Along the lines of the truck falling into the dock

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

Along the lines of the truck falling into the dock

Post by martyhopkirk »

http://iftk.com.br/modules.php?name=For ... pic&t=1903
This is mildly worrying, not because of the clear ferocity of the fire, or indeed how it took hold rather quickly (though they still managed to unload the bags).
No what worries me is the hapless tourists treating it like a picnic - photo 6 and 7 shows people very close just sitting around - one almost feels teh need to break out a thermos of weak lemon drink and the cheese sandwiches.....
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I dont think i would be in there as in pic 5!The lights/battery held out for a while looking at the pics.Looks like no one was hurt though,almost.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Unloading the bags didn't do much good though did it?
Most of the bags are on fire by the final pics !
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Seems the time to move the bags came.... and went..... unnoticed? lol...
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I wouldn't have been the one to go and retrieve them, its frightening the amount of radiated heat something like a vehicle fire gives out.
I remember once driving past the burning wreck of a Sierra that had been dumped in a farm gateway and set on fire. Even just driving past on the other side of the road I could feel the heat scorching the side of my face through the closed side window!
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Interesting post.
It does make you wonder about the state of the older coaches (on private plates, used on school runs etc which should have been retired some time ago)which are still used in the U.K. as this is a more modern coach.
Although the extra luggage store they attach to the rear probably does not help engine cooling air flow etc, and as they have swung it around, it appears to be in the path of the fire!!
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

As for the truck that fell into the dock, what was the driver thinking?
The car he is lifting weighs more than normal because of the water in it, and in the pictures I saw of it, the recovery truck did not have the Hiab crane legs out to give extra stability!
WHY? What a [:o)]
Imagine trying to explain that fall into the dock to your boss, and your mate that turns up with the bigger recovery vehicle, that is able to lift both you, and the car out together!
Maybe the small recovery driver was an ex Kwik T*t employee.[:D]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Where is the truck?I`ve done a search for it but still cant seem to find the pics.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Just doing the same myself - odd that.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

The pics seem to have been deleted now, but I saved them to my hd at the time. If anyone wants them send me an email.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

One thing I have always have in every car I have had is a fire extinguisher, and there's one in the wifes car as well.
She thinks i'm paranoid, but I think they should be compulsory- they only cost about a tenner !!!!
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

To right, it's best to have a means of saving your pride and joy, instead of watching it go up in flames!
I have seen one or two cars that have had them fitted, and with well thought out locations for mounting it.
After all accessibility, and speed are very important when you need it in a hurry!
I once saw a programme where in Eastern Europe somewhere the police stopped an overloaded car. When they examined the car they also found clothing, extra fuel containers full of petrol, main battery insecure, and a spare insecure battery.
All of these items were found UNDER THE BONNET!
Surely an accident waiting to happen!!
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Fire extinguishers are fine as long as they're properly secured. I used to have one rolling around in the boot of one of my BXs, until I went round a corner particularly fast and heard a clunk then a faint hissing noise. Next time I opened the boot everything was covered in a strange white powder !
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Mine's on a bracket screwed to the console in the passanger footwell- mind you with BX plastic being what it is, yanking it out in an emergency would probably have me standing by the roadside with extinguisher, bracket, and bits of BX centre console in my hand!
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I used to have 1,it got to be about 8yrs old & dented.Didn`t look like it would work,so got a new 1.Thought i`d check the old 1 out before i bined it,you guessed it,worked fine!Left white powder around the garden for ages though.
Only had the new 1 for a few months,when going down the motorway one day with the caravan on the back following my dad with his,we came across a motor bike on fire.We used my 2(1 in the van) & my dads from his `van.Saved the bike for the poor bloke(no body else stopped)but never got a new 1.Maybe will now!