My Xantia HDi

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

red_dwarfers
donor 2017

Post by red_dwarfers » 15 Mar 2009, 19:42

Toby, you're not the only one that has temporarily lost motivation. I haven't had the urge to go out and tinker with the Xantia the last month or so, or do much else really. Early yesterday and all today I have been feeling a bit better though. I put it down to the lack of proper sunlight :wink:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 15 Mar 2009, 23:09

red_dwarfers wrote: I put it down to the lack of proper sunlight :wink:

That'll be Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), a well-understood and very real condition that does indeed stem from a lack of sunshine and short daylight hours. I suffer from it to a greater or lesser extent and in the winter months I must spend as much time in daylight as I can - even if it is cold and wet! Working on cars out of doors is actually a perfect way to combat SAD.

SAD is most prevelant amongst us poor souls stuck inside workshops and offices all day with either no windows or windows that admit inadequate amounts of light. Often, SAD comes on and you have to force yourself out of doors and get stuck in. It only takes an hour or so of being out in daylight and the symptoms all but disappear.

Today has been a glorious day here and just what the doctor ordered.

Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi » 15 Mar 2009, 23:19

I do not believe I have SAD, as Jim says, it is well known though.

I just have various things going on that are not entirely positive....everything is an effort at the moment

I do hope to try to get out there tomorrow and get the brakes done. I am considering leaving the hoses til after payday when I can buy a set of flare nut spanners.

Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi » 16 Mar 2009, 12:01

I give up. Every bloody thing I do to that car, however simple, turns into a challenge. I do not have the patience with it.

Finished off the side I started and moved round to the other front, got caliper off. As soon as I touched one of the disc retaining screws it rounded out. :evil:

I do not know how to get that out and probably don't have the tools to do it anyway.

Furthermore I always have the nagging feeling in the back of my mind if once it's all back together it'll actually work. Everything just seems to take a turn for worse.

Cambelt job was the same, there was a problem around every corner.

It might be better if I actually have a workshop and proper facilities, instead I have to do it outside in the road, crawling around to get at stuff.

To make matters worse, on taking the pads out I found they were barely worn but I popped the new ones in anyway, will keep the old ones in case of emergency or something. Also the brake hoses look fine to me. I cut the caliper end and used a ring spanner on the union but I really don't think I can get the rigid pipe end off without a flare nut spanner. I ought to do the handbrake cables too as one looks a bit worse for wear but I have lost patience and do not have the motivation for it anymore.

Sorry for all the doom and gloom fellas :oops:

jgra1

Post by jgra1 » 16 Mar 2009, 12:31

:(

shame Toby

try an impact driver on the screw if you have one..or if all else fails
drill the mashed head a bit and hammer the disc off, it should come off and leave the little screw in there.. the disc is heavy and the screw shouldnt hold up to much..

then you can get get pliers, molegrip on it and undo it..

its a great day out there :)

agree re: premises.. i work outdoors still, but most importantly, its private and I can get on without being disturbed... I have a little shed where I can go hide and do bits and bobs too.. also a radio in the background can help a bit..

old cars are a never ending source of work, it rarely goes as well as it was supposed to.. it does get easier though.. you expect problems and they dont materialise..

Another cheap form of transport takes some pressure off too..

John

Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi » 22 Mar 2009, 13:21

I am quite frankly amazed at how when a job goes fairly well, how theraputic some work on the Xantia can be. I now can fully understand where Jim is coming from when he says as such.

Had a little motivation today to try to sort out the brakes, has been stood all week and not been touched. I have now managed to replace both front discs and pads. I managed to get the pesky disc securing screw out that had rounded. I simply popped the next size up on the screwdriver and hammered it in till it had some bite and turned it. Out it came :D

I now realise I cannot do anything more until I have a flare nut spanner though, I know that the unions will round off if I try to undo with a normal spanner so will wait patiently until pay day. Once the hoses are done I can get it back on the floor and procede set the auto wear adjustment etc etc before I can get the back up on stands and do those.

I really have spent quite a bit of money on this car and this week I've had people telling me I've spent too much. But I don't care. It's such a comfortable car (though I do keep finding myself wishing it had Hydroactive for an even better ride) and I've not come across a more economical car. Yes, smaller, lighter cars are slightly better but not by much and they certainly don't have the grunt that the HDi does. Therefore it will keep having money spent on it and I will get it completely up together and looking proud once more :) At some point it WILL have a mate too, hopefully a V6 :) I always regret selling my Vectra because of its engine however, I think a Xantia with a slightly bigger V6 (the Vectra was a 2.5) will beat it hands down. I want those extra 2 cylinders again :oops:

Overall I am feeling slightly better about things now and have only stopped work due to not having the right tool, not a loss of patience. Hopefully this is a sign that things are on the up!

Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi » 29 Mar 2009, 19:07

Well, just a slight quickie as I've not done much. Am waiting on delivery of a set of flare nut spanners which I bought for just over £20. Once they come I can get on with the job.

Today, I removed the handbrake cables. Since I'm in the area and car isn't really needed too much I'll replace them too. Really was an absolute doddle as people say. Does look a mare but easy. Slightly different to how the BoL describes it though in that my car doesn't have the clip for the heatshield, instead two bolts and it's off and you have proper access to the equaliser.

Another incidence of that was the front calipers. The BoL suggests a small clip and a retaining pin but mine was a bolt with two lugs on it and no pin. Maybe a change to the calipers halfway through the Xantia lifetime.

I've also being hunting about for a V6 of some guise. Be it Xantia or XM I really want a V6. I do have to say though I may end up going Non-Citroen for this :o

Fear not though as it will still be French.....I'm looking at 406 Coupes, such a stunning car and am quite tempted by one of them. :roll:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 29 Mar 2009, 19:15

Toby_HDi wrote:Fear not though as it will still be French.....I'm looking at 406 Coupes, such a stunning car and am quite tempted by one of them. :roll:

Good choice Toby, the 406 V6 Coupe is one of my all-time most favourite cars. Shame it has no hydropneumatic suspension but you can't have everything.

They're drop-dead gorgeous, one of Pininfarina's finest moments :D

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 29 Mar 2009, 20:38

CitroJim wrote:
Toby_HDi wrote:Fear not though as it will still be French.....I'm looking at 406 Coupes, such a stunning car and am quite tempted by one of them. :roll:

Good choice Toby, the 406 V6 Coupe is one of my all-time most favourite cars. Shame it has no hydropneumatic suspension but you can't have everything.

You'd search long and far before finding anyone to disagree with that statement Jim.

Kid over the road from me buys and sells cars as his second job and has been running around in a blue one the past few weeks.

Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi » 29 Mar 2009, 22:20

Indeed, they are.

Maybe someone somewhere (Jim? :twisted:) ought to retrofit Hydroactive onto a 406 Coupe

I am now confused. On bringing my handbrake cables into the house and measuring them, they are the same length? I thought I was supposed to have a longer one due to having the HDi 110

ACTIVE8

Post by ACTIVE8 » 30 Mar 2009, 09:03

myglaren wrote:
CitroJim wrote:

You'd search long and far before finding anyone to disagree with that statement Jim.

Kid over the road from me buys and sells cars as his second job and has been running around in a blue one the past few weeks.

They are certainly a design classic. 8)

I had the opportunity to drive one, and loved it, the fact that it was the V6 version, made it even more of an enjoyable experience. :wink: 8)

Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi » 31 Mar 2009, 19:42

Flare nut spanners arrived today to greet me on return from work.

Thought I'd pop out there as I had some light and change the hoses. One done fine but the other one not so good. Seems someone has been there before and rounded the rigid pipe end union off. So now I'm totally stuck. I don't want to go near it with mole grips in case I break the pipe. I don't think I have a set small enough anyway.

The one hose I took off looks fine anyway so don't know how the MOT tester could say it was excessively deteriorated

Have had enough now, I need it back on the road for a trip to Swindon at the end of the month and thats looking less likely every day.

My local Citroen dealer will only do disc securing screws in 100s and the price of handbrake cables is more than stated on Service Citroen.

Therefore I am going to try to source some cables from QH (thanks Jim) and maybe if someone has a spare disc securing screw, they may be so kind as to send it me (cost of postage of course)

If anyone wants to earn some beer money or the like, they are more than welcome to come and finish the job off - I do apologise if that sounds rude or anything but I have had enough. All the tea you want and you get paid for it too. Left to do is the one hose, handbrake cables and the rear disc and pads.

MikeT

Post by MikeT » 31 Mar 2009, 21:12

Bagsy first bash at it? :lol: Let me know when and I'll pop over with some tools. Not sure what screws are needed but reckon we can source them elsewhere. I'll bring that battery over at the same time.

Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi » 31 Mar 2009, 21:18

Mike, your're very welcome. It would be greatly appreciated and as I say, I'll see you right for it

I shall try to source handbrake cables. Not sure where I'm going to get a disc securing screw from - however that may not be urgent as IIRC they only hold it in place, the wheelbolts torque it down properly?

The more pressing matter is a union. I have no idea where to get one or what size. I have no clue. It will obviously need a new one though. Any ideas?

Once again, thank you for your offer Mike.

admiral51

Post by admiral51 » 31 Mar 2009, 21:46

Hi Toby
Im a little bit tied up with the work and Xantias at present but i may be able to point you in the direction of some bits and bobs :) :)

Trents have a 1.8i estate in the yard i know it has all 4 calipers and discs on it so im sure you can get the disc screw without anyproblems you cant get the rear pad retaining bolts cos they have already been removed :wink: :wink:
Not sure which union it is you want but if you can get the old one off or one off a scrapper then Hyphose on Nuffield Ind Est will be able to source one for you or there is Thread and Pipe on Elliott Road at Wallisdown.They are behind Lidl/Aldi on the main estate

Whilst im at if you are looking for any nuts/bolts etc try Barlow Fastners on Nuffield Ind Estate just past Toys r Us very helpful and cheap :D :D

Hope that helps in some way :) :)

Colin