Another "speared" Xantia strut top...Check YOURS!

All the sticky threads from the Citroen and Activa forums have been relocated here at least on a temporary basis.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

demag wrote:Is this mileage related, age related, or both?

In other words is a low mileage old car likely to suffer as well?

I see most XM's and Xantia's for sale these days seem to have mileage well into the hundred thou's.
Just picked up a 1996 TD estate with 215k MILES and the strut tops are near perfect - I've just had the car on high and had a good poke about - there doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason for the failure of younger/lower mileage cars.

The only variable I can see is the level to which different cars are allowed to be run with the degradation of the sphere pressure!

Andrew
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The first type strut top part no is discontinued as pr PR-net listings.
I have no idea though if this means a beefier construction on later units. Take a note on the sheet thickness when you get to replace the strut top.

The BX strut top is made as sort of a tapered interference. The strut is therefore not likely to spear the hood. The rubber can part the mounting bracket cone.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

just replaced mine on the offside, it came with a gaitor the dealer reckons that the replacments are slightly different, it does look a little thicker but it's hard to tell as the one that came off is in such bad condition, it even had a hole in the metal plate at one point :shock:
one thing i did wrong tho the rubber bumpstop must have fallen off and i didn't realise untill the car was back on it's wheels, presumably this will be ok for a few days untill i get time to do the other side :)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

davethewheel wrote:just replaced mine on the offside, it came with a gaitor the dealer reckons that the replacments are slightly different, it does look a little thicker but it's hard to tell as the one that came off is in such bad condition, it even had a hole in the metal plate at one point :shock:
The new strut tops that got fitted to mine (I didnt do the job unfortunately so I didnt get a close look) look quite a bit more beefy than the original - the rubber block in particular looks stronger, and it also came with new gators which have a different lip attachment, so I think the replacement parts strut tops are redesigned somewhat...

(Maybe they didnt "discover" the problem until after the Xantia finished in 2001, but have since modified the new replacement strut tops...)

The new gators are MUCH better than the original types too - they're longer, with more ripples, and a much softer more flexible material. The original type are stretching too hard at full suspension height which probably contributes to them falling down with age. The new type are not under strain even at full extension, and are attached more securely.
one thing i did wrong tho the rubber bumpstop must have fallen off and i didn't realise untill the car was back on it's wheels, presumably this will be ok for a few days untill i get time to do the other side :)
:shock:

Drive carefully....the bump stops are there to prevent you bottoming the hydraulic ram.... which if you did at high speed it may cause some damage...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

here are some pic's of my failing strut top

i think i just caught it in the nick off time, car is a xantia 1996 td :D
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Scary stuff isn't it!! :shock:

Think I'll start stockpiling Xantia bonnets...

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on 10 Aug 2006, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

andmcit wrote:Scary stuff isn't it!! :shock:

Thinlk I'll start stockpiling Xantia bonnets...

Andrew
it's a good job you started this thread or i would never have checked mine

at least i can relax a little, i've been avoiding speed humps and swerving around pot holes for the last few days :lol: :)
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

The pictures have gone down is size and are less leary!! :lol:

Scary enough without the extreme closeup viewpoint!

I'd think about getting the bump stop donut fitted asap mind - it's not there for the hell of it as Simon's pointed out. :shock:

Andrew
D.Slatford
My Cars:

Post by D.Slatford »

Yeah, gone are the days when I used to 'speed' over speed-bumps to feel / show off how good the suspension is :D

Terrifying to think what *might* have happened... I have mine booked in now next week for one top change. Although reading the posts here, it doesn't really seem that difficult at all in principle. I might tackle the other side myself later on afterall.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

So the strut top is merely the metal plate which is covered by rubber from underneath and above?

However, it is either the plate that fails due to rust or the rubber from perishing and thus failing?

How much are these replacements parts?

And exactly how big a job is replacing them?
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

mezuk04 wrote:So the strut top is merely the metal plate which is covered by rubber from underneath and above?

However, it is either the plate that fails due to rust or the rubber from perishing and thus failing?
Yep that's right - I'd say the Xantia will rust first as the metal's thinned down by corrosion under the rubberised membrane [the black bit around the neck underneath the enamel black head which the sphere attaches to]. There's the extreme likelihood that in other parts of the world the rubber that sits as a donut around the inner shoulder will literally weather and tear away.
mezuk04 wrote:How much are these replacements parts?
With VAT etc around £110 gbp EACH SIDE

mezuk04 wrote:And exactly how big a job is replacing them?
It's NOT a big job to do - you just need to know that supporting the car resonably high up is required to allow the system to be depressurised and the hubs dropped downwards enough to clear the inner piston rod - this is attached at the bottom on the main strut and to the tapered 'head' with one large nut - this is the part that needs to be removed [by the 4 bolts] down into the wheelarch.

I'm in the process of splitting a VSX that's 'had it' and will take some piccies this weekend [if I can] when I take these struts off the car.

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on 30 Jun 2006, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

andmcit wrote:With VAT etc around £110 gbp EACH SIDE

By heck! Thats not good news for my BIL if they require replacing.

Are there any maintenance methods that can be done to try and prevent the problem a little further?
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

It must be worth those of us in 'rusty' parts of the World soaking the strut tops with Waxoil or similar. Hopefully, it would keep that failure mode at bay.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

dnsey wrote:It must be worth those of us in 'rusty' parts of the World soaking the strut tops with Waxoil or similar. Hopefully, it would keep that failure mode at bay.
I think the moisture creeps between the covering rubber and the metal collar [probably by capilliary action!?] with the sealing being blown apart AFTER the damage has already been done to the metal's surface underneath!

A more effective protection would be a damned good thorough coating of decent paint over all the weathered surfaces underneath - the real weathering penetration can only be from the wheelarch's spray and not from the engine bay.

If it's seen rusting from the more sheltered up side inside the bonnet, there's probably more going on underneath...

Andrew
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

mmm best check ours then.
I've seen this before, apparently the guy was doing 60 on the motorway when it let go, nearly gave him a heart attack. He said that apart from him ducking the xant stayed stright & true right up until he came to a rather hasty stop on the hard shoulder.