Another "speared" Xantia strut top...Check YOURS!

All the sticky threads from the Citroen and Activa forums have been relocated here at least on a temporary basis.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I can't help but think that the sphere in the photo looks like a front hydractive sphere (longer than normal - 450/500cc). That said it's hard to tell without reference to a know normal sized one (400cc).

Steve.
not applicable
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

This is an interesting thread with useful information, while taking another look at it, I see that the cars that have been affected do not include an Activa.

So, as the Activa has different reinforced wheel rims specified by Citroen for this model, does that include other different parts for the struts, and the strut mounting, I.E. are they also reinforced ?
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

ACTIVE8 wrote:This is an interesting thread with useful information, while taking another look at it, I see that the cars that have been affected do not include an Activa.

So, as the Activa has different reinforced wheel rims specified by Citroen for this model, does that include other different parts for the struts, and the strut mounting, I.E. are they also reinforced ?
It's funny you should mention this...

The strut tops on my activa are in near perfect condition (and haven't as far as I'm aware been changed), however the ones on my diesel (which is only around a year older) were in a mess when I got it. Perhaps the Activas were graced with better quality tops??
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I believe the strut tops on the Activa are the same as any other hydractive Xantia. I may be wrong but that I seem to recall is what pr.net said. Trouble is, we cannot confirm now :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

.....Lack Of Knowledge At Main Dealer....(What's New !!!)...

Post by ACTIVE8 »

I phoned around several main stealers on this, and they said they had not heard about this, I spoke to a master tech/workshop controller at one place, and other technicians at the other places.

The master technician/workshop controller has not even seen any service information about this from Citroen.

O.K. the Xantia is now an earlier model, but I have seen them in the service departments of various main stealers, (when I have to visit for a part that is not available anywhere else) because the owners do not seem to be aware of the independents that they can go to. So, you would think that the main stealers would hear something about this through the grapevine.

Also I have been to another main stealer, where it appears that most of the people working there, are running about in either traded in, or seperately sourced Xantia's.

The lack of knowledge about this problem is amazing !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Somewhere I have seen a copy of a service note given to our friends down under warning of the strut top problem. In their case, it was not rust that caused a problem but deterioration and disintegration of the rubber.

I've also seen a photo (may have been on Aussiefrogs) where someone attached a couple of steel hoops over the strut tops so if they did go pop it would not cause bonnet damage or presumably cause a catastrophic loss of control if it happened at speed.

The attitude of Citroen is quite amazing on this. It is surely safety related but would mean a huge recall and huge expense for an obsolete car now six years out of production, not forgetting the expense and R and D involved in redesigning a better strut top in the first place.

Seems a similar situation to what Renault are up against with the Clio bonnet catch.

Maybe we should go en-masse to Watchdog...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I believe they've been trained by Citroen in the art of the gallic shrug with
it's ignorant indifference! Bet the turnaround in personnel would create a
situation where some have never worked on a Xantia - interesting to think
what the design of the C5 strut head is...

Spoke with an ex-reading cit agent workshop fella lastnight on the way
back with a Xantia purchase and he's heard of the strut failure mode
although he din't say if it was AFTER working there or during his tenure
with them. Got him serious about saving an Activa anyhow!!

Andrew
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

a couple of steel hoops over the strut tops
:mrgreen: http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13798
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

UFO wrote:My article on this in relation to XMs was published in the Citroenian a few years ago, and in that I wrote that other cars with McStruts do have this failure from time to time. However in these other cars (in Aus, Holdens, Mitsubishis and the like) there is a bloody great spring on the under side of the wheel arch holding it all together.

Where is the spring in a Cit? On top!

So in a non Cit if the strut mount rubber, or in the UK case, metal fails, then the spring takes the load while the top of the strut just bangs around and makes a bad noise.

As far as I know, and has been reported to me by dealers and repairers, the failure of Cit struts as pictured usually happens at low speeds and most often with the rubber failure when the car is being reversed out of a driveway as the rubber is at maximum stress as it is going in its reverse direction and is twisted with the steering. I have heard of others that have just failed at the starting of the car as the suspension starts to take up load.
I have just updated my gallery with pics from when I did the XM a few years ago

See http://www.craigdeb.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=16

Some other stuff there too re head gaskets, heater core and rear arm bearing.
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

"A little dab of LHM goes a long way!"
rowanmoor
My Cars:

Post by rowanmoor »

Am I the first to report a case like this? Do I get a prize?

I took my XM to my Indy this morning, and I noticed a rather forlorn looking Xantia parked there. Apparently the owners son was having a driving lesson. 'When I tap my hand on the dashboard I want you to cause BOTH strut tops to come through the bonnet and say hello'.

Yes, simultaneous double strut top failure - caused by an emergency stop in a driving lesson :shock:

Luckily it sounds like it was just a lesson and not a test - I wonder what they would put down as the reason for failing?

I am pleased to say that nobody involved has even considered replacing the car - it is getting a new bonnet and pair of strut tops.

Check those strut tops - prevention is better than your son failing his driving test :P

On a more serious note, had it been a real emergency stop scenario then I would expect that would have caused an accident.
Cheers,
Rowan.
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

rowanmoor wrote:Am I the first to report a case like this? Do I get a prize?

I took my XM to my Indy this morning, and I noticed a rather forlorn looking Xantia parked there. Apparently the owners son was having a driving lesson. 'When I tap my hand on the dashboard I want you to cause BOTH strut tops to come through the bonnet and say hello'.

Yes, simultaneous double strut top failure - caused by an emergency stop in a driving lesson :shock:

Luckily it sounds like it was just a lesson and not a test - I wonder what they would put down as the reason for failing?

I am pleased to say that nobody involved has even considered replacing the car - it is getting a new bonnet and pair of strut tops.

Check those strut tops - prevention is better than your son failing his driving test :P

On a more serious note, had it been a real emergency stop scenario then I would expect that would have caused an accident.
I would expect in a learner driver it did cause an accident - and not one that they would like to admit to! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think that takes the prize though - a double strutter! Must have pics - get back to the mechanic.
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

"A little dab of LHM goes a long way!"
rowanmoor
My Cars:

Post by rowanmoor »

I'll try and remember to get my phone out this evening when I pick the XM up...
Cheers,
Rowan.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Spotted this one on the Irish Auto Trader website today:
http://tinyurl.com/3787pg
Motd Aug, Taxd June, needs front shock.
Yeah, and the bonnet beaten back into shape... :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImage
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Double struter!

Remember this from before:

I'll be changing a top over on one of mine this evening as it happens. It's starting to look very dodgy and the car is going to start getting more use again with a shiny new MOT hopefully!

I guess it'd be worth taking some piccies as a guide to post on here...

Andrew
rowanmoor
My Cars:

Post by rowanmoor »

Here it is. Sorry for the low quality - I only remembered as I was driving out:
Cheers,
Rowan.