Along the lines of the truck falling into the dock

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I've got the original webpage saved to disk with the pics in it, there were 10 in total. Only the small truck falls in, not the second one.
If anyone wants them emailed again let me know.
Nick
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

What do you mean Paranoid???What pics did you get?
Nick,i`ve got 10 pics,but the last one is the big truck falling in while lifting out the small truck.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Some woman being breathalised by a traffic cop or something, don't worry its nothing dodgy[:D]
Will send it back to you.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

The truck images are here now... http://tinyurl.com/6qhhv
Sadly someone has added a last one made in paint shop showing the big truck falling in too...which it didn't. Sort of spoils what was a classic sequence without interference.
David
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Yep - looks Pants (with a capital P)
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Excellent great to see the pictures. [:)]
Thanks for making it possible to see them.
Yes, it's true that last picture was incorrect, because the second recovery vehicle was being operated properly, and it did not fall in the dock.
Looking at the first recovery vehicle that attended the scene, it would appear that he did not use his Hiab crane stabiliser legs.
Clearly the car with water in it, will weigh more than a normal dry car. You can see by the way that the small recovery vehicle was leaning, before it went the dock that the inevitable was about to happen.
The driver was probably in a hurry, but pulling out the stabilisers legs would have taken a very short time. Also now he might have had a long wait, to lift out his large weight.
I think it proves that if a little more planning had been put into it, then he wouldn't end up looking such a muppet. [:o)] Who now also needs extra training, and probably a new job.
Yes, this is a classic example of how not to do it !
Just imagine how would he explain it to his boss. [:)]
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

and all the people standing right by the edge gawping! wouldn't want that swinging over my head!
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Maybe his call to the boss might go like this, " Hello Pat, you know you told me to wash the truck this morning, well I did, but it might take a little longer than it normally does to dry! " [:D]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Sorry Paranoid,dont know whats gone on there.Thanks David for posting them.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

http://s12.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2277 ... AY2DFK1QAY
Along the same lines, but video... (contains swearing!)
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Now, that looks expensive, Chinooks are not cheap.
I hope the crew got out O.K.
Unimog

Post by Unimog »

Well the pictures, and video clip posted are interesting! [:)]
It's good that someone managed to record what happened.
For the rest of to look at.
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

regarding the truck wash sequence
If you look closely the waterside stablising leg IS out.
comparing the later pics with the early ones there's a gap where the stone it was set on has broken out.
still the operators fault but he's not as much to blame as if he had omitted the legs altogether.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mipster</i>

regarding the truck wash sequence
If you look closely the waterside stablising leg IS out.
comparing the later pics with the early ones there's a gap where the stone it was set on has broken out.
still the operators fault but he's not as much to blame as if he had omitted the legs altogether.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
O.K. well looking at the pictures again, this time with the monitor screen brightness at the highest level. It sheds more light [:)] on a grey area, on what looks like a grey overcast/normal day in Galway.
Although as I am also posting as I review the pictures, it means I feel I now need sunglasses [8D] to look at the forum. [:D] LOL
It now makes it a lot easier to see more details in the picture sequence. I am surprised that both the recovery trucks did not use hardwood spreader boards or plates under the stabiliser legs. As obviously they spread the load from the small metal stabiliser legs over a wider area.
The stone that is meant to have broken out, is not very clear. The ground does slope towards the dock, which does not help the recovery vehicles centre of gravity. The reason why I mentioned about the stabiliser legs in a previous post on this thread, is because the first recovery truck is leaning excessively. The chassis also appears to be twisting as it is lifting the car.
Yes, the 4th picture in the sequence shows the truck upside down, and dropping into the dock. I agree that the stabiliser looks like it has been used, but was it used properly ?
Well I think not, because the spreader pads should have been used, along with both stabiliser legs pulled out sideways as far as possible, with more downwards extension on the waterside ram to level out the truck, and help with the centre of gravity.
Therefore it's like when you are operating a fork lift, and you incline the mast backward, as soon as you can to ensure that load is safely lifted. I have used, and been trained in recovery techniques, and am qualified to operate the equipment, and fork-lifts.
The second recovery truck would appear, to have been operated more carefully, and safely. It is also by virtue of it's size not so close to the edge of the dock, and it needs to be repeated that this truck did not go for a wash/swim.
The first recovery truck is working with the Hiab at full extension, and lifting from very low, actually below where it would normally lift from. The car is obviously full of water, which greatly increases it's weight. This could mean that the Hiab is actually being overloaded.
It would be safer to use the larger truck to start with, as to use a machine that is much more capable, avoids this type of easily avoidable accident taking place.