Ouch.... That stung a bit

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

Ouch.... That stung a bit

Post by martyhopkirk »

Last year I had a 1.8 Laguna RT Sport.

Fully Comp with buisness use as a nurse it came to £375.
This year I have a Xantia 2.0 HDi Forte / LX
Fully comp comes to £614!
The only difference is in July I wrote the Laguna off on a shopping trolley park in B & Q. Ouch! - On line quotes using confused and a variety of other sites have produced prices from £1100 to £691 - so will have to stick with present insurer I think.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>ITS 4 ME/NIG £691.14
DIRECT CHOICE/Fortis £1034.19
ENDSLEIGH £1135.29

CHURCHILL unable to offer this class of use

KWIK-FIT unable to offer this class of use
MORE TH>N unable to quote for any business use
ADMIRAL insurer unable to quote for your details
DIRECT LINE <u><font color="red">insurer opted out. click name for info</font id="red"></u> </i><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
What does that mean - opted out??? They already insure me!!!!!
Not tried the co-op yet.....
The moral of this story - beware the steel hoops in tarmac @ B&Q.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

http://www.insurance.co.uk/session/scre ... efault.asp
..seem pretty good.
I always use NFU Mutual now though, usually cheaper than anywhere else, and they were prepared to cover me for business use, and cover the car for 'Any Driver' which some insurers won't touch with a bargepole now.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

The wife and I both pay a little more insurance then you would normaly. Buisness insurance for a solicitor is a little bit of a p**s take as it puts £90 on the premium. Saying that the insurance on the Xsara (VTR model) was £20 less than the old ZX TD even with the speeding points.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I went through Budget the last time,( I must be a smart person...... ) and did it on line- TPF&T £156.49, including business use which I need to get my expenses. The car, being a 15 yr old BX is worthless other than as transport for me, so I wanted it as cheap as possible!!!!
Quite reasonable, I thought, considering the outrageous sums Direct Line and the like wanted.
Interestingly, the BX's predessessor was a 205XS,with the old backsloping 1400, which was not as easy to insure as I thought it would be- the reason?-was it the twin webbers?, the sporting pretensions?,( it certainly flew....) No!!!! according to two of the firms I went to for quotes, It couldn't run on unleaded!!!!!!![?][?]bizarre, or what?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Nope still getting outragous quotes.
Last year i was unfortunate enough to have 2 crashes in one week (monday & friday) - Both not my fault and both settled with all costs recovered. BUT despite that last fact these are still counted as claims! (because I have F/C insurance and went through my own company for the minimum of hassle).
Sadly I thought Fully Comp meant if some idiot reverses into your side and stoves it in, once all is settled and insurance has their money back then it wont affect my premium, not so if I want that then I have to pursue a claim aginst the other persons company myself - something I did do once and it still gives me sleepless nights thinking about the aggro.
Looks like if I want a nice new (fastish) car to lug me and the caravan then I will have to cough up!
Needless to say - black box has not been declared!.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Needless to say - black box has not been declared!.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Neither has mine! ---- I had two cars, both insured with Churchill. A minicab driver ran into the back of the 205 at a T junction. Churchill recovered costs from the third party, and my NCB was OK. However when in due course I got a renewal notice, it showed the claim on my record. I thought that was unfair - but imagine when I got the renewal for the second car. The claim was showing on there as well. Churchill wouldn't listen, so I found another insurer for the Xantia.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bxbodger</i>

Interestingly, the BX's predessessor was a 205XS,with the old backsloping 1400, which was not as easy to insure as I thought it would be- the reason?-was it the twin webbers?, the sporting pretensions?,( it certainly flew....) No!!!! according to two of the firms I went to for quotes, It couldn't run on unleaded!!!!!!![?][?]bizarre, or what?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Very bizarre. Sounds like a similar sort of excuse to the one they gave a friend of mine when she tried to insure ancient and almost worthless Saab 900 automatic (carb, non turbo), "We can't cover that, its a hot hatch!"
Before that she had a 1970 Triumph Vitesse, one company wouldn't cover her for that because the clueless callcentre person said there was no such car as a Triumph Vitesse, and she must be talking about a Rover 800 Vitesse. So they sent her a quote through the post - for a 1970 Rover 800 !
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Gee's,
you guys pay stupendous amounts for insurance. To insure a personal import (never sold out here) Citroen CX2500 GTi Turbo out here it costs me about 135quid a year ... Fully insured so it's covered for everything & anything.
seeya,
Shane L.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Ahh yes, but UK insurance is a law unto itself which usually involves claiming a license to print money........
My car insurance actually went down when I declared my male flatmate as my partner (by about £35) If I had him just as a named driver it went up by £25. I'll be gay for a £60 reduction!!