Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 31 Jan 2010, 10:54

Seriously, send it to one of the hydraulic ram repair places. At the least, their diagnosis will give you ammunition for some sort of consumer claim process.

That "redgold" fellow might be a looper, but his business approach seems sound enough - diagnose, quote, proceed to repair ASAP if possible/authorised.
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 31 Jan 2010, 21:29

That's a good thought Adam. I guess to them, a ram is a ram. Certainly worth a shot...

Today has been a real FCF mini-meet :D Paul (Citroenxm), Toby (Toby_HDi) and Xac...One reason Paul came down was to collect the MK2 silver bonnet from the V6 we broke.

We were all a bit dubious if it would fit in a Xantia hatch and for a while it looked as if it wouldn't but Paul preserved, traied all angles and finally, after removing one back seat, it did. Quite a remarkable feat!

We continued the diagnosis of Toby's electrovalve problems and found the cause. Checking the voltage to the electrovalves showed nothing at all to the rear valve and a very low voltage to the front one. A duff ECU and proved by doing a quick swap with a MK1 ECU. Although incompatible with a MK2, it did spark both electrovalves into life and resulted in very healthy clicks and humming from both :D

More then likely the VN05Ns in the ECU have failed and Toby will be swapping them in due course. At £3.15 each it's worth a go.

We also noticed Toby's rear ram was swinging about a bit on the lower eye, by around a quarter inch :o This showed the ram bush was a bit worn.

It was. This is all that was left of it:

:lol:

I spun up one of my specials in the lathe and fitted it.. Hopefully Toby will enjoy a quieter ride home...

The lat job looked at was the Activa Accumulator which has defied previous attempts to be removed. It defied me too :twisted:

I reckon the only answer now is to remove the sphere bracket complete with sphere, put it in a big vice and give it some serious treatment involving heat, Plus-Gas, some force and a Pleiades tool.

All in all, Toby has a good Activa and for the price he paid, very well bought.

It only has a few faults to sort and then it'll be really rather good.

All in all, an excellent weekend of various spannering, nattering and fettling. Just what the doctor ordered really - I've missed a good bout of car work for a couple of weekends now and just the tonic I need to set me up for the coming week.

Thanks Paul, Toby and Xac for a very pleasant weekend. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did...
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 31 Jan 2010, 21:59

Was great to meet Toby and see Paul again.
0x
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool

Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi » 31 Jan 2010, 23:32

Excellent day it was indeed. Good to meet Paul and Xac, thanks for the sausage rolls!

Many thanks to Jim for his efforts on my Activa. The ride home was much improved with the new bush in place. Must thank you for that mean chili con carne, mmmmmm :D
0x
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 02 Feb 2010, 09:40

Toby_HDi wrote:Must thank you for that mean chili con carne, mmmmmm :D

No worries Toby and pleased the ride home was better. Just wait until the ECU is sorted and the spheres replaced :P You think it's good now but it'll be a million times better then...

I swallowed hard and ordered a new rear ram for mine yesterday from our local Stealer who is actually a Pug dealer foremost. They were very helpful actually :D

Cost was a bit eye-watering though. £406 :twisted: :( :cry: :roll:
0x
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 02 Feb 2010, 09:58

Oh man. I hope the old one goes off to forensics. It'd be nice if there can be a sensible rebuild option worked out.
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 02 Feb 2010, 10:09

addo wrote:Oh man. I hope the old one goes off to forensics. It'd be nice if there can be a sensible rebuild option worked out.

That's what is planned Adam. Watch this space and I'll speak news as soon as I have some...
0x
Jim

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit » 02 Feb 2010, 10:41

CitroJim wrote:Cost was a bit eye-watering though. £406 :twisted: :( :cry: :roll:

Yooowwwch! That's going to bring a tear to the eye for sure. :cry:
There's got to be an easier work around than using a 'new but will it last'
one from Citroen! I'll be watching this will keen interest.

One of mine is totally bone dry (touches wood) but TBH I'd say it's got
some play on it as it actually sounds like the normal duff wobbly drop link
over the bumpy stuff! It passed a recent very thorough vigilant MOT mind! :?
I'm even wondering if the end 'eye' on the ARB could wear and oval wider
in diameter... :shock:

Andrew
0x

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan » 02 Feb 2010, 11:38

CitroJim wrote:
Toby_HDi wrote:Must thank you for that mean chili con carne, mmmmmm :D

No worries Toby and pleased the ride home was better. Just wait until the ECU is sorted and the spheres replaced :P You think it's good now but it'll be a million times better then...

I swallowed hard and ordered a new rear ram for mine yesterday from our local Stealer who is actually a Pug dealer foremost. They were very helpful actually :D

Was about to call Duff Morgan but if you've already ordered it, no problem.
0x
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 02 Feb 2010, 13:13

XantiaMan583 wrote:Was about to call Duff Morgan but if you've already ordered it, no problem.

Simple reason Gareth, and a strange one. I feel incredibly exposed and vulnerable having only one car serviceable so I want to get the Activa back into running order as soon as I possibly can.

I've got to have at least two cars on the road at any time.

I never know when I may need to go down to Somerset in an emergency and if the V6 throws a wobbler, I'm toast.

I can't even borrow Robyn's 206 at the moment as her Mum is using it whilst she awaits delivery of a Pug 207...

She's finished driving instruction now so the Ford Fester has been given the big heave-ho in favour of something French. She was not at all impressed with the Fester after having run a series of Citroen C3s previously and was pleased to see the back of the hideous little thing.
0x
Jim

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit » 02 Feb 2010, 15:16

I know exactly what you mean about having handy back up cars and I
guess I'm even more neurotic as I have more than a couple on the road
at any one time... :oops:

that's not to say they don't leapfrog problems among themselves mind! :roll:
It reminds me of the Bruce Willis Armageddon film where they refer to
the NASA approach of planning everything with 'built in redundancy'! :lol:
By chance and carpet bombing tactics I've always got at least one needy
awkward Citroen being used even if it is planning it's next move to be
a PITA.

Andrew
0x

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG » 02 Feb 2010, 23:26

CitroJim wrote:I swallowed hard and ordered a new rear ram for mine yesterday from our local Stealer who is actually a Pug dealer foremost. They were very helpful actually :D

Jim, how many miles has the car done since I fitted that new ram @ 101555 miles?
0x
14 BMW 535D Tourer
11 BMW F25 X3 3.0D Sport
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH

lexi
donor 2017
My Cars:

Post by lexi » 03 Feb 2010, 19:28

I would be looking for proper Viton seals at that price Jim but what can ya do?. I'm saying that but who knows if Viton is a better solution...it certainly is the top rubber.

Bosch are big makers of hydraulic rams . They have a factory in Livingstone and a fishing buddy of mine is Production Manager. I know they do lots of digger JCB type stuff.
0x
Citroen C5 HDI 110 Mk 1 hatchback

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 03 Feb 2010, 19:42

DickieG wrote:Jim, how many miles has the car done since I fitted that new ram @ 101555 miles?

Almost exactly 10,000 Richard :cry: That's not good really...

Lexi, I wonder if they might do anything that can be adapted to suit? The ram is not quite a standard thing as it has an eye at the bottom and a balljoint at the top.

I reckon a bit of cleverness could adapt something suitable. Do they publish their range in a form that we might have a look for something that may be adaptable? If so, how would one purchase?

Good news: I heard today I passed my ITIL exam with a very healthy passmark despite being very pessimistic at the outcome :D

Bad news: I'm not feeling well at all today. Rapidly sinking into what feels like a bad cold or 'flu... I felt a bit rough this morning and have god progressively worse as the day has worn on. I have a headache and that's a bad sign as I hardly ever get them...
0x
Jim

lexi
donor 2017
My Cars:

Post by lexi » 03 Feb 2010, 21:42

I reckon a bit of cleverness could adapt something suitable. Do they publish their range in a form that we might have a look for something that may be adaptable? If so, how would one purchase?

Will try to contact him if he is home. He travels and works away a lot.....China Romania Hungary. Last time we spoke it was of recession.......demand for stuff has fallen badly :( . I get the impression they are rigid on long run production stuff rather than bespoke. It comes from abroad made to their spec and they put it together.........but they must have some kit.

Give me the questions and I will get his email...He is a good buddy :wink:
0x
Citroen C5 HDI 110 Mk 1 hatchback

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2