Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 15 Feb 2010, 18:58

andmcit wrote:And I thought a GS was calling your name Jim!? :wink:

citroenxm wrote:NO Andrew, XM's are calling Jim's name ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

They do and they are but they seem to be drowned out by certain Xantias calling louder :lol: :lol: :lol:

It seems I'm destined always to be associated with Xantias. It a bit like being stereotyped or should that be monotyped :roll:
0 x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 15 Feb 2010, 20:17

Having just one thing you're good at, works brilliantly for AC/DC.
0 x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 15 Feb 2010, 21:57

addo wrote:Having just one thing you're good at, works brilliantly for AC/DC.

I'd love to be good at just one thing Adam. I'm a jack of all trades me :roll: What we at work call a Generalist...

My new Activa project is due and planned to arrive on the back of a trailer Friday morning. I have already secured alternate parking nearby for one of my others so that my immediate area is not badly cluttered.

The heatshrink for potential ram repairs has arrived today. I shall have a go at that as soon as health and weather permit. Health is better today I'm happy to say and the doctor has diagnosed a nasty viral infection, the after-effects of which may linger for a while; in the meantime I'm ordered not to overdo it and continue to relax and take it easy.
0 x
Jim

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 » 15 Feb 2010, 22:12

CitroJim wrote:
Hopefully, it'll allow me, eventually, to put my red Activa into long-term dry storage and bring it out for shows and special occasions... That's been my plan now for a while.

I don't know how you will get it into the lounge...

Unless you knock 2 walls out of the kitchen... :sprint:
0 x

Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid » 16 Feb 2010, 10:27

Sorry to hear your not well Jim :(, but glad to hear your on the mend :)

A new project involving an Activa and a V6 engine.... that sounds very exciting :D :D Give me a call/PM if you want a hand with anything, I'd be happy to be involved when ever I can muster a free weekend :)

I personally would love to see a tiptronic/flappy paddle Activa, but I'm lazy and like these automatic gearboxes ;)

I think this icon is most appropriate representation of a V6 Activa 8-)
0 x
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 16 Feb 2010, 10:43

xantia_v6 wrote:I don't know how you will get it into the lounge...

Unless you knock 2 walls out of the kitchen... :sprint:

I've pondered this in the past Mike :lol:

I think, personally, a nice red Activa would make rather an attractive focal point in a lounge 8-)

I think it'll be a while before the spannering starts on the project Sid, there's an awful lot of planning in a job like this and my approach may well be a bit different from that of BL Autos and Handyman. I shall need to get the potential convertee up, running and MOT'd even before thinking about doing the job proper so that all problems can be resolved first. The convertee must be in A1 condition generally before conversion starts so there are no surprises.

My V6 was a case in point. Apart from a duff gearbox, there was a myriad of other issues that only came to light once the gearbox was fixed and the car back on its feet. If I had known the full extent of those other issues before setting out, things might have been different.

Better again today :D Still grotty and a bit spluttery but the old energy and desire to do something is returning 8-)

Trouble with me is that I'm so rarely ill that when I am it seems like the end of the world is nigh and recovery seems, at best, improbable :roll:

back to work tomorrow methinks...
0 x
Jim

lexi
My Cars:

Post by lexi » 16 Feb 2010, 11:31

Excellent Jim. No doubt as project evolves some details will change. Pug V6 manual gearbox?..........hens teeth without buying a full car? Having a new project is like travelling hopefully and is a nice feeling .

A whole lot different than when we were younger and had to finish any project to get car back on road for work as our only daily driver :lol:
0 x
Citroen C5 HDI 110 Mk 1 hatchback

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2

Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Post by Brigsygtt » 16 Feb 2010, 13:21

Sounds like a decent project Jim 8-)
0 x
97 Xantia 1.9 td lx with a/c (Daily, 172K, FOR SALE)
98 Xantia Hdi Lx with a/c (105k)
97 Renault Extra (c1j turbo 230+hp, 12.88@106)
91 Renault 5 Gt turbo (68k minter)

Koukku
My Cars:

Post by Koukku » 16 Feb 2010, 16:22

Yet another interesting project :)

Have you looked into the possibility of having a limited slip diff?
0 x
- V6 Activa / Mini R53 JCW -

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 16 Feb 2010, 22:29

Koukku wrote:Have you looked into the possibility of having a limited slip diff?

No, not sure if they're available for an ML5 but it would be a good idea :D

I'm feeling much better now so had a play in the workshop on the leaky Activa Ram.

I had a look into putting heatshrink around the ram joint as discussed. I needed to make a hole in the side of the heatshrink for the leakage return spigot and reckoned that hole would have to be carefully made to avoid it splitting as the material shrank. I made up a hollow punch to do the job by grinding an edge on the end of a piece of 7mm steel tube. That worked a treat.

I shrank the bandage on and ended up with this:

It looks good but sadly I think it will have been a waste of time. the heatshrink material I used is quite soft and remains so after shrinking and is able to exert no force. It is soft enough to be peeled away even though it is shrunk to perhaps only 50% of it's maximum shrink.

Ahh well, it was worth a try but I reckon it is back to the drawing board :(

I looked at how my recently fitted ram was leaking. Interestingly, it is leaking only when the suspension is going from high to low. Statically it is not leaking at all and nor is it leaking going from low to high :?
0 x
Jim

lexi
My Cars:

Post by lexi » 17 Feb 2010, 00:13

What about some high performance tape Jim? Put an oil proof membrane on first. I think Butylite or Varnamo Butyl rubber may do. It has a tape that joins it together for pond liners...........wrapped round tight. Sometimes leather can be used as a gaiter too

That area that the shrink wrap covers. If that was taken off and same area covered in High Mod Sikaflex. Then tooled in nice and smooth and finished with wet finger to a thickness of 3mm. It would be like a covereng round it once hardened........like a lead pipe with a bossed joint (wiped).

Just throwing some stuff out loud mate :lol:
0 x
Citroen C5 HDI 110 Mk 1 hatchback

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2

Dommo
My Cars:

Post by Dommo » 17 Feb 2010, 00:52

What did you use to heat it up Jim?
0 x
Current cars
07 C5 II VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp, blue. Daily driver.
97 S1 Activa, 76k miles and nearly immaculate (apart from the paint)
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D in white, with a 2.1TD front end (dying :( )

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active suspension in blue, #425 of 873.

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan » 17 Feb 2010, 09:36

CitroJim wrote:
I looked at how my recently fitted ram was leaking. Interestingly, it is leaking only when the suspension is going from high to low. Statically it is not leaking at all and nor is it leaking going from low to high :?

Doesnt surprise me. When my ram leaked due to the pipe coming off, there was very little LHM coming out when in normal or high, it was only in low it really pissed it out. The compression of the ram internals must force the fluid out, rather than the compression of the LHM from the rest of the system.
0 x
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans

vince
My Cars:

Post by vince » 17 Feb 2010, 21:43

The problem will then be sealing it to withstand pressure from within.

What is the undersurface made from Jim?

I know there is a relatively new product from Forte which rejuvinates rubber seals in power steering racks as an additive to the ps fluid...not sure if anything like that would be suitable or even mixable with LHM?
0 x
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 » 17 Feb 2010, 22:11

I am sure you can fabricate something better than the heatshrink, I would try for something a bit more positive, maybe a thickish rubber sleeve and a clamp band with a hole for the tube? Maybe I have misunderstood the problem.
0 x