Xantiaman's Blog

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 14 Oct 2010, 17:47

Deanxm wrote:well done Gareth, and yes, two or four is a must, three is bad news for number 3 :lol:

D
Speaking too as one of a trio and dad of four.. I must say that being the youngest of the three by a long way was being like an only child when I was a kid and that's not good.

Our brood is in two generations almost (28, 26, 17 and 15) and when our third came along we were determined to have a fourth so she would have a sibling near her own age. It's worked out well.

If a trio are all close in age then so so bad at all... Saves having to have a people carrier at least!

XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan » 14 Oct 2010, 20:23

Thank you everyone.

I guess everyone is different, i only have one sister, Vicky has 2 sisters but we have both agreed that we are happy with two kids and the fact we got one of each was a blessing.

Jack is bonding to Ellie very well. I am very proud of the way he has behaved with the new arrival and i am determined to give them both equal attention and love. Unfortunately, when i grew up, being nearly 4 years older than my sister was a gap too big, and we have never got on. Its a shame, but it is partly due to her being favoured as the youngest and more vulnerable, whereas i was considered stronger and more independent.

Sadly i am away for work, missing them all like crazy, and worried about how Vicky will cope but she is doing well. I left early this morning and wont be back till late tomorrow night. The disadvantage of being self-employed, no paternity, sick or holiday pay.

Another picture -

XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan » 05 Nov 2010, 10:40

Time for an update, most important first.

Baby Ellie doing very well, pretty much sleeping through the night now, in fact Jack is up more than she is!

Jack has been poorly though, feverish and hot. He seems better now thanks to a dose of calpol. A lot of it going around now.

Vicky too has been ill, for almost a week now, not like her at all, even lost her voice! Came back from work early yesterday so i could look after the clan.

Onto the next bit of news. I've been resisting getting another car on the justification that i dont have the space nor the time. So i'm getting another car anyway!

I will be picking up Kev's silver Activa on Sunday.

The question will be asked, why did i get rid of the old one?

There was no real reason, the Mondeo came up at the wrong time but the right price, and its a car i really admired, a long term investment almost as being a fast ford, it will always be worth something.

The problem is, its my baby! Dont like taking it into car parks, wouldnt want to take it round a racetrack or get stonechipped, which inevitably it does every time it does when i take it out.

Vicky has her MG ZR for when she passes her test, its her runaround so its unfair to play with it a bit.

So the Activa will fill that gap, i'll be able to enjoy it more as it wont be my everyday car.

It will be tidied cosmetically as per the other one and maintained, but it will see a few more modifications.

I'm unsure if i should spend money tuning the original engine, as i know its capable, or should i just plonk a V6 in there?

The cost may not be much more to find a donor V6 and transplant. But i do like the turbocharged rush too, so we shall see.

On another note, i've just asked to have my account on a Mondeo forum removed. Unlike this forum, where everyone is welcome, it seemed i just didn't fit in with my dry sense of humour, and owning a silver Mondeo instead of a Performance Blue one, it was seen as being inferior! And if you think i am joking, i'm not!

The vast majority of people had the diesel version of the Mondeo ST, in Performance Blue, which despite having only 155bhp versus the 220 odd bhp of the V6, is actually faster! BHP will always overcome torque and whilst they have excellent mid gear acceleration, they seem to be very blinkered about it. Oh, and the fuel economy card, which was offset when their EGR valve fails every 5k, the DMF breaks up, and the injectors die too.

Most amusing was recently, a chap with a ST220 drilling his airbox. They suffer from heatsoak anyway and this 'mod' was a noise only thing, except he wouldnt be told :roll: If it sounds faster, it is faster mentality.

So i am afraid you'll have to put up with me a bit longer!

pug_owner2002

Post by pug_owner2002 » 05 Nov 2010, 15:38

It will be good to see the progress on the new one.
I have to agree with you regarding the forum. I'm registered on a Seat one due to having the Leon and can safely say that it's not as friendly as here. I would probably get more help here if i needed assistance with a fault on the leon!

Koukku

Post by Koukku » 05 Nov 2010, 15:52

If you end up dropping a V6 in there, maybe use a Clio V6 as a donor... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdGXxHoafNY

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm » 05 Nov 2010, 16:26

Bit of a sweeping genralisation on my part but people who own performance cars and frequent forums tend to score rather highly on the dickometer, i dont know what it is, of course this type of person does then tend to drive away the intelegent, sensible members, not something ive seen on a citroen forum though.
Glad your sticking around anyway Gareth.
What are the plans for the Activa then, are you going to go mad with her or just a little increase in go?

D

red_dwarfers
donor 2017

Post by red_dwarfers » 05 Nov 2010, 17:10

Whats that phrase?
Once green blooded, always green blooded :lol:
Welcome back!

XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan » 05 Nov 2010, 17:27

Koukku wrote:If you end up dropping a V6 in there, maybe use a Clio V6 as a donor... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdGXxHoafNY
Thats awesome! Saw a Clio V6 tonight actually. Id be happy with a standard one though.

XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan » 05 Nov 2010, 17:34

Deanxm wrote:Bit of a sweeping genralisation on my part but people who own performance cars and frequent forums tend to score rather highly on the dickometer, i dont know what it is, of course this type of person does then tend to drive away the intelegent, sensible members, not something ive seen on a Citroën forum though.
Glad your sticking around anyway Gareth.
What are the plans for the Activa then, are you going to go mad with her or just a little increase in go?

D
Nothing major, just keep it tidy and well maintained. Would like to do a few track days in this so pukka w rated tyres. possibly 55 profile. CT can be tweaked to aound 190 tops on the stock turbo with the right cooling, that may be the way i head at first, torque would be around the 210lb ft mark, quite respectable really.

Did the hybrid on the old one, really should of gone next step and got a volvo T5 15g with custom downpipe for real power. For the hassle i would rather change the engine!

I love the V6 noise though and smoothness, yet miss the kick of a turbocharger. V6 twin turbo? :lol:

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm » 05 Nov 2010, 17:55

i believe there is a factory made turbo manifold kit for the V6 and that would be interesting 8-) :lol: expensive though, i think if you were to chav it into a tree you would be pulling the manifold off before fleeing :lol:
When mine goes on the road next year i want some proper rubber on it too, i may go for toyo proxes again but it depends how things go, i dont fancy pushing it too much on the random selection of tyres its wearing.
I still think the 2.3T saab engine is a go'er for a cit conversion myself, it mates straight up to the old HP 18 autobox so should be easy enough to bolt onto the ML5 and mine ran 220bhp stock :twisted:

D

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Post by DickieG » 05 Nov 2010, 21:45

Know what you mean about some forums Gareth, since I've had my BMW I've noticed some of the forums are rather "abrupt" to say the least, I might be going in a similar direction to you with car's as you'll see when I update my own blog :roll:

Great to see you back =D>

XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan » 05 Nov 2010, 22:04

DickieG wrote:Know what you mean about some forums Gareth, since I've had my BMW I've noticed some of the forums are rather "abrupt" to say the least, I might be going in a similar direction to you with car's as you'll see when I update my own blog :roll:

Thanks Richard. You mean, your getting another Activa too?? :o

There are only two forums i use now, this one, and the smart repair forum. Think i said before, what makes this forum are the genuine, helpful people, proper enthusiasts and i've been on more than a few in the past, nothing equals this one.

People think i'm mad getting a Citroen again, but it has a strange attraction, much the same way as me liking Maestro's :oops:

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Post by DickieG » 05 Nov 2010, 22:21

XantiaMan wrote:
DickieG wrote:Know what you mean about some forums Gareth, since I've had my BMW I've noticed some of the forums are rather "abrupt" to say the least, I might be going in a similar direction to you with car's as you'll see when I update my own blog :roll:

Thanks Richard. You mean, your getting another Activa too?? :o
Not an Activa but maybe some else
XantiaMan wrote:People think i'm mad getting a Citroën again, but it has a strange attraction, much the same way as me liking Maestro's :oops:
I know what you mean and bearing in mind where I work with all the petrol heads there my attraction to Citroens is seen as shall I say unusual :lol:

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad » 05 Nov 2010, 22:51

Congratulations on the new Activa purcahse, it looks like a good car. Im sure you will have it in a similar condition to your last, which was excellent.

Odd that, i thought on a car forum the large petrol engine would be admired more than a diesel, which most Mondeos are anyway. A V6 with a manual in a car which is known to handle well, were can you go wrong!

I know someone with a performance blue ST220 TDCi, he loves it and is wanting to get much more power from it. Mind, i dont really think its 'Ceat' tyres will be up to the job!

Im yet to find a better forum than this one, every member seems very friendly. With other forums quite a lot of the time people can ruin them. I used to be active on quite a few forums, now this is the only one i visit - and the CCC forum, very rarely.

XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan » 07 Nov 2010, 17:46

Back safe and sound from Stafford, me and my friend Matt, left around 6.45am this morning, got there for 10.20am including a fuel and food stop.

First impression? Its great to be back. The car has had a lot of work carried out in the past couple of years since Kevin has owned it, he seemed sad to see it go..

It does need some things sorting, the most annoying is the manifold gasket which is one of those inevitable things, confident it can be done without removing the head, a case of removing all the support braces and hoses, bottom engine mount, top steady support and leaning the engine as far forward as possible, so there is enough access to get the manifold of its studs and replace the gasket. Not affecting performance yet!

Could do with a Lexia session and Citrojim health check on the suspension workings. The main spheres have all been done, there is a slightl list, and the suspension is very quick to drop once run and stopped, within a minute it drops down low if the suspension is left in 'sport' mode. Goes up fine, after 30 mins it took 7-8 seconds for the stop light to go out.

It certainly seems to work though! Found out the OSR tyre was at 15psi so that didnt help, all the others were low too, regardless the ARCS is very good. The tytes are fine, V rated but too good to junk yet in favour of W's.

At some point, a dump valve has been fitted, now has a bosch re-circ. Gonna fit my atmo one at some point.

Lovely and torquey between 2-3000rpm, will free up nicely with a new system, intercooler next year and boost to 12psi.

Cosmetically its ok, few little dings, needs a mop, refurb wheels but is presentable.

Also needs front discs and pads.