For PC teckies..

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Thats computers for you!!!!!
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Sounds like it needs a reboot up the big end, with the dip stick taken out. [:D]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

If it is an old computer, it will need the valves ground in and a plug change.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Old computers did'nt have plugs, they were steam driven
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Originally posted by James
Ooeerr, I already closed the foofoovalve n reset the idle control to max retard?? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That's what "Lax Power" magazine should be called, "Max Retard."
Look at this for the I've got the biggest exhaust so it must be cool, and quick !
http://www.topgear.com/content/fun_stuf ... ges/80/01/
Yeah right ! [:D] LOL
O.K. I know this came from the Top Gear web site, but this would be a "Max Retard" feature, or readers car ! [:D]
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Try the battery and alternator, power loss causes problems like this....
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Maybe the S**T has hit the fan, so it's gone T*TS up, because of the bent con rod. [:D]
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

XP Service pack 2 is pretty stable now! And since even the C5 has to have regular software upgrades, i think it has to worth doing. people like Norton have solved the problems with SP2 being rubbish so its deffinately worth doing!
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Dohh.. Hi Jon I forgot about the 'UK' bit? [:I] Thanks for the reminder.. [:)] Hhmm.. why does max retard spring to mind again? [:D]
Sorted the Active X prob.. chose "allow" in every option!! Prob become the home base of every virus known to mankind now though..
Vanny. I read somewhere that service pack2 alters the way your CPU interacts with the motherboard, and on some PC's this cause's the dreaded "blue screen of death" and the PC will no longer run.. On others it causes the PC to run very very slowly.. So I gave s-pack2 a miss... [:0] [:)]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Hi James, I recently installed SP2 without any problems at all, the most likely problems are with networks, mine was unaffected, you can always try it and if it goes belly up then do a system restore, failing that its got to be citaerobics or a duff sphere
Stewart
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hiya Srewart. Having just fitted a new m/board.. and all that that entails.. my PC is running ok.. so s/pack2 can bugger orf.. [:0] "if it aint broke" etc etc [:o)]
Thought you would be busy stuffing a motor in the "Free Volcane" mentioned in the Citroen chat [:D] so you can sell it to Marty.. heh heh... [;)]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I was tempted by the free Volcane, just got a new rad and driveshaft to fettle the incumbent ZX, happy days, dont believe all you hear about SP2 my computer still runs the same!
Stewart
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

You might have a problem with the fatherboard, softdrive, macrohard wendows, or your floppy has gone hard ! [;)] [:)] [;)]
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I've heard a lot of scae stories about SP2 but not heard of any actual cases.
i.e. Lots of people say it will do this that and t'other but nobody who has actually installed it has come to any grief.
A bit like the stories that go around about Cits.
I've personally installed it for four people and had no ill-effects. I know many more people on t'internet who are using SP2 as well. Not one is having any problems. The 64 bit version of XP is causing some grief though.
The way to get round AVG reporting NAV's quarantine folder would have been to uninstall NAV, not usually a good idea to have two A/V proggies going anyway, they tend to distrust/dislike each other and get into all sorts of tangles. Have one on your system and back it up with online scans if you want.
AVG is having a few problems updating at the mo anyway.
It seems you've sorted your problems which is good. Might I suggest you get Firefox as well?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by James.UK</i>

Thought you would be busy stuffing a motor in the "Free Volcane" mentioned in the Citroen chat [:D] so you can sell it to Marty.. heh heh... [;)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Dont laugh, I thought about going to get it - only lack of space prevented me (found a tramp sleeping in my Lock Up[:0]) - so after several arguments with the housing gave them the keys back.[:(]
Now tryig to find cheap affordable storage in my area.... On each councils waiting list.