Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Michel
My Cars: Some terrible ones.

Re: Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Post by Michel » 02 May 2018, 17:15

CitroJim wrote:
02 May 2018, 16:59
NewcastleFalcon wrote:
02 May 2018, 16:56
One of these icons?

Regards Neil

Spot-on Neil =D> 8-) :-D

A Carlton...

I must go and get a picture of it now the weather is a bit better...

I warn you it looks a bit different to the one you found... Soon though it'll look just as good ;)

I sold one like that about a year before you started cycling Jim. I'd have gladly given it to you! It was my grandad's training bike. Weighed not much more than your carbon bike. All campag chainset and tub wheels. Lovely old thing really.
Drop a gear and disappear.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Sally the white Saxo, Pixie the Sliver Pixo, a Giant TCR Bike, Giant TCR Pro Bike and a Giant gravel/adventure bike.

Post by CitroJim » 02 May 2018, 17:28

Michel wrote:
02 May 2018, 17:15
I sold one like that about a year before you started cycling Jim. I'd have gladly given it to you! It was my grandad's training bike. Weighed not much more than your carbon bike. All campag chainset and tub wheels. Lovely old thing really.

They are very lovely :D

They're really sought-after now Mike and have a huge following on Facebook... It's good as I need to procure lots of bits for this one and the FB group will help enormously...

Here's the one with me...
carltonbike.jpg
I stress it's not mine, I'm just doing the work as a project...

A project I'm going to enjoy immensely - I may even learn how to build wheels if it proves necessary...

The owner may just make himself known soon ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim

I am no longer active on this forum but please feel free to follow me on Facebook and Strava :)

Michel

Post by Michel » 02 May 2018, 17:46

Here's the one I had before they became sought after!

I put standard wheels on it when it had the child seat on!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zelandeth
Donor 2016
My Cars: 1996 Citroen Xantia Activa
1975 AC Model-70
1985 Sinclair C5
1993 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate

Post by Zelandeth » 02 May 2018, 18:55

So yes, that would be my bike...

Has been in our family since the early 90s, becoming mine around 1995 or so when I got tall enough to ride the thing. It then went all over Aberdeenshire over the following 10 years or so. It has spent pretty much its entire life outside, so was looking "well weathered" even when I got it. Given that I had until the last couple of years near zero resources available to me, it was run on a shoestring - hence a piece of wire coathanger and some cable-ties replacing the bust spring in the gear mechanism (I'm not even trying to spell the correct technical term), and the saddle being replaced with something I had laying around in the scrap pile when the original fell to bits.

It fell into disuse around 2006 or so when I moved in to Aberdeen as I just didn't have anywhere for it to live in the flat.

Here it is around 2012 when I wheeled it out of the shed to do a bit of a stock take and see what it needed.
SDC16817.JPG
Unfortunately what happened next was that my father decided to be "helpful." His vision of helpful being to take the thing entirely to pieces and give it one of the worst paint jobs in the history of the world. Given that he had serious memory problems I'm astonished that I didn't wind up missing anything critical. I count it a mercy that he couldn't get some bits apart.

I very hastily threw the majority of bits back on at that point so they wouldn't grow legs of their own and disappear and buried it sufficiently far at the back of the shed that he couldn't get at it to do any more damage.

Fast forward to 2018, and it's hopefully going to be restored to a properly functioning state now. Given the pounding the thing has taken in the past without bother (it was my only transport really between the mid 90s and when I first got access to a car in 2003) I've no real worries about it on the Redways, she's a tough old girl.

Once I've got a full mechanical assessment done I'll try to do something about the paintwork. I'm never going to get it spot on, but I'm hoping I'll be able to get to "looks reasonable from 10 paces" at least. Sadly I think stripping and going for the clearcoat approach for the mirror finish is out of the question (as that would both look the part and be pretty easy otherwise!) thanks to the damage my father did in attempting to remove the original surface corrosion etc. The top tube in particular is quite badly scratched unfortunately.

At the very least, it'll get a spray over with something that's slightly less drastically different to the original colours with a view to possibly get the paintwork sorted professionally later.

It's too good a bike to just sit rotting at the back of a shed.

I'm both looking forward to getting to ride the thing again, and likewise to seeing it being used by Jim for what it was designed to do, race.
Current fleet:
1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 85 Sinclair C5. 93 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate, 75 AC Model 70.

Michel

Post by Michel » 02 May 2018, 19:26

If you're going to paint it, do it right. Get Jim to strip it completely and send it away and get it re-enamalled properly. It's the only, and best way, and it will look fantastic. A proper place should be able to get period decals too..

It's not as horrendously expensive as you might imagine. By the time you've bought paint and materials to do it yourself, and made a not great job of it... £115 will get it done properly for you..

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/frame-resprays/

Zelandeth
Donor 2016
1975 AC Model-70
1985 Sinclair C5

Post by Zelandeth » 02 May 2018, 19:31

If you're talking that sort of money, there's no excuse not to have it done professionally!
Current fleet:
1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 85 Sinclair C5. 93 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate, 75 AC Model 70.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Sally the white Saxo, Pixie the Sliver Pixo, a Giant TCR Bike, Giant TCR Pro Bike and a Giant gravel/adventure bike.

Post by CitroJim » 03 May 2018, 05:46

It's definitely worth a proper professional paint job Zel :)
Jim

I am no longer active on this forum but please feel free to follow me on Facebook and Strava :)

lexi
donor 2017
My Cars:

Post by lexi » 03 May 2018, 08:41

I had a Carlton back in the 70's. It had a fully chromed frame. Allsop in Nottingham IIRC.?
Citroen C5 HDI 110 Mk 1 hatchback

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2

andy5

Post by andy5 » 03 May 2018, 09:09

CitroJim wrote:
02 May 2018, 17:28
Michel wrote:
02 May 2018, 17:15
A project I'm going to enjoy immensely - I may even learn how to build wheels if it proves necessary...

I assume there are web pages to explain this now, but I used to have a book, well more like a pamphlet, and surprised myself by managing to rebuild a couple of wheels quite well, to about quarter of a millimetre of round and sideways movement when spun. So don't be daunted.

This was also a Carlton, bought secondhand in 1970 or 71 for £5, fixed up by my dad and me, and maybe a bit old even then - it had a John Bull front tyre and a steel Campag Gran Sport rear derailleur, which might nail down the dates a bit.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 03 May 2018, 12:34

Got a book on it here Andy and to be honest, quite relishing the challenge and learning something new :)
Jim

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
donor 2018
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur » 03 May 2018, 14:55

if the Carlton's got value Zel, do as little as you possibly can with the paint, I've heard many stories over the years of well intentioned owners ruining a bike's value by respraying it. Clearly damage has been done, but a suitable spray job on the forks would improve matters a lot. The rake on those forks looks suspiciously 'Tourer' ish to me, by the way, check they're Sports forks before you go too far with 'em.

Big old frame that Jim, is it a 25"? Don't be 'frightened' of wheel building, its not that hard, largely requires patience and a jig.... I always had the patience, but never the jig, so mine was a bit 'hit & miss', but the method is really quite simple.

NB: if anyone can use em, I'm holding a pair of Raleigh Record Sprint wheels. I've been really torn what to do with 'em for ages now, I shod em with new 20C's a couple of years back. Unfortunately, having done that (which is a pig of a job on these, the rim sides are very 'tall', I hated them on 'real world roads' and took em off after only about 20miles use. They're rare coz they're the early 'Concave' style rims and I rebuilt the rear with a Maillard Screw type hub in place of the original Helicomatic. I'd quite like at least £20 to cover what I laid out for the tyres & tubes. Pic is old by the way but will take fresh pics if anyone's interested.

Still using bikes of (almost) this era: 1980's Pug HLE and Raleigh Routier.
Puxa

Gibbo2286
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.

Post by Gibbo2286 » 03 May 2018, 15:54

I used to ride a hundred miles most Sundays 'when I were a lad' but it was for pleasure not for speed, I visited all the touristy places north and south of Birmingham.
Frequent trips to Stratford on Avon, stopping on the way for Henley in Arden ice cream.

Zelandeth
Donor 2016
1975 AC Model-70
1985 Sinclair C5

Post by Zelandeth » 03 May 2018, 15:59

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote:
03 May 2018, 14:55
if the Carlton's got value Zel, do as little as you possibly can with the paint, I've heard many stories over the years of well intentioned owners ruining a bike's value by respraying it. Clearly damage has been done, but a suitable spray job on the forks would improve matters a lot.

The photos really flatter it with regards to its current state to be honest. The paint is uneven, not of great quality and a far brighter green than it looks there. Any value has already gone out the window most likely, so I may as well go what I can at least to make it look as presentable as I can.

It's been in the family long enough that the sentimental value far outweighs any monetary value it might have anyway to be totally honest.
Current fleet:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 04 May 2018, 17:08

Amongst lots of other work today to clear the decks for the weekend of running fun, I gave the Saxo a full service and a good scrub, both inside and out...

The Saxo is just about perfect, nothing needed any attention except for the routine service items. I changed the oil on a time-basis and the old oil was still a bit translucent...

She's a little cracker of a car :D

Here she is after a good bath... She needed it badly :twisted:
saxo040518.jpg
I also fired up the Ka. She's not been touched for weeks upon weeks but she started instantly... Another little cracker of a car :D

She'll now soon be welded and back on the road...

The garden also received a lot of attention today too... Not so much fun as playing cars but it looks like I'm in for a good strawberry harvest and hopefully, many jars of jam :D
Jim

Zelandeth
Donor 2016
1975 AC Model-70
1985 Sinclair C5

Post by Zelandeth » 04 May 2018, 17:50

Ah, gardening...

Crammed another green bin full of bits of hedge cuttings today...still hasn't made any appreciable dent in the pile after several months. Did uncover an ant colony though, which they weren't too pleased about. I seriously need to hire a wood chipper.
Current fleet: