Xantiaman's Blog

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan » 04 Nov 2009, 12:30

Lovely :) Turning the gain up on the Gizzmo EBC has given near enough OE drive ability and a really nice shove, its set at around 10psi and staying there, its plenty quick enough.

I will do a more indepth blog on the 'next stage' tuning of an Activa so people can decide what steps to take for their own car.

My old Xantia TD *may* be coming back down south, but on the driveway next to me... Chap next door had an accident this morning, got shunted from behind and totally written his Renault Megane Scenic off :x I've offered him my old car to keep him in the move, so will see what he says.

Gareth

Sl4yer

Post by Sl4yer » 04 Nov 2009, 18:23

XantiaMan583 wrote:I suppose once my tax return is done i may have some £ left over although the missus will want that spending on a wedding :roll:

That's a feeling I know only too well (and I don't mean the tax return bit!). Ours is strictly on the cheap though, but it will be special. I mean, how many people have an Activa for their wedding car?! :)

James

XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan » 04 Nov 2009, 23:51

The Maestro will be my wedding car :wink:

Good news on '583... Next door will be having it, so sort of being reunited! I'll be throwing some veg in it for him so i can smell it in the morning :lol:

Thats it for Xantia action this week until the weekend. Going out for a friends birthday bash on Saturday, first time in at least a year me and Vicky have had a proper night out. Having a little un and no babysitter local is not easy.

Anyone like the pictures?

Sl4yer

Post by Sl4yer » 05 Nov 2009, 18:13

XantiaMan583 wrote:Anyone like the pictures?

Yes, good to see Mildenhall is still going strong when all the other USAF bases have been turned into car storage or haulage firms. Went to the show at Mildenhall a long, long time ago!

James

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 05 Nov 2009, 22:44

Yes, I enjoyed the pictures Gareth :D Planes don't really spark me up but the railway memorial did!

Do keep posting pictures of your disused railway adventures, always thoroughly enjoy those :D

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad » 05 Nov 2009, 23:02

I noticed the 306TD has gone from your list Gareth, whats happened with that?

XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan » 05 Nov 2009, 23:40

We had a financial situation meaning i had to drop it. Its long gone at auction now. Another will turn up.

Take a look at my photostream on Flickr. I wont be putting too many on here, it is a car forum after all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/garethkidman/

MOT is now booked for Monday. Trying to get tyres sorted, but if not, it should just about pass as they are. Should go straight through, fingers crossed...

XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan » 07 Nov 2009, 19:29

One minor problem that needs resolving before the MOT is a small LHM on the return side. Lost half a litre in 2 weeks. Its on a join which splits into two, just before it. The join looks ok, but the pipe has gone brittle hence it breaking. I spliced it with some plastic tube but the LHM has softened the tape i used to make the pipe a snug fit. I'll fix that one tomorrow somehow, ran out of light this afternoon.

Another new piccie.

Last edited by XantiaMan on 08 Nov 2009, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 07 Nov 2009, 19:51

What a gorgeous picture Gareth! Looks like a Citroen Brochure picture :D

You certainly drive a camera rather well :wink:

Yes, LHM is wicked stuff on anything but the right materials. Anything rated for unleaded petrol is fine with LHM.

XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan » 07 Nov 2009, 19:54

I might have to get the Sikaflex out, and bond the plastic piece in, as well as some jubilee clips. The main issue is the brittleness of the existing hose, it wont really compress enough to seal.

Thanks for the comments. I'm hoping to get a new Fuji for Crimbo, as this one has a slight nick on the lens, but its great to use and turns out some nice results.

XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan » 08 Nov 2009, 13:34

The pipe seems to be fixed, and leak proof.

Had to remove the LHM tank. Where the pipe had broken off, it also had another split near it, so had to trim it down a little.

I degreased everything, and added a little bit of plastic adhesive (its a 2 component, semi rigid and sets in about 90 seconds) to the plastic pipe that would fit inside the remains of the original.

I then tightened up a jubilee clip to nip it a little, but not too much in case the brittle remains decided to crack again.

The adhesive was then liberally applied everywhere up the pipe and over the clip. Then reassemble once cured. Touch wood, it seems bone dry now, and has a degree of flexibility so it shouldn't crack.

I need to top the LHM up, but GSF is closed on a Sunday, so i will find a Total station that should stock it. The STOP light isnt illuminated when in 'High' so should be ok as long as its not leaking anymore!

The MOT is in the morning :? I always worry but i know everything works on it.

Here's a new one. I checked the oil level in the Transit (all Ok, doesnt use a drop) but spotted something near the vacuum pump, not far from the power steering pulley. I picked it up, expecting it to be a bit of tree, being autumn and all.

It wasnt.

It was cat poo :evil: And i know the culprit, its my bloody cat that sits on the engine overnight because its nice and warm, and thats how he repays me. :roll: Little turd, anyone want a black and white four year old cat with an annoying meow??

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 08 Nov 2009, 14:03

XantiaMan583 wrote:
I need to top the LHM up, but GSF is closed on a Sunday, so i will find a Total station that should stock it. The STOP light isnt illuminated when in 'High' so should be ok as long as its not leaking anymore!

Halfords used to stock it, as do a lot of small motor factors.

XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan » 08 Nov 2009, 14:16

myglaren wrote:
XantiaMan583 wrote:

Halfords used to stock it, as do a lot of small motor factors.

£10 for a litre though :shock: Or £4.50 from GSF, about £7 from Total. I will pass a few today and grad a bottle just in case.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 08 Nov 2009, 14:32

A Tenner :shock:
It was less than half that last time I bought any.

XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan » 08 Nov 2009, 14:55

myglaren wrote:A Tenner :shock:
It was less than half that last time I bought any.

A real rip off, double the normal retail cost. Thats Halfords :lol: