MOT test question

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Sl4yer
My Cars:

MOT test question

Post by Sl4yer »

Hi all.
My father's 2000 (X) Laguna is due its second MOT, but a few months ago, the (electronic) mileometer ceased to function (no display at all!). This might be simple to fix, but given the problems the dealer had with the aircon last year it may not be so simple!
So the question is this: is it possible to MOT a car with no mileometer reading?
Thanks,
James
beezer

Post by beezer »

It is not specified as a component to be tested so it shouldn't fail.
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/mottestersg ... tested.htm
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Trouble is it's illegal to use on public roads and the mot needs a mileage count.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Interesting....
I thought there was no legal requirement to have a mileometer fitted (unlike a speedo) so it wasn't illegal to use. The question is if the tester could put a line through the mileage or put 'unknown' or similar. Of course, even if that were possible it would render the car almost unsellable at a later date!
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

we had a Fiat Uno where the speedo worked, but the mileometer did'nt. Each MOT had the same mileage as the previous one.
Paul.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

When HM Princess Elizabeth took the Rolls-Royce Chauffeurs'course, The mileage of the car (Which is entered into the company's records,) was written as "Considerable".
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sl4yer</i>

Interesting....
I thought there was no legal requirement to have a mileometer fitted (unlike a speedo) so it wasn't illegal to use. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
As to legality, a means of displaying the speed.
Sorry to be ambiguous.[;)]
(new year resolution - use a new big word everyday)[:D][:D]
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

hang about, i've passed two MOT's with non functioning speedo's, but the trip counter was working in both circumstances. So i thought you didnt need a working speedo, just like technically you dont need an engine in the car! If only there was a way round the emmisions test :D
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

How many testers actually test the speedo? Never yet seen it done - well no I tell a lie, a tester once took a Mk2 Fiasco of mine on a quick road test as it kept failing on the brake meeter reading on one side, so I suppose he saw that the speedo was working at that point.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The box on the MOT cert asks for 'recorded mileage'- presumably because its an electronic display there won't be anything to see so I imagine they will just put 'nil'- they certainly won't leave it blank!!!
You can get through a test with all sorts of anomolies, like no interior mirror as long as there's at least two others, i.e. the door mirrors, or a later engine only having to meet the emission standards for the date of the car its fitted to, so I can't see it being much of a problem.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the speedo is not checked in a car MOT,as for the mileage it will just be crossed out or unavailable put in the box.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

I found with some vehicles I worked on, if a torch was directed at the mileometer display in a certain position, you could actually read the display faintly.
I have seen a testers manual on the web at :-
www.motuk.co.uk/welcome.htm
I hope it might be of some assistance, further information can be obtained from this site :-
www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/infocus.htm
If you contact a L.G.V. station, and ask to speak to a Technical Officer they maybe of some assistance.