French Number Plates

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

French Number Plates

Post by martyhopkirk »

Quick one....
Anyone know where I can get some French number plates made up (but with my reg on) - apart from France?
Ta.[:D]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Sorry mate why?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Fancy a set of French Euro style plates to put on my car (but displaying the UK number) - Just prefer the look and type face.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Only ask as in Birmingham the 'gangsta's' are trying to fool the cops with uk number plates made up to look like those from Germany. As far as I know it's an offence to display the wrong type face / font on you number plate (as well as false details) and you can get pulled by the cops. Mate of mine had one with a slight lean (not quite italic) on the lettering , got stopped had to put on new plates and be re MOT'd, then take the paper work to the cops to be signed off from prosictution. Total cost was about £150 as the car failed the MOT on ..... number plate bulbs and...... plates not 100% legible. He'd used the old ones which had had been stord in the garage and had started to come apart. As he thought the car would pass he went to any old garge and had to pay for a re test and the new plates that were supplied by the same garage. What a donkey I thought but you live and learn.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Providing they meet all the requirements in the extremely long list at http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regmark ... ements.htm you will be fine.[:D]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Characters
Height 79mm
Width (except the figure 1 or letter l) 50mm
Stroke 14mm
Space between characters 11mm
Space between groups 33mm
Top, bottom and side margins (minimum) 11mm
Space between vertical lines 19mm
Lettering should be black on a white plate at the front and a yellow at the rear.
The background surface should be reflex-reflecting but the characters must not. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
(there's more).
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

You can order "show plates" to look like anything you want, just they will not be legal if your pulled over. Here in Dorset the cops will pull over bikers for small plates or anything they feel needs a tape measure!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>

got stopped had to put on new plates and be re MOT'd, then take the paper work to the cops to be signed off from prosictution. Total cost was about £150 as the car failed the MOT on ..... number plate bulbs and...... plates not 100% legible. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Been there , done that, got the T-shirt!
Used to have "small" (read very very tiny) plates on my bike, was pulled given HORT and notice to get "faulty item" fixed... Took it to local bike shop, didnt even look @ bike just signed paperwork - rode to police station with small plates on car to hand in paperwork[}:)]
No, I fancy some French style plates (but made up in my registration) for the next time I go a visiting any Citroen meets. Just a whim of mine (I have soo many!)
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

I agree the 504 would look great with some too, to add that final 70s touch. My sister lives in France so I will have to get her to bring me a set when she next comes across, but even though they will be black and silver like our old plates, still illegal as the 504 is 1978. bug**r.