AX a go-go (but bl**dy freezing)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

AX a go-go (but bl**dy freezing)

Post by martyhopkirk »

Ax has now been pressed into daily service.
Coolant flushed and changed ( was no anti freeze in it?! - there is now), Oil and filters done and new Cam belt (awkward and ready for changing, absoloutly NO WAY was that done at 50K miles).
Car drives well, stops well and seems to be lively enough for my day to day trugging about for work...BUT
Its bloody cold....
Rad gets hot, all the way down but bugger all heat coming out of matrix in car. Guess what this weekends job is going to be?????
Thought it was going to be the erratic Hi-Fi which ate a meatloaf CD and wont give it back (and now I am growing fed up of Meatloaf...)
But No, its dashboard out time!
beezer

Post by beezer »

Maybe it ate meat loaf to keep warm....
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Hmmm....
Wonder if i can get the radio i ripped out of the Xantia to fit?
Really not looking forward to the prospect of major dashboard surgery re the heater matrix - may just buy a wooly hat.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Might have a soloution - added some Comma Rad Clean this morning - already after 20 miles some heat eeking through (and no clouds of steam).
Will keep it in till end of week and see if it makes a difference then flush again.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

That's a bonus if it works.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Now done 80 miles and not really any warmer.
Think I may be fitting a gas fire! Just not looking forward to dismantling the dash!
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Is the themostat faulty ?
Also, on the cold/warm slider, there should be some resistance - has the cable linkage to the flap snapped in the "cold" state ?
How about feeling the pipes which go through the bulkhead ?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Difficult to assess what temp the car is running at as no on dash thermostat (just a red warning light to alert you to the clouds of steam now escaping from under the bonnet!)
Main radiator gets hot from top to bottom, leave it standing at tickover for about 15 minutes and the fan cuts in.
Had a quick rummage under the bonnet and pipes do appear warm, there is some very slight resistance and i can hear a change in the blower fan note when switching from cold to hot, so I dont think its the cable. I think im unlucky enough to have a clogged matrix. Further investigation will have to wait till weekend when I have daylight to look at car in (lock up has no electric).
Still, if thats the only downside to my £500 ebay special then I wont be moaning too much!
Will look @ GSF to check price of a matrix - then possibly moan!
ps - bought a nice thermal hat and gloves with grippy bits on palms so tollerable @ present!
---------------------------
6'1" and 21 stone with AX 1.5D!