Xac's adventures with Cassy (and friends + wife)

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Re: Xac's adventures with Cassy (and friends)

Post by myglaren » 09 Mar 2012, 23:34

Cleaning up lads :twisted:

Citroening

Post by Citroening » 09 Mar 2012, 23:37

I saw the mention of Vim and thought of that Steve! :lol:

Was using a bit of nano this evening actually - configuring some sendmail...

red_dwarfers
donor 2017

Post by red_dwarfers » 09 Mar 2012, 23:56

You know its possible to use cifs by writing one line in vim? Not sure if its possible with ajax :lol:

Xac, I don't think it is ESX, they're running it from within 2008.

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers » 10 Mar 2012, 11:23

Vmware server perhaps?

red_dwarfers
donor 2017

Post by red_dwarfers » 10 Mar 2012, 13:08

Xac wrote:Vmware server perhaps?
Thats the one!

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers » 10 Mar 2012, 14:00

red_dwarfers wrote:
Xac wrote:Vmware server perhaps?
Thats the one!
It's what I use to run the forum server :)

KP

Post by KP » 10 Mar 2012, 14:59

HyperV can be quite good at times and pretty scalable.

VMware is very expensive but that price pays for them to get government security approval and allow many secure levels to be run on the same physical box but each a different vm with its own LAN port.

Still, paying more than a brand new server for a vm software set meet sits well in my book on top of the silly prices ms charge....

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers » 11 Mar 2012, 19:20

Had a great day with Jim and Chris, managed to replace Cassy's scuttle panel with a non-cracked one, and with Chris' help did a very tidy job of sticking it down.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 12 Mar 2012, 19:28

A most excellent day indeed :-D Really enjoyed...

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers » 17 Mar 2012, 19:38

Got new tyres fitted to Cassy today, had them move the P6s that were on the back to the front and new Falkens on the rear.
Will see how long the P6s last, I think they did well on Juliet so fingers crossed.
It took them 2 hours to get to Cassy and fit them though, the place was packed.
I then dashed off to Jim's to pick up a laptop box so I can post an old (but actually rather well spec'd) laptop to Allan for his Lexia.
Unfortunately due to the tyres taking so long I missed the Post Office so will be taking it into London with me on Monday.
Chris was at Jim's again (have you moved in?) and has taken over my tea mug (the cad!).
It was good to see you both though.
Following you out of Newport Pagnell Chris, I noticed your estate is riding high at the back, just a couple of inches.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 18 Mar 2012, 22:30

Good to see you yesterday Xac :-D Sorry I wasn't my usual self. I was tired and not feeling well at all. Chris's wheel bearings didn't help much..

Still better today. Been to Somerset and back in the V6 and that was a very pleasant run indeed... News not so good with Mum and Dad though. In fact they are both giving me cause for concern :(

Was the laptop box OK?

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers » 26 Mar 2012, 09:44

The pain! The pain!

Oh god why did we do it? I can barely move my fingers enough to type!

I went up to Nottingham yesterday to help Rothgar strip a car.
First job was to gently pry the bumper off its captive nuts so it could be removed, then the wings which of course had mastic all up the door end but thankfully Roger had the tools that make quick work of it and the wings were off.
While Roger got on with disconnecting things from the engine, I set to work removing the door I wanted.
I started removing the door card only breaking a couple of the long black studs (anyone know if replacements are available?) and started disconnecting wires before thinking "Sod it" and just chopping them at the door hinge.
Thankfully the hinge pins were a doddle to free up and I soon had the door in my hands.
Unfortunately I'd forgotten about the check strap, and the door was getting heavier and heavier.
Roger dashed to help and set about removing the strap's bolts which are far too long, and Sylv gave up her chair to rest the door on.
Remembering to remove the straps, I quickly removed the other doors. If you're stripping a car, just cut those wires, they stay with the car anyway.
The interior was removed easily, although Roger did steam clean the driver's seat...
We released the subframe and dropped it down onto two trolly jacks, Roger angle grinded the exhaust off, and I snipped any wires/pipes that were still connected to the car. I did get my first go of an angle grinder with one particularly thick pipe somewhere at the back of the engine :D
With the subframe/engine down, we then needed to lift the front of the car up enough to roll it out. Looking back, chocking the rear wheels probably would have beend a good idea, but hey, we only live once right?
We rested the front cross memeber on one of those industrial sized axle stands, where the cross member slowly bent until it settled down a bit.
The rear subframe was much easier, just 4 nuts through the boot floor and two underneath.
With the sun setting, all that was left on the car was the screenwash bottle, the dash, and the tail gate.
We slid the shell onto a trailer, tidied up our tools and moved the trailer out of the way.
It was a fantastic day, I can't believe how much we managed to get done, and it was great fun!
We finally left about 9:30pm with a star filled sky and the temperature dropping.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 26 Mar 2012, 18:32

You all did excellently and I'm really sorry I missed all the fun :( Until the call from home I really was all ready to come and play...

To have got that far in a day is a real achievement :-D

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers » 26 Mar 2012, 21:43

You would have really enjoyed it Jim :)

KP

Post by KP » 26 Mar 2012, 21:56

Good work Xac :)

Do you have a cordless drill at all with a spare battery as i find with some long bolts after initially breaking them that using mine whizz's them off super quick and saves loads of arm/wrist/hand ache from the RSI inducing nut removals :D

I've seen scrappies with small but think grind discs just whizz the top of the nuts off as well, one way to do it i guess if your not bothered about surround material.