VISIBILITY

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

VISIBILITY

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well this morning was colder than normal, and we got frost on the cars. Also at the time I left the house it's dark.
So given that there is poor visibility, and that the cars are frosted up. What the hell do people think they are doing, by not getting the frost out of the way, and driving with the view obstructed by all that frost, and peering out of a tiny area the size of a small monitor screen, usually even less. On top of that they dont even put their lights on, and then drive like an idiot not taking into account that with the frost about that the road surface could actually be more slippery.
The weather forcast this morning mentioned that we could have a few days of this, great so that means more grief from the unprepared plonkers that do not adapt their driving to suit the conditions on the road. [:(!]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I thought it couldn't just be me this morning. Got to work 0630Hrs. After watching all the d**kheads with the little hole in the front screen and that was about it. GET A GRIP IT'S WINTER!!! DON'T YOU KNOW. Aaaaaaaargh. Has De-icer gone up in cost? can't your average mortorist afford it anymore? Is the goverment now controlling the stock of de-icing agents for the common man? Aaaaaaaaaargh again. Phew rant over.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Firstly you need to clear a letterbox size piece of windscreen, then get moving, you may find it helps to be totally stupid and not understand the heater controls, In order to save the battery its better to stay in stealth mode by not using lights for the journey to work, why not pass the time on your drive by making a few phone calls, keep vehicle weight down by not having screenwash and remember wiper blades last forever, use the FORCE.
Rant over
Stewart
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Heated windscreens are just about the **only** thing I miss about having a Ford company car.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Yes, I too have a heated front windscreen on my Ford.
I find it excellent for clearing the windscreen, and it will clear it a lot before the heater can have any effect.
Ford fitted Triplex screens with this feature built in.
So why is it we don't see this feature on other makes of cars.
It has obvious safety benefits,[:)] all cars should have them fitted.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I saw heated front screens in the Tweeks catalogue, a bit pricey at around £300 or so but they say they can do one for any car , batches of ten though, anyone???
Stewart
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ACTIVE8</i>

So why is it we don't see this feature on other makes of cars.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
What like the Picasso?
They have heated front screens, totally screws up FastTags for the Liverpool tunnel!
Glad im not driving at the moment, seems to be more muppets and SUV shopping trolleys on the roads than usual!
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I had a brand new Rover 200 vi 1999.This had heated washer jets.When you turned on the rear dimister,the mirrors & w/jets heated up.By the time you had scrape`d the ice off,the washers were hot.Brillient at keeping the w/screen clear.As aposed to a heated w/screen,this must cost peanuts on mass prodused(?) cars,why not fit them to all cars????
Sorry about spelling,my minds gone blank.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Went out to car (large white block of ice) at 7am - switched gas fire on low (about 500w output) and opened rear vent quaterlight window (this is 3 door AX).
Went back at 7.20 - interior warm ish but all windows and roof devoid of ice. Once moving stayed this way for trip to work.
Gas fires.... Cant beat em!
Note to small children - having a gas fire in your car is silly, dangerous and illigal, so unless you have no functioning heater matrix, just dont do it.[;)]
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Have to say not sure about the sill, dangerous and Illigal bit.
Some east german trabants, also some czech skoda's and Tatra's had auxiliarry heaters fitted. Some under the rear seats, others in the cabin. All ran off parrafin, or heating oil, or whatever the hell you tipped into them, factory fitted no less.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I know the answer to why modern cars don't have heated front screens like Fords. The reason is.... you guessed it Ford, though they didn't come up with the idea were the first to patten it. So no bugger else wants to pay Ford any money for the idea of how to make front de-missting screens. Also my Lada 4X4 niva had heated screen washer jets and you could plug in from a mains power or seperate car battery a device that would warm the engine and interior. It was built in to the car heater and was a small electric heater plumbed in to the coolant. So warm engine less choke easier starting. Nice and toasty on those end of night shifts in the winter.
beezer

Post by beezer »

This is what you need:
http://www.espar.co.uk/prod03.htm
Warm as toast!
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Who remembers the electric windscreen heaters which attached with rubber suckers?
Everyone had them in the 60s - it's time someone produced a modern equivalent.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

I have always found a kettle or two of hot water more effective that de-icer. The answer to your next question is: No, it does not crack your windscreen!
Many cars have/had petrol-driven heaters - they were an option on most BMWs, Citroen 2CV/Dyane/Ami/Mehari/DS for the Scandinavian market.
Manufactured by 'Gurtner'.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dnsey</i>

Who remembers the electric windscreen heaters which attached with rubber suckers?
Everyone had them in the 60s - it's time someone produced a modern equivalent.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yep I do!
Had one which came with my Austin 1300 - how i still wish I had it today!