Managed to refit the turbo today, so its just the clutch to be fitted and then engine back in. It was not plain sailing!
Firstly, i cleaned up the exhaust manifold. It was lightly pitted on the face, so i used some 80 grit on a block to clean it up.
Then same treatment for the head ports, they cleaned up well, then a wire brush on the threads.
No copper grease on them, just a bit of WD40 on the nuts to ensure they went on smoothly. Then the new gasket, it only goes on one way.
Tightened up evenly and went over them 5 times to ensure none were missed out, then doubled up the nuts to lock them in place. That should stop them loosening off in service.
Next, the turbo needed to be fitted onto the manifold. There is a sealing ring that fits into a groove, its a fiddle so i used a flat bladed screw driver to hold the ring in place whilst the turbo was offered up. I checked to ensure the ring had gone into the slot properly, but it can only go in one place or the turbo wont sit flush.
Again, no grease just a bit of WD to help along the way.
I started to enter problems with the actuator. It seemed to be in the wrong place. The Rover housing was drilled for the actuator, and after much faffing around it was found the compressor housing was slightly misaligned, so needed moving back anti clockwise about 1cm, then it was spot on.
Everything has to go on in sequence, actuator first, then oil drain, water feed pipes. Oil feed goes on after the huge heatshield.
Next problem was the dump valve diaphragm was split. Being in such a difficult place to access once refitted, i opted to make up an aluminium blanking plate in its place. Came out ok!
Then, the turbo outlet pipe. The outlet on the compressor housing was a fraction too long. As the rubber piece that fits over it has a step on the inside, it can only go on so far.
After much deliberation i took an easy route, and removed a hose from the Maestro which was a perfect fit, and allowed the top outlet to be bolted in place.
Then, the turbo inlet pipe. This needed a jiggle, but its now in near enough OE position as can be seen from the pictures.
So, thats that saga completed! All the hassle would of been saved if the original housing was machined, but never mind, as it cost me very little to get done.
Tomorrow, it will be fitting the clutch and gearbox back on, and then refit into the engine bay! Looking forward to the day, although i have a rather serious issue to deal with as well, which has meant we can no longer purchase the 306
But, time will sort that one out. Be much happier once the Activa is up and running again.