HDi vs V6

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Thunderbird

HDi vs V6

Post by Thunderbird »

Xantia Exclusive - V6 or HDi engine?
The HDi is more economic, but maintenance is hot.
How about driving pleasure? Silence? Other considerations?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Depends on who is paying the fuel bill!
//NiSk
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I'd always go for the V6, I know modern diesels are very good and much more economical, but they smell and sound awful, and I don't care much for the power delivery characteristics either.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

v6 v6 v6 v6 v6 v6........[:D][:D][:D]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Go for the diesel, spare parts readily available, V6 spares can be difficult to obtain and you will pay through the nose for them.
The cost of feeding the thing and you wont be able to give it away if you need to get shut.
One of the most important reasons for having a diesel, if you are unfortunate enough to be involved in a serious accident, better to have 12 gallons of diesel under your back seat than 12 gallons of petrol.
Dave
deelite
My Cars:

Post by deelite »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Thunderbird</i>

Xantia Exclusive - V6 or HDi engine?
The HDi is more economic, but maintenance is hot.
How about driving pleasure? Silence? Other considerations?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I had a Hdi 110 before and now a V6.
The difference in power is enormous and the V6 is giving more driving pleasure at high speeds, but the V6 is lazy under 3000rpm.
So in "normal" driving situations the Hdi is a better choise, but more noisy than the V6. Spare parts are as easy to find for the V6, but some are more expensive, for example 270€ for the Hdi - and 310€ for the V6 rear exhaust silencer.
My Hdi had a basic hydraulic suspension and i found it better than a hydractive suspension wich is more sensible and much more expensive to maintain. For example: 1 wheelsensor 170€, and with one faulty, the hydractive suspension will not function as it should be.
The Hdi runs on 6-7l diesel/100km, the V6 10-12l petrol/100km
Other consideration, the V6 and the Hdi have the same brakes, but i find they are to weak for the V6 at high speed.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

TBird: V6!
My 406 is a V6, though the initial version with 194bhp, not the more up to date 211bhp with VVC.
Super smooth, 12l/100kms in town. Choose the auto gearbox, as this can lower the fuel consumption greatly [:D], compared with a manual.
I'm gonna sell the 406 [:(]...
Besides, not everyone has a V6 [;)]
I can give you a ride on the 406 for a first contact...
deelite
My Cars:

Post by deelite »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 406 V6</i>

TBird: V6!
My 406 is a V6, though the initial version with 194bhp, not the more up to date 211bhp with VVC.
Super smooth, 12l/100kms in town. Choose the auto gearbox, as this can lower the fuel consumption greatly [:D], compared with a manual.
I'm gonna sell the 406 [:(]...
Besides, not everyone has a V6 [;)]
I can give you a ride on the 406 for a first contact...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Lower consumption with the auto gearbox???
Forget about it, a manual gearbox is always more economic
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

"Forget about it, a manual gearbox is always more economic"
Depends who is pressing the pedals!
//NiSk
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

[:D][:D] How true!
I know what a petrol with manual is: i've burned over 40L for just 120kms with a 1.8 Mondeo.
Besides, town driving in 4th at 1400rpm is a delightfull pleasure with no complains [:)]
As for maintenance, i pay the same as a HDI, around 200 euro. Damn, even VW is more expensive!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

8.8 gallons for 75 miles, 8.5 mpg.
How did you manage 8.5 mpg with a 1.8?
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Friends, I tend to agree with your observations.
The V6 is realy lazy (low binary?) at low rpm and boring to drive in the city. The HDi feels much more alive in the city. Consumption of the V6 in the city is also much higher - running costs double.
On the other hand, on open road, the V6 is like a fish in water and performs rather well. The HDi is OK for cruise speeds up to 150km/h, but won't provide a sporty response, when necessary.
Nowdays, with fuel price escalading, diesel really makes sense. However, the sound, smell and response of a 3 liter V6 petrol also has its value.
At the end, I would say it depends on how it is going to be used - mainly for city or many miles, HDi; for the road/high-way and not too many miles, V6.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Compra o V6...
Sorry, is know it's a plain english forum
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

8.5 mpg from a 1.8? Now we're starting to talk about serious motoring! I recall Colin Malkin (anyone remember him?) complaining that his Lancia Fulvia HF (a 1.6 if I recall) only managed 3(!)mpg on the Welsh stages - and that was definitly a manual box. (Anyone care to guess the year?)
//NiSk
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

At the end of the day it is down to the driving you do,
But after experiencing a v6 with K&N filter and large bore exhaust the sound still haunts me to this day, closest thing to a ferrari I ever heard, pure sex[;)][}:)][}:)]
One day [V]