V11 - be aware

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnM52

V11 - be aware

Post by JohnM52 »

On Friday last I received from DVlA a V11 - Licence or SORN expires on your vehicle on 31/12/04. I thought that odd and recehcked the licence disc - it does expire on 31/01/05. I was concious of the fact that a V11 which does not elicit a response by taxing or SORN notification can lead to an automatic penalty at the end of the month following expiry.
I decided to contact DVLA - not an easy task becasue on the phone number for Customer contact given on the V11 there is no option to speak to any human. I used the (driving)Licence enquiry line and got through very quickly. THe helpful lady checked and found that hey still had the car SORNed from when I bought it in Jnaury 2004 but they had missed the fact that I purchased a licence for it starting Feb 2004. She confirmed that had I failed to react by questioning the V11 that a fine would have been likely - although no doubt it would have taken a long time to unravel that. She asked that I fax a copy of the licence disc and a note of when and where purchased to her for the matter to be rectified.
Don't ignore a V11 - even if it obviously incorrect.
DervDonkey
My Cars:

Post by DervDonkey »

Interesting. That confirms that DVLA haven't got anything even closely approximating a clue.
In the last year, my partner and I have scrapped two vehicles and sent the paperwork to DVLA. I never expected to hear anything further about them. About 3 months ago, we were sent a pair of V11s, one for each (scrapped) car. On phoning DVLA (as you say, John, not an easy task), the helpful person there told me to ignore the V11s and write to them confirming the status of the vehicles - which I duly did.
End of last week we got 2 £80 penalty notices in the post. Looks like this one'll wind up in court, 'cos I'm not paying them.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Maybe the D.V.L.A. sourced their I.T. from the same source that the C.S.A. did!![:D][:D] LOL
So, it could have gone T**S up too!![:D]
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

According to the DVLAs own admission their database is about 25% incorrect. Around 40% of stops using ANPR and the DVLA database turn out to be down to incorrect data.
Doesn't give much hope for the ID card database does it.
"Sorry sir, you can't have that heart transplant today, you are not on the database".
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

The DVLA usually now send a confirmation af any thing you have advised them (car sold/scrapped etc), so keep a look out in the post if you change or scrap your car and act upon it again if you get no confirmation, could save a lot of hassle in the long run.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Yet another useless government agency that gets little right. If it did its job properly all HP agreements and others which use the vehicle as security would be registered on it like your house and realy it shouldn't be beyond the abilities of the overpaid to devise a scheme for registering insurance (and MOT's for that matter as well.) After all why should we have to check for finance with a privately owned organization for finance proplems when purchasing a car.
Of course another problem is that that it is really only law abiding people who work who will actually pay the fines. I can't say I have noticed a reduction in the obviously untaxed and unroadworthy vehicles since the SORN provisions were enforced.
Jeremy
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I have just received a shiny new log book for my recently purchased 405, don't know the bloke whose name is on it though!
Also just had exactly the same problem as JohnM52 with the tax disc and V11 for my old Nissan (well someone's got to buy them haven't they, unfortunately :-( )
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

We suddenly realised that we hadn't recieved the V11 (or the new log book for that matter) for the wife's BMW, some 4 months after buying it. Phones DVLA (cheated - have unlimited free landline calls so used www.saynoto0870.co.uk), to be told that "your house doesn't exist on the database, sir. Are you sure you live there?".
Their new postcode-related address finder doesn't have my house number for my postcode...so they guessed it...wrong! After informing them that the other 4 cars registered here still recieve their SORN reminders, the new log book and V11 (sadly) arrived the next week.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Homer</i>

According to the DVLAs own admission their database is about 25% incorrect. Around 40% of stops using ANPR and the DVLA database turn out to be down to incorrect data.
Doesn't give much hope for the ID card database does it.
"Sorry sir, you can't have that heart transplant today, you are not on the database".
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
We've had no end of bother with the Tax Credit people. They sent us £2000 which we were never convinced about. We queried this lots and were assured that this money was indeed ours and it appeared on a dozen or so award letters. Then they decided they had overpaid us.
If the ID card thing happens it will be a total fiasco.