CX2200 TRI

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

CX2200 TRI

Post by tomsheppard »

I've got a line on a cheapish '87 manual Estate. Before WBM puts the block on it, Is this a decent engine and what horror stories are avoidable when viewing one of these. Spares as common as 6 figure lottery wins ?
Dipsomaniac?
Uninsurable (or is classic insurance available?)
Will I be driven even further over the edge of reason if I try to fit a/c on it and is it true that it is worse than a xantia to get the matrix reloaded?
Do later cars have non TRX rims? The car sits on ordinary looking steel ones.
Thanks guys and DON'T Tell Jane.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

JANE
JAAAAAAANNNNE
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Troublemaker!
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

With buying a CX over there, I think you only & main reason for concern should be rust.
If it's the Citroen 4 under the bonnet that's the least of your problems ... The motor will be good long after the car has rusted away.
Is a TRI the Renault engined car ?? These are also good motors, my brother had one in his Fuego, he thrashed that car within an inch of it's life (were talking redlining it down the street when it's just been backed out of the yard with the motor stone cold). The motor was still exceptionally good when he ran it without oil after years of heavy abuse. The motors are also quite light compared to the Citroen unit.
Any chance of finding a CX2500 GTi Turbo and having some *real* fun [}:)]
CX's are a VERY tough car, keep the rust at bay, and spend most of your spare time fixing it's dodgy wiring and you should be fine [:D]
seeya,
Shane L.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

We didn't get this model out here. The engine is a "Douvrin" (sp?) OHC rather than the old OHV pushrod engine in the cars we had.
To my knowledge, this is also the engine they had in the Renault Feugo and I think may have a cambelt as opposed to a timing chain.
From the point of view of living in the tropics as a contrast to you guys living in more temperate climates, of teh ones we have here, I think they have more plastic ( a plus in your environment as it doesn't rust...a minus in ours as it turns to dust) and whilst the engines I have heard were pretty good, they weren't as 'bomb proof' as the earlier ones.
If my memory serves me correctly, I think Shane (Double Chevron) has this series car in a turbo model, so doubtless, he'll give you a fair run down on it.
Alan S
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Alan,
there much the same as the early cars to upkeep. The biggest difference is the outside has much better rust protection, and the inside is now made of BX plastic so will rapidly turn to dust in the Aussie sun :(
Mechanicals are basically the same.
seeya,
Shane L.