VISIBILITY

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

beezer

Post by beezer »

I remember my dad having a simple sheet of plastic with double sided adhesive foam surround which 'double glazed' the rear screen of his Triumph Herald. I got him a stick on electric jobbie but he never bothered fitting it. Too new fangled.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Hot water, Triplex toughened screen (remember those?)and bang. Oh such a pleasure hoovering up all those little tiny bits of glass. Just how did they get into the boot, the heater tubes, the engine bay ............
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Posted by vanny <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">What like the Picasso?
They have heated screens <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Are you sure ?
I say this, because checking around I have spoken to several people about this, and although it has heat reflective glass, I am reliabily informed it does not have a heating element in it !
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

most heated front screens have very fine elements in them, if you look closly you should be able to see them, they look like wavey lines going top to bottom.
dom
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

My Dad seems to think so, there are deffinately lines in the screen, connectors on the sides and there is a point at the top where there is no wires and the Fast Tag will work. Apperently loads of cars (Audi's expecially) have heated screens and there a pain for causing problems with the fast tag. I get the impression there pretty common on modern cars, but i know nothing about modern cars and gadgets having a humble BX :(
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Fast Tag????
Whut?
Go on give us a clue....
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkwheel</i>

Have to say not sure about the sill, dangerous and Illigal bit.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Fairly sure its illigal to have a gas appliance lit in a moving veichal - whether this just applies to caravans and motor homes or not I am unsure. This is why you are not supposed to run your fridge on gas whilst towing - I think its more likely down to the risk of ecaping gas in the event of a crash, so a small 250ml gas cannister - whilst big enough to cause some serious grief if exploding in a confined space - is not in the same league as a 9kg propane cylinder.....
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Fast Tag????
Whut?
Go on give us a clue....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
it enables you to near enough carry on driving without stopping at the toll booth, as its an automated service.
but, then not having one myself, i might be wrong.
dom
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Robin</i>

Hot water, Triplex toughened screen (remember those?)and bang. Oh such a pleasure hoovering up all those little tiny bits of glass. Just how did they get into the boot, the heater tubes, the engine bay ............
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I must have been very lucky over the past-odd winters and as many cars then, Robin! [}:)]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Fairly sure its illigal to have a gas appliance lit in a moving veichal - whether this just applies to caravans and motor homes or not I am unsure<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
In the early eighties I worked for an Asphalting company, and it was normal practice then to light up the propane burners under the pots on the back of the truck before setting out to the job-that way it was nicely melted ready for the lads to start work.
It was not a problem with the police, and there were a lot more traffic cops around then as well, the only places they couldn't go with the pots lit were the tunnels-Blackwall, Rotherhithe, and Dartford ( where you can use a fast-tag...)- Limehouse link wasn't open then.
The firm, General Asphalte, in Kentish Town, is long defunct, but the Directors had a CX Pallas each-chosen instead of Jags or Granadas because they could take loads of roofing felt, blocks of asphalt, etc, if the wagons were all out.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

uhn113x, have to say it was not me wot got caught out!
I just had the job back then as young grease monkey of cleaning up the mess after the embarrased owner drove in, usually frozen to death and unable to understand why it broke!
I seem to recall it was usually the cars with flat screens so there would be no curvature to take up the rapid expansion, Anglia and Cortina come to mind plus a few others. We were an old Ford dealership after all. Had a bay for each area of work, engine, gearbox, brakes etc.
Had a rule here too that you never put the hub caps back on until the car was fully finished. We had to push it from bay to bay. Had one guy jump in a car and drove straight into a steel pillar, no brakes fitted and it was in the engine bay while parts were being delivered !!!! He didn't notice the hub caps in the bag on the passenger seat. 40 years later the same thing still happens - human error or is the law of sod?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I've allways used hot (not boiling) water for de-icing and never had a problem, the secret is to pour the water on slowly along the top of the screen and let it run down, don't just launch the whole pot full at it, that may well bugger it up.
The only down side to it is you create a mini skating rink outside your back door when the water hits the deck, ouch!!.
Dave
beezer

Post by beezer »

When I'm fortunate enough to be parked near a house I use a hairdryer (sometimes hot air gun) to clear the screen. Works on frozen doors and locks too.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I have fitted into numerous boats and a 63 VW camper a device called a propex heater, I used to get them ex BT (Grey vans), its a simple propane burner, heat exchanger and fan with a flue, gas and 12 volts gets you between 1,2 and 2,8 KW of dry heat,at the press of a button, I have a spare somewhere???
Stewart
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Had a rule here too that you never put the hub caps back on until the car was fully finished.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I do the same thing myself, especially when the job involves steering / suspension etc. It's worked a couple of times too, though I had to scratch my head to remember what I'd fogotten to do...