The worst/best bodge thread.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Had the same problem on my own moped, throttle cable snapped at twistgrip, wisely I removed the outer and tied it to the rear brake pedal (having slackened rear brake cable off), almost as exciting as a later get me home throttle cable bodge on Honda CB750, those bikes had an opening cable and a closing one I wisely again just swapped them over and the throttle worked backwards! How did I survive??
Stewart
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Not exactly a bodge, but at the garage where I worked many moons ago, there was a standard procedure for replacing a steering wheel which had been removed: put the wheel on the splines and the nut on just a few threads, drive a straight course up the road, pull the wheel off the splines, and replace it in the straight-ahead position. Worked very well until (yes, you've guessed it) one mechanic realised too late that he'd forgotten to replace the nut...
Then there was the time when the boss drove an MOT candidate fast onto the ramp, pulled on the handbrake and the whole assembly pulled out of the rusty floorpan.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dnsey</i>

Then there was the time when the boss drove an MOT candidate fast onto the ramp, pulled on the handbrake and the whole assembly pulled out of the rusty floorpan.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Did it fail then?[}:)]
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

had a vauxhall carlton td, radiator went south and they are somewhat rare and expensive so i put a petrol radiator in...intercooler wouldnt fit anymore so i replaced it with lengths of drainpipe, after i painted the drainpipe black it blended quite well into the engine bay
burns

Post by burns »

I fixed a split rad hose on my old Uno(blegh) by cutting it in half, removing the split bit and then fixing the ends back together using a garden hose joiner. It was still fine when I sold the car a year later:D. It also a steering gaiter held on with a zip tie:D.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Fog light held in with bathroom sealer. Worked a treat.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Many years ago driving back from the Gold Coast in the days when it was almost all single lane road with gravel edges and I was in a side valve Ford Prefect (or Defect as we called it) when it overheated. crawled to a shop cum servo and allowed it to all cool down whereupon my old mate suggested a cure from the early days of motoring which we tried and it worked.
Put the white of a couple of eggs into a nice cold system and start the car. As the water circulates and begins to 'iss out of the numerous leaks, the egg white gets in the holes and as it gets cooked and turns white, it seals off the leak. The idea was to flush the cooling system and fit a new radiator as soon as possible thereafter, but being a young apprentice that sounded a bit expensive so I just left it there and about a year or so later sold the old girl without ever touching it again.
Used to get the odd comment from passengers though "what's that I can smell cooking" which for the sake of saving embarrassment was a question never answered.
Alan S
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

<font color="blue">"Servicing rear brakes on a Xantia this summer found large splodge of what appeared to be "Gun Gum" or similar between caliper and suspension arm??????? made the caliper sit on the p*ss and wore the pads wedge shaped but WHY?????"</font id="blue">
That's not gun gum Stewart, that's the product of disimilar metal corrosion, alluminium alloys in contact with steel are famous for it, a natural occurence on the Xantia (and other Cits I believe), I had it on mine a year or two ago, the build up becomes so bad that it pushes the caliper over and into contact with the disc, it causes the rear brakes to squeel embarrasingly which was why I tackled it, its bloody tough stuff to chip away too.
Not had it back since, a liberal clouting of moly grease on the caliper and arm sorted it, though it leaves the caliper mating face somewhat pitted.
Dave
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

No Dave I am familiar with the dissimilar metal corrosion, this definitely was a cement with fibres in it, like gun gum or similar.
stewart