again and its still not right.. DirectX still wont run.. Sites wont open from my task bar, I get enuough pop-ups to start a market stall, my home page keeps defaulting to 'blank' instead of staying on 'Google' etc etc.. [:(!] The good news is the heater still works fine.. [^]
Sooo I am going to borrow my mates copy of XP pro and reformat-reinstall from that.. If that don't work I may move in with Marty's tramp and get some worry beads to play with... heh heh..
Hey ho... Not been a good day, Jean scraped the lil Aura along a low wall .. Its now got a line-indent about a foot long on the drivers door.. Fortunatly the paints ok and the rubber door protector survived with no obvious damage.. The dent is above the rubber strip.. And I cleaned off some brick dust from the door handle, so the wall was not THAT small??. Dohh..
On the brighter side, the weathers been nice.. [:)]
Edit:- Had not seen the post from IanR.. Thanks Ian, but I did check that and in fact I installed two more fans to extract heat from the case in order to keep everything cool.. I did this a couple of weeks ago, when having probs with my old m/board.. It doesn't seemed to have any differeance though.. Pesky thing still keeps falling over..
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Do you have up to date versions of Adaware SE and Spybot S&D?
It may be that the nasties on your system won't allow you to install those now but it would be an idea to get them ASAP after reinstalling windows.
You can also download SP2 from here without installing it, it is about 250meg though so not really dialup friendly. It is worth putting it on <b>before</b> you connect to the internet.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Nasties? I only went online long enuff to download Firefox, read this forum, and sort out my emails.. I think its a bit unlikely that I picked up much nasty stuff during such a short spell? Oh and I do have Adaware installed.. But the PC still refused to boot past the "ABit" screen, Just froze at that point every time.. [:(] Grrr.. [}:)]
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

It has been known for systems running W2K or XP to be infected within seconds, even on dialup.
Worms, trojans and some Viruses are constantly scanning for new machines to infect.
I would not connect any PC to the internet without a good firewall running or hardware firewall router. The XP firewall is OK if SP2 has been applied.
I assume the Abit screen is the BIOS <b>P</b>ower <b>O</b>n <b>S</b>elf <b>T</b>est. If it's sticking there then your problem isn't Windows related.
Can you get into the BIOS setup screen?
If not then try disconnecting everything you don't need to get the system to start up and go into the BIOS - this means all drives, just have keyboard and monitor connected, obviously if your motherboard doesn't have built-in video then you will need the video card. Use as few memory modules as you can.
Also try reseating the video card and memory modules.
If you get into the BIOS with everything disconnected then start reconnecting stuff, starting with just your hard drive (the one with windows on if you have more than one).
I looked at that NOD32 and couldn't see a free version, there is a trial version which you can use for 30 days is that what you are using?
If you list the rest of your system specs it might help, power supply power rating can be important as well, I've seen lots of problems just lately due to an under rated or just cheap PSU.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Cheers Homer.. Spec Athlon 3.4+ cpu .. 1GIG dd ram.. I bought a more powerfull power pack just in case that was the prob.. erm dunno exact power though.. ATI graphics card.. DVD burner, Multi format CDROM player burner.. AverTV card (not currantly set up till I sort all the probs out, used to work well though) .. C:/ 20 gig.. D:/ 40 GIG..
Two extra cooling fans fitted to cool interior of the case.. I don't play any computer games, so none installed..
Nod32 is shareware, but I have been told you can reinstall it if it expires.. [;)] I have now got a copy of "Casperski" Anti-vius from a friend doing an open UNI course.. + adaware and Sygate..
O/S Win xp pro + sp1... AOL9 BB.. BT 100 modem.. (have found AOL BB to be very reliable) [:)] I will strip the whole PC down again, including removing the CPU-Ram, etc and start from scratch.. I have some new IDE cables so I will fit those as well... I will also go to a "teckie" site to try to find out how to understand what the *sounds codes* are.. I know what they are for.. I even put a lil speaker in so i could hear them.. heh heh.. [:o)]
Yep the "Abit" screen is the first one I get during boot-up.. but can't get into BIOS or safe mode once the problem starts, Nothing I do will get me past that screen, [}:)] it even takes lots of reboots to get it to start reading the boot-up menu from the CDrom, though once it does at least I can reformat-reinstall etc.. [:)]..
I'm off to London tomorrow.. Will do the complete dismantle-refit when I get back.. Thanks for your help. [:)]
IanR
My Cars:

Post by IanR »

If you can't get into the BIOS screen, (Del at startup) then there is no point in trying to format or reinstall Windows. You have a hardware problem, and you need to resolve this before installing software.
If there's any doubt about this aspect, worth getting hold of a Knoppix (or BartPE) CD and booting from that. At least that should tell you if the machine's capable of running an OS stably.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<u>As this fits with the theme of this thread, I thought you would like to see this sarcastic post from a guy looking for help from a support line </u> [:D] [:D]
Dear Technical Support,
18 months ago, I upgraded to Girlfriend 1.0 from Drinking Mates 4.2, which I had used for years without any trouble. However, there are apparently conflicts between these two products and the only solution was to try and run Girlfriend 1.0 with the sound turned off. To make matters
worse, Girlfriend 1.0 is incompatible with several other applications, such as Lads Night Out 3.1, Football 4.5, and Playboy 6.9.
Successive versions of Girlfriend proved no better. I tried a shareware program, Slapper 2.1, but it had many bugs and left a virus in my system, forcing me to shut down completely for several weeks.
Eventually, I tried to run Girlfriend 1.2 and Girlfriend 1.0 at the same time, only to discover that when these two systems detected each other they caused severe damage to my hardware. I eventually upgraded to Fiance 1.0, only to discover that this product soon had to be upgraded
further to Wife 1.0. While Wife 1.0 tends to use up all my available resources, it does
come bundled with FreeSexPlus and Cleanhouse2003. Shortly after this upgrade, however, I found that Wife 1.0 could be very unstable and costly to run. Any mistakes I made were automatically stored in Wife 1.0's memory and could not be deleted. They then resurfaced months later when I had forgotten about them. Wife 1.0 also has an automatic Diary, Explorer
and E-mail filter, and can, without warning, launch TurboStrop and Whinge. These latter
products have no Help files, and I have to try to guess what the problem is.
Additional problems are that Wife 1.0 needs updating regularly, requiring Shoe Shop Browser for new attachments and Hairstyle Express which needs to be reinstalled every other week. Also, when Wife 1.0 attaches itself to my Audi TT hard drive, it often crashes. Wife 1.0 also comes with an irritating pop-up called Mother-In-Law, which can't be turned off. Recently I've been
tempted to install Mistress 2003, but there could be problems. A friend of mine has alerted me to the fact that if Wife 1.0 detects Mistress 2003, it tends to delete all of your Money before uninstalling itself.
Kitos.
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by James.UK</i>

I will also go to a "teckie" site to try to find out how to understand what the *sounds codes* are.. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<b>Nobody</b> understands BIOS beep codes, not even people on the PC tech forums! Not completely anyway.
It will help to know the BIOS manufacturer (Award, AMI etc.) as each have their own codes.
They basically mean, something's wrong but whatever it is means It can't put an error message on screen. It's obviously hardware, possibly memory, possibly video but it's unusual to get anything on the display at all if that's the case.
Put it together as basic as you can, like I suggested earlier and see what happens. If you have more than one stick of RAM try with one, try the other, try them in different slots.
It could be something overheating, bad contact between the CPU and cooler? May be worth removing it, cleaning off the thermal grease and putting some fresh on.
Does the motherboard have the small 4 pin power connector and is it connected?
Two cooling fans is probably OTT, one at the back, sucking air out should be enough (says the man who put 4 in his and made it sound like a harrier jumpjet[:I])
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by James.</i>

"ABIT NF7 series" motherboard, <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ummmmm....... arrrrr............
Looks like a few problems with that M/B.
Beep codes.
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi James,
Funny that no-one has suggested checking the tyre pressures.
Greg :-))
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Or something nasty has got into your system even down to bios level, can you pull the bios restore jumper off and reset it then kill your hard drive with some nasty software that will return it to factory condition, not just a format, but something that will totally wipe it , boot sector and all, check cooling paste on chip cooler and then start again.
Stewart
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Well its still not entirely sorted, [V].. So far, I stripped it down to componant parts including taking the motherboard out.. I then rebuilt it checking everything as I went, pins, slots, connections, resealed the heat sink to CPU, and bought some new ide cables etc.. It now boots up with no problems.. But..
The drop down menu's wont always stay dropped! [:D] they close again the second I take my finger off the mouse button sometimes.. (I have tried another mouse) and stuff on my task bar sometimes wont open, and is often hard to close!!
My 'Kaspersky' anti virus prog tells me I have an 'uncleanable trojan virus' in C:/Docs and settings/Bob/local settings/temp internet files/content IE5... The problem is there is no such file?? I have PC set to show all files and folders.. But there is no "content IE5" folder in my temp intenet file.. [8)] 'Search' finds a file of that name in Win/System32 but the folder is empty and a virus scan shows nothing... [8]
I think Stewart (oilyspanner) may have nailed the problem.. [:)] IE a deep rooted boot virus is the cause of my troubles.. So I intend to get the hard drive 'deep cleaned' and will then use it as an aditional drive for storage only, and I will buy a new hard drive for use as my C:/ drive... Hey ho, another total reformat-reinstall looms!! This PC may well end up in the scrap yard!! heh heh...[:o)]
Thanks for all your help and advice.. [;)]
The reason for the 'edit' was this posting posted itself whilst I was still typing it? dohh.. seems the virus has a sense of humour huh.. [:D]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I have a small application that I could email you off forum which will make your drive clean and good as new, failing that its boiling water and Vim!
Stewart