REVEALED--WHAT YOUR CAR SAYS ABOUT YOU.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I think I can safely say there isn't a single common component on these 2 cars. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I beg to differ:What about the old Kent motor, then?
http://www.motorbase.com/engine/by-id/20
Its probably fun to drive because it is so much like a Mk1 Fiesta, before the Fiesta got lardy- I'm not knocking it, I like it!!!( apart from the ugliness)
My old Mk Fiesta 1100 was one of my favourite cars.
There is,or was the last time I was there, a bizarre exhibit in the National Maritime Museum- a cutaway Ka!!!![?][?]
God alone knows what its doing there........Its on a stand in the bit about international trade, and I can only assume that Ford paid to have it there, as a sort of product placement.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Well I humbly stand corrected on the Kent engine, I was under the impression it had changed an awful lot over the years. (In fact I bet only the basic ironwork remains)
Speaking of maritime Fords, there was an article in a mag a few years back (I can't remember which one) about an amphibian car based on the Fiesta mkIV, It looked mad, like one of those kiddies rides at the funfair which float round but with Fiesta headlamps! (bet that never had your sodding Kent engine! ;)
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

These were available as a kit from Dutton, the idea was you also bought a crash damaged Fiesta mk3 of whatever spec you wanted, then fitted the engine, seats, trim etc into the amphibious bodyshell. Yes in theory you could have had a kent engined one, but they recommended using either an XR2i or 1.8D engine.
I seriously considered buying one of these when I used to have to pay £5 to cross the Humber bridge every day!
A bit more info about them;
http://www.4x4mag.co.uk/junefeatures/magdutton.htm
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

My god, the money I would need to be paid to cross the humber (or any other body of water for that matter) in one of those.....
That one looks like it's based on a MK III, I'm sure I saw one based on a MK IV
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

There is one based on the mk IV called the Commander
http://www.amphibiousvehicle.net/amphi/ ... utton.html
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

So there is...!
could spend hours looking at the website.
Thanks for posting!
Dan
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I saw some kind of amphibean car, i'm sure it was on Top Gear, which used Citroen hydraulics to retract the wheels when it was in the water.I can't remember much more about it other than it was horrendously expensive!
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

I also saw that feature on Top Gear. [:)]
Yes it's very expensive, and to be able to afford it, would require winning the lottery.
Here are two links about this amphibious vehicle that might be of interest:-
http://www.aquada.co.uk/
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/aquada.htm
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Hmmm, it doesn't exactly look like its made out of bits of old BX, does it!!!
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bxbodger</i>

Hmmm, it doesn't exactly look like its made out of bits of old BX, does it!!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Well no, but I take it that was the car you were refering to.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Ka, the best small car available (Strength, VFM, residual value, running costs and sheer driving pleasure) may have an old- fashioned engine but with EFI and digital sparks, you'd never know.
Nice and torquey, too, unlike a Yaris.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

didnt the old beetles used to be able to cross deep water (i seem to remember someone telling me that with all the doors shut they were watertight) obviously not trying this in a rusty one would be wise