Unusual uses for Cit suspension #162534

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

I used to have a little sticker, years ago, on a car I had stating any attempt to immobilise the car made by anyone other than the police was illigal and any such devices would be removed and the clamper prosecuted... cant remember where I got it, think it was an auto factors in Timperley....
Anyone know the law regarding removal of wheel clamps? (obviously not police ones)
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

There's very little in the way of laws on clamping- thats the problem!
Plus, you can have all the rights in the world on your side, but its the law of the jungle that will apply-they have the power as its their clamp on your car, and you haven't got the equipment to hand to remove it at the time.
You end up having to pay to avoid the lift and tow- the police are as reluctant to get involved in these disputes as they are in any other civil dispute, or criminal dispute for that matter!
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Yeah, it would seem that they are more bothered about, installing more, and more speed cameras, with which they screw the motorist with![:(!][:(!]
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<u>How about the this one then ! </u>
When you go shopping, and along with all the other shoppers are looking for that hard to find parking space.
In this game of musical chairs with cars, if you set the suspension on high, then maybe you can spot that elusive space, and get there before someone else does. [:D]
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Done that in field car parks before makes finding car very easy.
When watching the film scum always wince when phil daniels gets smacked with the snooker balls in a sock, imagine what a sphere would do......[;)]
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ACTIVE8</i>

When lowered surely a Citroen presents a clamper with a problem!
As for the front, well it looks like it would be too difficult to do that as well!![:D][:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
He he he!
At uni there is a large restriction on parking (that being there are no spaces) so the uni has it's own clamping team. There really sound guys, generally only clamping people who deserve it, and have the things off 've finished paying the fine!
So i had a conversation with them one day, and we decided that with the 17" alloys, and the suspension down, there is no way what sever they can get there clamps onto my car :D seems like permission to park where i like really!
But for a normal BX, just put one corner against the kerb on full lock, means theres only one place to put the clamp and it's probably too much effort!
Or even better, park the car in high, when you come back drop the suspension and sue the council sideways for the damage :D
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

I have been in a car, where a another passenger opened the door, and I could hear the sound of metal against stone, it was a slightly higher kerb, and the bottom of the door had contacted the kerb. [:(]
Now, in a Citroen that should not happen, because the suspension will have reset itself to counter the passenger load in the car, and if you really need to, you can raise to it's highest setting. [:D]
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

I think the law on clamping, such as it is, states that if you can get the clamp off without damaging it, then you can drive away. I certainly remember an article about a handicapped woman with a Motability vehicle who was clamped, and spent 8 hours removing the clamp.
On a slightly different note, there is a municipal pound next to where I work, with all sorts of vehicles in it, from crusty travellers' vans to classic mercs - but no cits. Not one. Are cit owners too law-abiding to be lifted?
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well it looks like the clampers are now going to be regulated by the authorities, it remains to be seen as to how effective the new controls and laws will be.
With regard to the original topic, another good use of the suspension would be to set it on high, before loading the car therefore ensuring that you don't have to lean or strain, and so a better position can be used to load the car, and your back muscles will be pleased that there is less strain on them.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

During a particularly povert-stricken period recently, I discovered another use for hydropneumatic suspension - squeezing the last few drops of diesel out of the tank for the last 200 yards to the garage when running on thin air.
If your car, like my current BX, drops at the nose first when the suspension is lowered, it's just enough to send the last dregs in the tank or the fuel pipe in the right direction towards filter and pump. On the other hand, if things have got to that desperate state, it's also sending various other muck too, as I found when I changed the filter.....
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Another brilliant use of the suspension is when hooking up to a trailer. Rather than the major effort of winding the jockey wheel on the trailer, just put the suspension in low, put the towbar under the trailer, and then into high. Used to do that many years ago with a friends BX.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

My disabled Mum finds it so easy to get in and out of the Xant with it right down low...
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oscar Too</i>

I think the law on clamping, such as it is, states that if you can get the clamp off without damaging it, then you can drive away.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I agree, if you don't damage the clamp, you are perfectly entitled to disassemble whatever parts of your own car in order to remove it. However if it took 8 hours I should think the clampers would have added 3 more clamps by then[:p]
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

If you have a large tow bar bracket on your car, and have a need to hold something down, so you can work on it, then if the car, and therefore the bracket is lowered onto the item it will hold it down securely.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andycarter</i>

I agree, if you don't damage the clamp, you are perfectly entitled to disassemble whatever parts of your own car in order to remove it. However if it took 8 hours I should think the clampers would have added 3 more clamps by then[:p]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It's actually very very easy to remove a "standard" style clamp. The trick is to carry a 12 air compressor in the car with you. The procedure is:
Jack up car so that wheel is just loose within the clamp.
Rotate wheel so that valve is visable, remove dust cover, deflate tyre (completely)
Jack car up as far as you possibly can, squash the tyre, and wiggle the clamp off. As the gap between the top strap and the wedges is larger than the diamater of the wheel, this is now possible, as the tyre is no longer a "solid" component.
Re-inflate tyre (or fit spare if you have no compressor)
Drop car to ground and drive away.
For ultimate effect, put the clamp in the boot and take it back to the clampers, stating "I think this is yours" [:D]
I've done this quite a few times now, and it really works. Mainly due to the draconian rent-a-cops at university.
David.