Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 » 06 Mar 2010, 17:13

Jim, did you finally buy a decent hammer :?: My technique is to use the chisel to get a ridge on the edge of the shere, then knock that with my big hammer and a sturdy punch. Hitting the chisel that hard just shaves off chunks of metal.

I got around to resealing the sump on the Mk1 V6 today. The sump screws are not very nice, the heads are tapered, so any socket tends to slip off, and the threads are very tight coming out and going in :( Still it is done now.

While under the car I noticed an oily patch along the seam of the transmission, and a drip of what looked like transmission fluid on the accumulator sphere :shock: Before you have a coronary Jim, it turned out to be LHM weeping from my temporarily repaired regulator return hose.

BTW, if it suits you, I could pick up your sphere from Martin one lunch hour and give it to you next Sunday.
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 06 Mar 2010, 17:26

Doh :oops: Never thought of using a punch once I'd risen a ridge with a chisel. I can be so stupid sometimes :roll:

According to the doctor Mike, my risk of a coronary if I kept previous levels of cholesterol and smoking was high! Not helped by the thought of an oil leak on your gearbox :lol: :lol: :lol: Delighted it was only LHM :D :D

That would be great on the sphere :D :D :D I'll give Martin a call and order up what I need and let him know the arrangement. Magic, Thanks Mike :D

I've completely reassembled the roll corrector mechanism this afternoon, right from the hydraulic bit to the linkages and mechanism.
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 06 Mar 2010, 17:47

Mike, sorry, forgot to say :oops: Good work on the sump :D :D Excellent. Checked mine today, along with the rest of my V6. It's still bone-dry. Guess it won't be forever though and that job will come to me eventually...

myglaren wrote:Weld a nut on it and use Candy's bloody great spanner on it :)

That made me giggle Steve. Wonder where such a big spanner is used on a DS :roll:
0x
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: 2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX 219,600

Post by myglaren » 06 Mar 2010, 17:54

Couldn't say Jim but the rear hub nuts on the GS needed a socket/box spanner of about that size to shift them.
0x

Jackie Evancho

candy
My Cars:

Post by candy » 06 Mar 2010, 21:25

CitroJim wrote:That made me giggle Steve. Wonder where such a big spanner is used on a DS :roll:

nah thats not used on the DS its used for when i have PMT :lol:
0x
http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r124 ... %20xantia/

Teresa
1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TDLX silver
2004 Honda cg125 red

Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer » 06 Mar 2010, 21:32

CitroJim wrote:It emerges that virtually all the spheres on this car were either flat or ruptured. It has a full dealer service history right until now. Read into that what you will...

A quick glance at the service book doesn't reveal any schedule for checking or changing spheres! Incredible... I suppose it is isn't on the list, they won't do it.

James
0x
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto

lexi
My Cars:

Post by lexi » 07 Mar 2010, 19:42

Mike, my risk of a coronary if I kept previous levels of cholesterol and smoking was high!

What even with regular Hydraflushes? :shock:

Great news on the smoking Jim....keep it going!
0x
Citroen C5 HDI 110 Mk 1 hatchback

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP » 08 Mar 2010, 08:59

Great news on the health front.

never really liked the death sticks as me and my brother call them and you will feel yourself improve great;y as time away from them increases :)

The best method i have found for stubborn spheres is a quick tap or two with the cold chisel and then use the locking nut from my sphere removal tool on that chiselled edge to dig into the sphere more and the hit the sphere tool in the right direction. spins off easily.

I also bled the activa block when i did the rear on mine the other night and it came off by hand :) i had only put the wrong sphere on it the night before mind :D
0x
1996 Activa with Leather(S2!) AC & Sunroof PALLAS'd
XM 2.5td VSX Estate green 220k running Veg&stuff

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 08 Mar 2010, 10:07

KP wrote:never really liked the death sticks as me and my brother call them and you will feel yourself improve great;y as time away from them increases :)

It's already happening Will :D :D Got a lot more energy for one thing :P

I was a prat on the Sphere chiselling front. I was a twit to keep on chiselling away when I really should have gone for a punch as soon as the ridge was raised.

Did you get any air out of the Activa Sphere block? All I know is that with good spheres, a LOT of pressure and LHM is behind that bleed nipple :lol:

A great day yesterday. the girls and I took a trip to Somerset to see the folks. We took Robyn's 206 so that she could have some long driving practice.

Did she ever do well :D I'm the worst passenger int he world but not with Robyn :D She was proud to drive right up to her Granddad's front door to say "Hey, Granddad, look at me!!!!"...

Robyn was introduced to a new road feature we just do not have around here: Steep hills :lol: She had the joy of learning to negotiate, both up and down, a steep one with tight bends called Wraxall Hill between Shepton Mallet and Yeovil on the A37. We'll take her up Porlock Hill next :lol:

Her 206 is a blindingly good little car. Both she and I love it to bits. It is such an accomplished little thing that does virtually everything very well indeed. After driving dad's Nissan Pixo after the 206, it is no contest. The 206 may be 11 years old but it is vastly superior in every way.

And that full width sunroof :P Magic! It saw use yesterday too....
0x
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: 2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX 219,600

Post by myglaren » 08 Mar 2010, 20:18

KP wrote:Great news on the health front.

never really liked the death sticks as me and my brother call them and you will feel yourself improve great;y as time away from them increases :)

It's just the first 15 years that are the hardest :)
0x

Jackie Evancho

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 12 Mar 2010, 19:50

myglaren wrote:It's just the first 15 years that are the hardest :)

I can believe that Steve :twisted: I guess we ex-smokers are a bit like ex-alcoholics... one drink/fag and that's it, back to square one :cry: I did read that smoking permanently alters the nicotine receptors in your brain and they never revert back to how they were before :twisted:

Still, despite a very busy and hectic week, I'm still on the wagon :D I have noticed I'm gaining weight though, I guess from rather more grazing between meals. I noticed my work trousers were rather tighter than usual this evening :twisted: Not worn them since last Saturday...

I suppose I'll have to go on a diet soon :roll:

It's been a busy week at work and every evening this week I've come home both tired and averse to computers. hence no forum activity and nothing done on Project Activa. Still, much of valve was achieved at work and positive progress made...

I hope to rectify the lack of Activa progress this weekend. In the week I received the heatshrink to try a ram repair and today a new Activa Accumulator from Pleiades so I'm all set.

One useful thing happened today; a fair rainstorm. My sunroof repair is looking good :D

Here's hoping the weekend weather will be fair. I badly need some automotive therapy...
0x
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 12 Mar 2010, 22:31

I wouldn't disagree with the idea that changes to the brain from smoking are permanent, but over time the ability to rationalise (dismiss) an urge to smoke, improves greatly.

Bad news is that - from experience - it will take some years to reach this point. I reckon part of the "secret" is an ability to see the change as sort of turning a corner in life. That way it's not like adding a mental burden to the previous state. Semantically, it's comparing the people who say "I'm on a diet" to those who say "I've permanently changed my diet" - one group won't make it...

If you're going to graze, maybe try low-fat, low sucrose foods. Fresh and dried fruits, unleavened breads, weak mixes of "diet" cordial.

But - returning to the corner analogy; perhaps there is the "Activa Method" for quitting, where like the car you turn a corner quickly yet remain on the level!
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 14 Mar 2010, 09:51

addo wrote:But - returning to the corner analogy; perhaps there is the "Activa Method" for quitting, where like the car you turn a corner quickly yet remain on the level!

There is :D Just remind yourself how much healthier it is not smoking and how good to be rid of the addiction and how much nicer everywhere in the house and cars smells. That does the trick..

Got a bit of work done on project Activa yesterday although most jobs were little ones and not worthy of reporting...

Two that were is the MK1 ram repair attempt. It may not work but the MK2 version awaits in the wings...

This is a quick glimpse of the MK1 attempt...

One big problem on the ram front was the issue of the seized flare nut on one of the hydraulic pipes to it. This nut had resisted many attempts to free it off and made ram removal a bit tricky. It was necessary to leave the pipe connected and with the other pipe disconnected, rotate the whole ram to undo it from the pipe. The flare nut had to be freed or the ram could never be replaced.

It was well tight and a weeks' dousing in Plus Gas did not help and nor did bigger and bigger spanners...

In the end I turned up the heat a bit and brought my propane torch to bear on the job. A good heat and I could feel just a bit of "give" in the nut. A bit more heating and a bit more "give" :D Success! You just can't beat a bit of heat to shift tight stuff.

As a result of heating, a small fire under the wing had to be extinguished. LHM burns nicely and the ends of the two hydraulic pipes looked like a couple of oil rig flare-off pipes :lol: :lol: :lol:

These are the two pipes in question, showing the flare nuts. Imagine flames leaping from their ends... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

0x
Jim

lexi
My Cars:

Post by lexi » 14 Mar 2010, 11:20

Nice Jim. You have traded the Smoking Sticks for the "Smoke Spanner" :lol:

Just think: you can go anywher now without the appendage of fags and lighter. I gave up the mobile phone too.....I only have wallet and car keys now :D
0x
Citroen C5 HDI 110 Mk 1 hatchback

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: '07 307 SW 1.6 HDi 110
'08 C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 110

Post by RichardW » 14 Mar 2010, 20:38

When removing the pipe unions and bleed nipples from the (very corroded) rear calipers on my first Xantia I was alrernately heating with a blow lamp and quenching with plus gas. Got a bit hasty and did both at the same time - crusty eyebrows time :lol:
0x
Richard W
Still not welding the de-cap...
1.6 HDi central (C4 Picasso / 307 SW)
Xantia HDi 110 now bean tins