Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Post by CitroJim » 04 May 2018, 17:56

Some hard work on the garden this year will reap huge benefits in the coming years Zel, I worked really hard to pull mine into shape a couple of years ago now and it's now quite easy and not too onerous to maintain it...

Worth it as less time in the garden = more time playing cars ;)

Wood chippers are fun :D

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 04 May 2018, 17:58

CitroJim wrote:
04 May 2018, 17:56
Wood chippers are fun :D

And, used properly, can also save time in the kitchens of fast food take-aways as well!

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 04 May 2018, 19:47

Biggest challenge I've got is just the sheer volume of waste that I've got to get rid of already, given that I've already filled all the spaces that I can put it without annoying the neighbours by piling it up in the middle of the front garden. Being mostly bits of conifer the problem is that it's springy, fluffing difficult to saw, and brushy nonsense that occupies about 20 times more volume once it's cut down than seems physically possible. The Saab was by far the car with the greatest cargo carrying volume I've ever had, but even that you could have full to bursting in about five minutes. Chipping it is really the only sensible way to get it into an easily baggable and transportable format.

The fact that the previous owners have let everything grow wild for a decade really hasn't done us any favours.

Gibbo2286

Post by Gibbo2286 » 05 May 2018, 09:57

My daughter sent me a Marks and Spencer small half barrel planter with a few plants including a 'dwarf' fir tree about 8 inches tall, I popped it in the garden when the wooden barrel fell to pieces, earlier this year I called in the local tree experts to remove this now 24 foot tall 'dwarf'

They were here only about forty five minutes, felled the tree, ground out the stump, carried the debris out to an industrial wood chipper on their Land Rover trailer and all gone, no sign the tree was ever there.

Cost me £192 all in but well worth it.

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
donor 2018

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur » 05 May 2018, 20:12

Strawberry plot also looking fabulous here Jim :)
Attachments
20180505_201000.jpg

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 07 May 2018, 15:03

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote:
05 May 2018, 20:12
Strawberry plot also looking fabulous here Jim :)

That plot is looking very good Puxa... Excellent! Do you make jam or do they not hang around long enough for that?

This weekend has been all about running in the MK Marathon Weekend...

Yesterday I ran the Rocket 5K - so-called because it's a fast one all downhill almost. I got a good time but not the best as I was near the back of the start pen and there was lots of initial congestion.. The first K was little m ore than walking pace... Still did it in 25 minutes and given the intense jeat that was not bad...

Today was the Half Marathon in really intense heat... I thoroughly enjoyed it and did it in just under two hours :-D Given the conditions that was realy quite excellent!

Here it is in Strava :)
41907623472_126d158cdd_o.jpg
Own Work via Strava
And here's all the bling I won! One medal for the Rocket, one for the half and one for running both!
mkm2018meds.jpg
Own Work
And not only that, I cycled to and from the venue - another 16 miles on top of the 13.1 I ran...

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
donor 2018

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur » 07 May 2018, 17:30

Thanks Jim, no generally we have them with Cream, before the Slugs and Snails get 'em. 'tis especially nice for it to be looking so good as last year's crop was pathetic. Removing the half-glazed Greenhouse I had erected over them has helped I think*

It was a bit of a downer to recently learn that Hedgehogs aren't that partial to Slugs, maybe they've learnt that they can be full of poison pellets; we've got at least two 'Resident'.... there was me thinking they were my unpaid garden helpers. :-D

My knee would let its less than perfect condition very known if I were to try to run any distance (especially downhill, where you need to 'brake') and while you were doing a half-Marathon, I was thinking better of making a 25metre journey to the end of our front jungle with the lawnmower..... bit of a difference eh! I'm really quite incredulous that you can manage such things in these conditions. Good on ya!

I did take the ATB out earlier on a rare jaunt along the Thames Path, far more appropriate off-road than the sports bike, but its such a waste of space on the Asphalt to get it there & back it takes the joy out of it.

*talking of which, an idea for a Thread 'What's the Biggest thing you've had in the car'

PS: Zel, do give a thought to burning your garden waste: its not that smokey if its dry, and if you butter up the neighbours with a bottle of plonk, an apology in advance and a warning to get the washing in; you'll find it a very quick & effective means of waste removal, the law's a lot laxer about 'when' than many people think, too. If your drive's gravel, scrape the gravel back for a fire site and re-cover afterwards.

Michel

Post by Michel » 07 May 2018, 17:51

You must be somewhere vaguely near me if you're near the Thames path. Yes. I know it's about 59 miles long :) I often ride from Sonning to Henley down it, but actually getting the 2 miles to Sonning and the 4 miles back from Henley home on off-road tyres on the road is hard work!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 07 May 2018, 17:52

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote:
07 May 2018, 17:30
I was thinking better of making a 25metre journey to the end of our front jungle with the lawnmower..... bit of a difference eh!

No! I'd say that was well equivalent to a half-marathon ;) Beating a garden into shape is much harder than running in my book...

Biggest load in any car I've owned is two Hoover 'Keymatic' washing machines in the back of one of my R4s back in the late 70s...

I used to love my old 'bow-front' Keymatics and got one and one for spares...

One of these:
keymatic.JPG
Wikimedia Commons

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
donor 2018

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur » 07 May 2018, 20:13

10 x 8 Greenhouse / Moped / 2 Seater Sofa & Armchair for me Jim.

Lot to be said for old technology, 'Computer Says No' doesn't apply to those WM's that's for sure, Jim.

That article on the Xantia btw (someone posted it on one of the Threads), wow; talk about praise!!

Not far Michel, pm heading your way

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 07 May 2018, 22:27

Goodness, been a while since I've seen one of them...our old next door neighbour had one for a while, had to fix the program timer a couple of times (I must have been about 12 at the time)...

andy5
donor 2018

Post by andy5 » 09 May 2018, 10:09

Big load anecdote: full size telegraph pole in/out the back of a Volvo 221, back seat and split tailgate down, a friend sat on the inner end of it with head or shoulders braced against the roof

(only about half a mile, and not on a public road)

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
donor 2018

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur » 09 May 2018, 11:31

now that is going some! So there's a limit even to the loads a Volvo can carry!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 09 May 2018, 14:42

andy5 wrote:
09 May 2018, 10:09
Big load anecdote: full size telegraph pole in/out the back of a Volvo 221,

Now that's a serious load... I've dragged a full-size telegraph pole on the end of a rope and they are certainly heavy!

Did an interesting little job yesterday... In Saturday one of our parkrun stopwatches died. Luckily we always use two as runners are very keen to know their times... On the one that failed the Lap/Split button stopped working and given that has to be pressed for every runner that''s a lot of switch operations...

With nothing to loose I had a look at fixing it. On opening the thing I found the 'switches' to start, stop and lap count are no more than bits of bent tin that the button itself deforms to make a contact... The Lap/Split bit of bent tin had suffered metal fatigue and fallen off...

I re-engineered it by taking a fine piece of very flexible wire and soldered one end to the button plunger and the other end to the switching plate making sure the bit of the wire that flexes was not tinned as this would make it brittle...

So far, after two days of intensive testing it seems to be successful...

The quality of construction of this stopwatch is dreadful but then they are very cheap for such a device. It has a 500 lap memory and times are downloadable to the parkrun windows app via a very delicate and 'iffy' USB port...

You can see the essence of all I've written above in the picture below:
fixedstopwatch.jpg
Own Work
If it's not successful it's not a problem as a replacement is on its way from parkrun event support :)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 12 May 2018, 13:21

I have some new wheels :D

As my driving decreases I find myself riding more and more in Milton Keynes on the 'Redway' cycle routes. These are rough in places and my road bikes don't cope with them at all well. Ditto potholes - of which we have plenty...

So I got hold of a properly light gravel/adventure bike...
bluey2.jpg
Own Work
This is the cycling equivalent to a 4X4 SUV and will happily go off-road... Unlike an SUV it is neither bulky nor heavy...

It's very light and has tubeless tyres...

The ride is akin to a featherbed; potholes and rough surfaces cease to exist :D

I'm looking forward to taking it on some serious off-road adventures soon, especially down in the New Forest...