VISIBILITY

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Fast Tag????
Whut?
Go on give us a clue....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
As you've heard, its a way of going through a toll booth without having to find pennies to throw at the bucket. But it's not as refined as the american versions where you only have to slow down to about 25 mph , then again two motor way lanes droping into 2 40mph lanes, it could get messy!
The metal fillaments, no mater how small have a grounding effect on the signal to the 'Fast Tag' unit. How it works is a little bit on the black magic side of things, who do voodoo and all that!
On the heat matter, what about a 240volt inverter and a small Delongi oil heater? There not instantly hot, but not bad!
Or wrap a copper pipe round the exhaust and link it into the water system. Lets face us the exhaust gets pretty hot pretty quick!
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">what about a 240volt inverter and a small Delongi oil heater<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
As long as you don't want to actually start the car!
Not allowing for the inverter losses (which are significant), even a 500W heater would draw over 40 Amps, and flatten the battery in a very short time.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oilyspanner</i>

I have fitted into numerous boats and a 63 VW camper a device called a propex heater, Stewart
So where can i find one (as a means of heating the car on frosty mornings)
Marty.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Robin</i>
I seem to recall it was usually the cars with flat screens so there would be no curvature to take up the rapid expansion, Anglia and Cortina come to mind plus a few others. We were an old Ford dealership after all. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I only use hot, not boiling water, and do it as Dave B says.
Were not all the Cortinas and Anglias (apart from the E04A and E494A pre-1953) curved screens?
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

The sad thing is, half of these frosted/misted up cars could be put un garages overnight but their owners leave valuable cars out in the street and fill their garages up with junk insted. Duh.
You guys all drive safe in this icy weather.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I usually use the two keys method, go out start the car, lock it and go in to have more coffee, in the past I have tried a mains fan heater on low power which did a grand job. I believe the ultimate gadget is a Kenlowe hot start device which plumbs into the vehicles cooling system, there was an article on it in Diesel Car mag a few years ago the thing has a neat bumper mounted socket, plug to mains set timer and go out to a warm engine, the car must derfrost very rapidly after that, as well as the benefits of warm oil etc etc
Merry Holidays I have stopped working now!!!
Stewart
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by turbolag</i>

The sad thing is, half of these frosted/misted up cars could be put un garages overnight but their owners leave valuable cars out in the street and fill their garages up with junk insted. Duh.
You guys all drive safe in this icy weather.
Turned my garage into a room (well 2 TBH).... Wife not keen on me opening french doors and parking Xant on laminate flooring.... Cant immagine why[?][;)]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oilyspanner</i>

I usually use the two keys method, go out start the car, lock it and go in to have more coffee, Merry Holidays I have stopped working now!!!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Tried that with Xant - doesnt like to be locked using remote key when running, and keeps unlocking itself if i put key in lock....
AX on the other hand does this perfectly!
Ragandbone
My Cars:

Post by Ragandbone »

I cover my car windows with two old towels. Keeps the worse of the frost off. I drive to work very early in the morning and can not believe the number of fools who are peering through half frozen up screens.
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Martyhopkirk, I may have one in the (full) garage along with half a BX! when I pluck up courage to look. Re the two key method I knew there was a reason I dont have a Xant, that and the clutch clip;)
Stewart
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Turned my garage into a room (well 2 TBH).... Wife not keen on me opening french doors and parking Xant on laminate flooring.... Cant immagine why<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">You wanna put your foot down son. If my missus ever moaned that my 406 was blocking her view of the telly i'd give 'er a dry slap!
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Oh the memories of having a complete dashboard and interior strewn around the lounge!
When I was a wet-behind-the-ears 18 year old, I decided to use a wire brush drill to descale my metro wheels in the kitchen. I can still see the dust now.......
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oilyspanner</i>

Martyhopkirk, I may have one in the (full) garage along with half a BX! when I pluck up courage to look. Re the two key method I knew there was a reason I dont have a Xant, that and the clutch clip;)
Stewart
Cheers Stuart - They are not that bad really[;)]
Mind you still have not found a good home for the CB radio to live on the dash, just too many buttons and things.[:D]
Happy Christmas
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

10 4 Have you got a copy Good Buddy ?
What's your call sign? Come On! [:)]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Pan Handler.[;)]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Re: VISIBILITY

Post by uhn113x »

Cheap fan heater from CPC; less than a tenner, plus a length of mains lead plugged into outside socket.
Shame we've not found any info about the Gurtners.
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension