Finally Got An AX Diesel - Woo Hoo!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

Finally Got An AX Diesel - Woo Hoo!

Post by martyhopkirk »

Its not that bad either considering its an eBay special.
I now realise why all the photos were of "soft focus" rather than the seller being a numpty with the camera there are one or two more blemishes than he admits to in the item description, its clearly been in a front ender and the panel gaps are terrible - not hideously out, but more back street panel shop than propper repair shop. (will post some photos soon)
Drives fine, doesnt pull left or right, brakes in a straight line. Everything which should work does. Its had a second hand radiator (whether as a result of said front ender or not is unknown) - probbaly is my guess. Its also had a break in at some point (one of the rear quater windows is 5 years older than the rest). But that aside it seems to drive ok, no obvious problems with the clutch, gears, brakes or heating (missing the temp guage of the ZX already). No bubles in coolant either. Battery looks fairly new too.
So £500 well spent? Taxed and tested to March next year. First jobs this weekend are oil and filters change, and also whip the cam belt cover off to see whether that looks like it will need replacing or will last a few weeks. Needs 2 tyres in near future and if i can find a towbar, one of those too.
Did 85 - 90 on Mway on way home[;)] (think that was flat out) and apart froma little vibration at 55-60, all seems good.
Even came with a JVC CD player to.
Happy?[:D]
You bet...
<i>ZX retiring soon.</i>
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

So £500 well spent?
Ahem... HOW MUCH ?
1.4 / 1.5 ?
Mileage ?
500 seems a bit hight to me, unless it's got 30k genuine on the clock.
I paid 230 for mine about 6 months ago, 1.5 at 232k miles.
Sweet as a nut.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mbunting</i>

So £500 well spent?
Ahem... HOW MUCH ?
1.4 / 1.5 ?
Mileage ?
500 seems a bit hight to me, unless it's got 30k genuine on the clock.
I paid 230 for mine about 6 months ago, 1.5 at 232k miles.
Sweet as a nut.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
P reg (30/12/96) Dimension
JVC CD/Stereo. Factory sunroof.
1.5 (crimes nooooo not a 1.4 - never!)
60K - some documented SH, quite a few MOT's.
genuine set of Citroen mats in the boot(along with an umbrella and a wind up radio/torch) - in good nick. Oh and the "envelope" thingy for putting the sunshine roof in (anyone need one , cos i sure as hell wont ever use it).
Drives well, ok its a Dimension (povvy) spec, but seems ok to me.
Bearing in mind i recently went to view an N plater at a dealer with 90K up for £995 I didnt think it was too bad myself.
With MOT and Tax too if it turns out to be a lemon I will bung it in the local rag and should get my money back - nothing even remotely this close to £500 (at a P plate diesel) been advertised for months.
Nope, I dont feel hard done by (other than the decription was slightly lacking in detal about the front ender).
Had it up on the ramps this afternoon, tidy underneath. dropped the oil (black, but not gunky) and filled it with some of the Quartz 7000 I have. Bunged a new filter on. This weekend its teh turn of the coolant system and cam belt.
Only thing that I did find (kept up with wife driving ZX) was that throwing it into corners with the same reckless abandon as I do with the ZX the car rolls allarmingly - almost 2CV like.
Anyway, you paid half the cost of mine for a car with <b><i>232K</i></b> - bonkers mate![;)] Each to their own.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Nah, you got a good deal !
I just wanted something quickly because of transport problems, economical because of money problems, and cheap.
The mileage doesn't worry me, especially since it looks like a fairly new engine !!
Keep an eye on your doorlocks, and make sure you put a crooklock type thing on, oh, and believe it or not, I'd put an alarm on.
They seem to be very popular with the thieves.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Oh, and I did it's second service under my ownership last weekend, and the pads / shoes and rear shocks are scheduled for this weekend.
Welcome to 65-70mpg motoring ! ( and yes, it will run on V.O. )