Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Re: Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Post by xantia_v6 » 28 May 2018, 19:34

I think that this might be a good time to thank Jim for all the help he has been to forum members, and indeed for being the technical administrator of this forum for about 8 years.

He has frequently gone out of his way to help others (did I tell you about the time he took several days off work to change the transmission on my car while I went off on holiday!!), and has become a personal friend of many who have met him through this forum.

I hope that while out running he trips over a miracle cure and we see him back here.

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon » 28 May 2018, 20:29

Small example of the big influence of our CitroJim. Curiosity, interest humour and enthusiasm, and always prepared to both share and respond and that is why the FCF has been a welcoming friendly place. Obviously very much missed by me and everyone else.

This little pic from one of your bike rides captured my interest, and has been responsible for some excellent and joyful days out "Treasure Hunting" others around Cumbria and Yorkshire over the last few weeks.

Drew a blank today though, 150 miles round trip, only to find the sign had gone. Not a second wasted though lovely trip again, and the important thing It was there once!

Bit of a metaphor for your own leaving today Jim, we are all better off for you having been here!

bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v » 28 May 2018, 20:34

All the very best Jim =D> , a true legend .

Mark

Michel

Post by Michel » 28 May 2018, 20:40

Jim's a star. He's been wonderfully helpful to me ever since I bothered him about an Activa problem back in 2009 after a mutual acquaintance put me in touch with him. I will stay in touch with him via other channels but I'm sure he will be ok!

Let's be pleased we know such a gent and let him make his decision his way. That means no pressure from anyone please. I know Jim overthinks things sometimes like I'd do and I'd hate to see him not do as he pleases because he feels guilty ( I'm so aware no one is trying make him feel guilty, it's just the way he and some others like me react to what we perceive as pressure)
Last edited by Michel on 28 May 2018, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 28 May 2018, 20:49

Indeed, Jim is a legend and has been largely responsible for the ethos of the forum as well as providing incalculable amounts of technical help to forum members.
Definitely one of a kind.

Mandrake

Post by Mandrake » 28 May 2018, 20:49

Gutted to hear this Jim, you will be sorely missed. :(

Please pop in from time to time to say hello. Never say never! =D>

daviemck2006
Donor 2016

Post by daviemck2006 » 28 May 2018, 21:02

Jim will be sorely missed on here. A great guy and so helpful. Thank you Jim for what you have done for me, I shall feep in touch via the book of face and we will catch up when I get down south.

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 28 May 2018, 23:21

Really won't be the same here without your sense of humour and knowledge. I know my forays into green blooded Citroens may have ended in frustration rather than joy without his help.

I'm not on Facebook...but this may be the thing that kicks me into making actual use of it.

I'll be staying in touch in person whenever possible.

We'll keep the door open and the hearth warm though.

MikeT

Post by MikeT » 30 May 2018, 13:09

Totally understandable you're retiring from this forum and thank you hugely for all you've done over the many, many years (where have they gone!?!)
Au Revoir. Citrojim.

lexi
donor 2017

Post by lexi » 30 May 2018, 17:16

It's hard to believe that Uncle Jim is not going to be here.
Atb with your health mate.

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » 04 Aug 2018, 00:05

Oh wow!
Only just seen that Jim's no longer around on here (I was a very very intermittent visitor here from March-ish time this year till recently again, due to personal matters) so completely missed this!
Real shame not to have Jim around on here - a lovely guy and massive wealth of knowledge that has helped many of us!
Likewise, I'm not on facebook (and don't even know what Strava is) so won't know what he is still up to. Hopefully some other members will update us.

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger » 04 Aug 2018, 06:21

Rest assured he is OK, at present quite well and still very fit. He just does not "do forums" these days due to the stress they cause.

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 04 Aug 2018, 17:59

I hope he remembers to bring the book I found for you, Sticky. I think you will like it.

Mandrake

Post by Mandrake » 04 Aug 2018, 19:19

Stickyfinger wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 06:21
Rest assured he is OK, at present quite well and still very fit. He just does not "do forums" these days due to the stress they cause.

I find forums only cause stress if you feel compelled or expected to reply to people or achieve inbox zero! :lol: It's that expectation that causes the stress.

I used to be very active on a forum related to an open source project I was (still am) involved in, where in an effort to help people, out of a sense of duty I ended up doing a lot of user support even though technically I was a developer, it got to the point where the forum was taking a lot more time than developing and it became a real chore trying to keep up with the number of posts and I stopped enjoying it due to the relentless tide of new posts, questions, people needing help etc... it did become quite stressful, and felt more like an unpaid job and a duty than a hobby. (I already have a job, I don't need another one!)

I soon started avoiding the forum altogether. After a few months break I started to pop in occasionally when it suited me, have a quick "snipe" and then depart again. Letting go of the feeling that I was compelled to keep up with the latest on the forum or answer any questions that I felt I could answer or was well suited to answer was extremely liberating.

I could look at the new posts counter and see there were 2000 new posts since last time I checked 2 months earlier and not care! :lol: I would give the thread list a quick skim, only click on ones that had some particular interest to me, and perhaps reply if I felt like it, and then not worry about coming back to follow it up. I would then blissfully click on the mark all read link and then disappear for another few weeks. :twisted:

I suspect Jim reached the same level of burnout I did (I even scaled back my presence on here as well) and he does seem like the sort of person who is compelled to always help someone in need until it gets to be too much.

Maybe he will read this post one day after a break and realise that it's OK to not read every thread on a forum, and not feel compelled to reply to people in need - even if you know you can help them! There are other people to help on a forum in one person's absense and the world still goes on.

A forum should be a fun hobby, never a chore! As soon as it becomes a chore you need to take a step back and think about why you're there.

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 04 Aug 2018, 19:29

I saw Jim last week, and he seemed fit and well to me.