zx 16v vs vr6

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

louis1
My Cars:

zx 16v vs vr6

Post by louis1 »

Out of interest will a 16v zx keep up with a 1996 VW golf VR6 automatic, only a friend of mine is thinking of getting one. So if anyone has driven/owned one of these before you may be able to comment on this.
Thanks Louis
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Probably not much in it. The vr6 has a bit more power but is heavier and automatic. It will be quicker higher up I expect where bhp counts more. Theres also the fact that the mk3 is commonly accepted as being the worst Golf and the zx will be far more fun to drive and handle better. However the golfs probably higher quality and specification etc so it depends what he wants really. Theres a nice P reg zx 16v on ebay for £950 whereas a vr6 is probably 3K?
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

on paper the VR6 auto performance figures are 174BHP, 0-60 8.7secs, top speed 137mph if that helps!
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

I reckon there wouldn't be much in it. More power in the FleaDub, but then more weight and a slushmatic to wind up. Glof VR6s not in the same performance class as the meatier Corrados.
It's a tricky question for a buyer, as both have their charms - just depends what you want. The ZX is cheap speed and the VW build quality is a chimaera (check out TG magazines satisfaction survey where the 'beautifully crafted' Passat gets a caning by offerings from Ford or even Rover), but the ZX's value will evaporate like a mouthful of polish vodka and the near cult VW will probably not devalue much at all if it's kept in A1 standard trim.
I'd have the Citroen and spend the rest on beer and call girls.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

8.7, well in that case the zx would be marginally quicker to 60 at 8.4 however nothing in it really. Zx 16v's are so cheap now but I get the idea hes not interested in one of those, hes just thinking about buying a vr6 and Louis is wondering if he would be able to keep up with his friend :) I personally think the zx 16v looks better as well because on the mk3 golf they didnt really do anything to the sport ones unlike the zx which gets all the arch extensions and so on. I would rather spend a grand on a mint zx 16v and have 2 grand spare for women and beer as you suggest. That could go a long way in Amsterdam lol
Seamster15
My Cars:

Post by Seamster15 »

haven extensivly driven both the VR6 feels a lot quicker. Saying that, i've also seen a massive performance difference between the two zx 16v's that I've driven........ VR6 wins on midrange Im afraid......
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

My zx 16v was a weird one. Every other owner ive spoken to said there was a typical old style 16v lump ie you had to rev it and it rewarded at higher revs. Mine however had a very! noticable power leap at 2900rpm much like in vtec engine but then it was linear till the red line, no increase in push etc. Was really weird. It meant it was great down lanes etc and twisty roads as you didnt need to rev it but on the open road it was zzzzzzzzzz as it was no fun at high revs
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Get a BX 16v and he wont beat you full stop.
I hope we are talking about at a track now.
louis1
My Cars:

Post by louis1 »

Yes of course on a track would'nt dream of that on a public road, and yes "visagti16v" you are right I was woundering if I would have any chance of keeping up with him. I have not yet got my 16v MOT'd because it has no cat (altough I have been told I can do a non cat test on the car becauase it is a 1994 car). So for now I am using the Xantia V6 so I should hopefully keep up with him with that.
Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

Blimey Darren, that 16V looks stunning value, and what low mileage.
Surely that should be 167BHP though, as a P plate would have the later Gti6/Xsara VTS lump no??
Dan
Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

Blimey Darren, that 16V looks stunning value, and what low mileage.
Surely that should be 167BHP though, as a P plate would have the later Gti6/Xsara VTS lump no??
Dan
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Unfortunaly its not. He had it on ebay a few months back as a 167 so I emailed him and eventually ended up showing him photos to work out which engine it had by the inlet manifolds and it is infact a 155bhp model. A while back on here it was revealed there are only 15 P reg zx 16v's still registered with the Dvla so only a few of them will be 167's. The old owner of the zx 16v mailing list on yahoo owned one although he never showed me a photo so again it may have been a 155 :) Saying that, maybe no 167's came over here and all the P reg ones were just using up stock. They were sold for another 2 years in france and they came with the wheels that later went on the Xsara vts