Vince's XM...213k and slowing....

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

vince

Re: Vince's VSX

Post by vince » 19 Feb 2012, 22:04

On the "Pallas" front ive got a white 09 Nissan Qashai booked in (not old i know but should come up well) and a garage i know has a red VGC 1972 Renault 12 sat waiting to be sold. I might do that one for free just because its cool and "deserves" to be done 8-)

KP

Post by KP » 19 Feb 2012, 22:45

Thanks Vince :-)

I'll pm you details an try to get some swift pictures when I wash her this week as the tank has just had a wash.

Mostly thy are covered in light swirl type marks along the side panels and the odd stone chip to the bonnets as common with cars these days :-(

Then R12 sounds like something that would do really well on your portfolio.

I know of a C5 that gets washed annually if you fancy a real hard job lol though not sure I'd want to be associated with it(last wash saw moss had grown over the tops of the boot badges in some places!!)!! :-(

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 19 Feb 2012, 22:49

Hey! I heard that!

KP

Post by KP » 19 Feb 2012, 22:51

Steve don't worry, yours is show condition compared to this one ;-)

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 19 Feb 2012, 22:53

Not today it isn't. Was going to clean it but managed to find enough excuses not to :)

Dommo

Post by Dommo » 20 Feb 2012, 02:44

If you honestly think you could make most of that disappear (apart from the damage on the rear quarter of course!) you'd make me a very happy man. I really could do with getting the rear quarter repaired as it's started to rust slightly, I'm just useless at bodywork stuff.

I think I'll have to try and take it back to bare metal around that area and stick some zinc primer on it. Have you any idea if it's OK to leave zinc primer for any length of time? Or does it absolutely require a coating of paint after to be rust proof?

vince

Post by vince » 21 Feb 2012, 22:15

double post :oops:
Last edited by vince on 21 Feb 2012, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

vince

Post by vince » 21 Feb 2012, 22:17

Hi Dommo,

Below is an excerpt from a "pro"
i'm a panel beater and the only time we use zinc primer is
on bare metal when welding 2 panels togeather. what you
need is an acid etch primer. dust on a couple of light coats
then use your normal primer. and primer isnt water proof

The most important thing of the above is that primers arent waterproof :wink:

You dont need to worry about rust too much, the following keeps rust at bay / causes it.

Causes:
Dirt / salt left on which soaks water up and keeps it bonded to the surface...this like sugar left on your teeth accelerates the "rot"

keeping it at bay..
keep the area clean, both outside and crucially on the inside if you can access it as many rust patches start from the inside outwards.
T-cut the rusting area, it will remove it and then wax it :wink: One of the most protective waxes you can buy is Collinite 476. Its designed to protect yachts so handles cars easily. the protection lasts about 6 months i think.

If its bare metal then a light dusting of a normal primer and then a top coat(doesnt need to look amazing) will protect it.

Think of paintwork like teeth. Keep them clean and protected and they will look great and last ages. Car bodies are the same.

vince

Post by vince » 21 Feb 2012, 22:25

Xantia news.......

Well the VSX flew the MOT on Monday =D> It needed a numberplate bulb...i knew that but couldnt be bothered to do it as i knew the garage would throw one on for nowt :)

That said......on the way home the backbox severed in the usual place so a new one will need to be fitted tomorrow :| How many of these have i been through....i think this will be my fourth :shock: Most exhausts now from anywhere are poor quality steel as the price market has forced it that way.

oh well, at least it will look new again :-D

davetherave

Post by davetherave » 21 Feb 2012, 22:54

Excellent news! Look forward to seeing your car again sometime.
My brother is always asking when im going to make my car look like Vince's!
Shame about the exhaust though!

Dommo

Post by Dommo » 21 Feb 2012, 23:07

Request a Bosal backbox Vince. They're the best you can get beyond a stainless one.

I'd never thought to T-cut the rust off.. I'll give that a go when I get chance. I've not got that wax though so I will have to price some of that up, do you think auto glym wax would do for now?

KP

Post by KP » 21 Feb 2012, 23:10

Vince i have some High temp lacquer for the back box problem that i have found helps when fitting a new one to coat the affected area and then cover that in bitumen spray on paint to protect against stone chips and havent had a 2nd back box failure on a xantia, c5, c2.. in fair few years now :)

Good news on the MOT Vince as i recently had the same problem on my car with a number plate light after the cold snap it killed it off one morning :(

You can sort my car and i'll pop under yours for that when your here :)

vince

Post by vince » 22 Feb 2012, 00:36

Awesome deal KP. i hate doing anything mechanical....undersealing though isnt bad just messy.

Dave, i still want an XM after going out in yours. But its too big for Linda once she passes her test so thats out....shame though as id love one. Ill be knocking around this year as usual. I have access to a cheap but good bodyshop through work so might get the spoiler re sprayed as the scratches are too deep. What id like to scare up this year is someone who will want to take this car over when i sell it and get an automatic version. Yes its been crashed into before but it is hard to tell now that its had some time spent on it. Its cleaned up really well to date but it could do with a day spent on it with the buffer indoors somewhere.

As for the backbox, i need something sharpish so will order a Klarius one tomrrow morning and get it fitted tomorrow....i will need to go home in it at 17:30. Im loving using it this week. im always in a van.

vince

Post by vince » 26 Feb 2012, 09:45

Well the Xantia is back in fine health. It was actually the centre pipe that had finally given up the ghost. still £34 all in fitted i couldnt grumble at :P Another mechanic friend through work :wink:

Ive ordered 250 business cards to hand out strategically to people.....like the 2CV owner i was talking to in the shop yesterday morning :)

Here is what i came up with...cost about £12 all in for 250 which is a steal. The logo i can buy and keep for another £12. No need at the moment though as im not planning on doing this full time....just the odd car here and there for now,

Cant wait to get on with some cars.....ill post examples of cars done in my blog as i go along.

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad » 26 Feb 2012, 23:15

How soon are you looking to get an Auto Xantia Vince? Your TD will make someone a fantastic car, its stunning, ive always fancied it!

Business cards look good, a bargain too!

Ill let you know when we would like your Pallas services :)