Unusual uses for Cit suspension #162534

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

DLM
My Cars:

Unusual uses for Cit suspension #162534

Post by DLM »

Pulled car over to side of road to take phone call. While parked, and just after answering phone, there was a squeal of brakes, due to a dog suddenly running across from the other side of the road. It was hit, though hopefully not too hard, by the braking car.
The dog then ran, yelping and very shocked, under the car in front of me, hotly pursued by the concerned dog-owner and his friends. In a couple of seconds, the dog decided that the area under the front of my BX was a better bet, and ran under the front of the car.
What to do? Simple. Raise suspension, and the owner & friends grabbed the dog and carried it away safely. Not what was hydropneumatic suspension was designed for, but it did the required job......
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Ah, the benefits of owning a Citroen are many!
Vive la difference! [:D]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I had the opposite happen to me.
I had a dog, a Kelpie that is a working dog, hence hyperactive by nature and both adventureous as well as inquisitive.
One morning I went outside and called her only to find she was nowhere to be found.
We were in the process of turning the place upside down searching when we heard a very mournful wimper come out from under the CX and upon a hands & knees inspection, there she was all 4 legs spreadeagled on the ground, chin firmly stuck to the ground, sighing deeply, and a CX sitting across her where it had come down during the night as she slept, doubtless attracted there on a cold night by the heat and protection.
It was always a sight to behold whenever I parked the car close to her if she was napping out in the yard; she'd look at it with a look of displeasure turn the eyes far enough to show the whites and slunk off elsewhere.
She never got caught again.
Alan S
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Off topic slightly - but does anyone know any more about the C15 van fitted with Hydro suspension in this months Citronean?
What a bonkers modification! - Good, but bonkers - how long must that have taken?
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Has any one seen the 4x4 2CV conversion in this months practical classics mag? 6 others to choose from as well, a god old read.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Saw that too - there is a couple of pages devoted to them in this months 2CVGB mag too - I want one so bad it hurts (just above the elbow). Looks a reasonably straightforward conversion too.
Must add one to my wish list.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Another use maybe?
Stuck in traffic too lazy, or maybe it's too unsafe to get out.
As long as you are not moving, and have been stationary some time.
With the view in front obscured/blocked by a 4 X 4, (a too regular occurrence nowadays) there is a possibility that you can check out why you are being held up, by putting the suspension on the high setting briefly.[:D] To see through their vehicle if it's at all possible.
Note this is a sarcastic post, and one should not drive with it on this setting.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Yep, they're great, I've often left people queuing stranded when our village pond floods the road.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Yet another use!
When lowered surely a Citroen presents a clamper with a problem!
A clamp cannot be put on the rear, too little space! HA HA LOL
As for the front, well it looks like it would be too difficult to do that as well!![:D][:D]
So the clamping [:o)] would be left very confused!!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Good point - and very difficult to tow away too.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Hey i do that too!!!!
The front is more problematic,, though difficult [:D]
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I remember reading an article about wheel clamping where they asked someone from a private clamping company what the most difficult vehicles to clamp were "Large 4x4s and Citroens" he said.
It is still possible, though tricky, to clamp the front wheels on Citroens, but I found a solution to that. Screwfix sell wheel clamps for £29.99. Simply buy two of these and clamp your own front wheels! If the clamping company cut one of your clamps off to fit their own, you can have them prosecuted for criminal damage [:D]
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Recently in the news, and something to make you [:D][:D]
Hackney community college is running a B.T.E.C course in, wait for it!
Vehicle immobilization and conflict management.
Basically they are being trained how to put a wheel clamp on, (which obviously is very technical, [:D]LOL) and how to deal with the resulting conflict.
WHAT NEXT! [:D][:D]
You must be a complete plank if you need training on this!
Note to clamper.[:o)][:o)][:o)] Putting a clamp is not a MENSA test, and the conflict is caused by your dodgy moronic way of extorting money from people.
They should get a life and a proper job, although as they are usually members of DENSA[:D] and brain[xx(] then that probably would not be possible!
Personally I would, if they went under my car lower it, get the T**T immobilized, and see how they like it!
Or if I had a clamp in my car, it would find its way on to their wheel very quickly.[8D]Touche.
What are you going to do now Mr clamper, telephone the college for help?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I have 2 London Borough of Waltham Forest wheelclamps-they are handy for the trailer-I could have got more but the novelty wore off!!!
I picked them up at the side of the road- the clamps and chains are excellent, but they use cheap padlocks so people just cut them off and chuck the clamp[}:)]- I have also seen people driving with them dragging under the car[:D][:D]
I tried to fit one to the BX with the suspension on low and it was difficult, but possible- the chain loops around the strut and is then passed back through the clamp and padlocked. Waltham Forest, however,also use a four wheel lift, and I have seen cars ticketed and lifted from the road outside my office window within 10 minutes of being left, without even being clamped, so I wouldn't rely on the fact that some clampers have difficulty with Citroens!!
On the other hand, they tend mainly to do higher value cars, as someone is more likely to want to pay to get it mobile again, so Cits may be left alone on that basis.
On the whole though, its best just to park legally and walk a bit...............
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Too right![:D]
I would rather walk get the exercise, and feel happy that the car is safe from the damage that a clamper could inflict upon it.