Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

daviemck2006
Donor 2016

Re: Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Post by daviemck2006 » 08 Apr 2018, 22:47

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:11
I wonder how easy it would be for us to purchase a property in each of the Arctic Circles so that CitroJim could alternate between zones of his optimal temperature and performance?

A property in Scotland (I already own it) and one in new Zealand and Jim and I can stay 6 months in each. I'll be in Scotland may June July August and September when Jim is in new Zealand (winter) and swap for the other 6 months lol

Michel

Post by Michel » 08 Apr 2018, 22:50

CitroJim wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 17:55
Thanks both :)

Bizarrely, I'm far better in the depths of winter - Illogical I know but that's how it's been for a number of years now...

I'm not. The cold weather does me in. I got cold today up a bloody hill looking at a Basilica in Marseille. It was still 18c but *very* windy. I wasn't dressed for it. I knew that it would cause problems later on in the evening and I was right. I felt the shoulder pain and upper back tightness and burning forearms of the old thyroid symptoms coming on, so rushed the 140km back to Frejus which took every ounce of brain power I had, and now I'm a wreck. In a lot of pain, burning arms, painful joints and terrible mind-fog. I hate it. It'll last for a few days but I'll have to ignore it as I'm on holiday with an 8 year old!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 09 Apr 2018, 07:30

Oh Mike, that's not good :( I know the brain-fog problem so well.. I wish you a very speedy recovery and may the rest of your holiday be absolutely brilliant and very enjoyable...

I like the idea of moving around to take advantage of a perfect personal climate! I know I'm odd as as I'm happy cycling in sub-zero temperatures and the wet and just love running in the rain...

New Zealand wouldn't work for me though - I can't fly... Maybe Northern Scotland in the summer and Deepest Somerset in the winter!

Brain is still dead today and it looks like it may be for some time. Despite that, I'm physically good and very happy and content... The only issue is a non-functional brain and being unable to work because of it...

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 09 Apr 2018, 09:27

OK, we will try and dig you your own private tunnel between locations, well lit and with rest points at suitably regular intervals so that you can cycle between your summer and winter home!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 09 Apr 2018, 09:55

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 09:27
OK, we will try and dig you your own private tunnel between locations, well lit and with rest points at suitably regular intervals so that you can cycle between your summer and winter home!

Perfect :D

daviemck2006
Donor 2016

Post by daviemck2006 » 09 Apr 2018, 11:54

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 09:27

A straight through tunnel from here to NZ. Jim and I can meet in the middle for a natter on the way. Save me braving airports, don't mind the flying bit but hate the airport bit.

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 09 Apr 2018, 12:00

It would not be possible to do it as a straight through tunnel, Davie, as Jim has to be able to CYCLE through it, not freefall to the other end!

Michel

Post by Michel » 09 Apr 2018, 12:04

daviemck2006 wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 11:54
don't mind the flying bit but hate the airport bit.

Same here! I decided I'd rather drive the 11 hours to the South of France with a stopover halfway than deal with bloody airports, obtuse arrangements and worst of all - other passengers. Then I had to hire a car and I was in the queue for an hour despite pre-booking, simply because the British cockwits also in the queue hadn't been bothered to read the T&Cs and went all shouty Eastenders style on the desk staff. Of course, when I got to the desk I had all my docs and booking papers ready, and it took me no more than 5 mins to be on my way.

daviemck2006
Donor 2016

Post by daviemck2006 » 09 Apr 2018, 13:55

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 12:00
It would not be possible to do it as a straight through tunnel, Davie, as Jim has to be able to CYCLE through it, not freefall to the other end!

But once past the centre point then gravity will take effect the opposite way so it will be an endurance uphill stretch that Jim excels at :rofl2:

Michel

Post by Michel » 09 Apr 2018, 14:15

CitroJim wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 07:30
Oh Mike, that's not good :( I know the brain-fog problem so well.. I wish you a very speedy recovery and may the rest of your holiday be absolutely brilliant and very enjoyable...

It's more the pain than the brain-fog that screws me up Jim. Brain foggy still but the weird pains and sensations are terrible. Woke up freezing at about 3am even though we had the heaters on at 23c.. it'll pass. Back on Wednesday. I think I need a good blast on the motorbike to clear out the cobwebs.

daviemck2006
Donor 2016

Post by daviemck2006 » 09 Apr 2018, 14:42

That's like me Mike, do tòo much at once and I suffer for days. I'm not laid up, but high pain levels and have to up the painkillers which then cause the brain drain viscous circle. But when I'm doing the too much I think I'll be ok this time!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 09 Apr 2018, 17:16

Michel wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 14:15
I think I need a good blast on the motorbike to clear out the cobwebs.

That'll do the trick for sure Mike :)

I know a good run and bike ride (of the cycling variety) does it for me ...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 14 Apr 2018, 17:01

Been riding my bike around the New Forest today in glorious sunshine...

Rode 66 miles taking part in the Wiggle New Forest Spring Sportive... Average speed 16.6mph :) Over 66 miles and 4 hours of solid riding that's not bad...

It was awesome :D I love the New Forest and the ride took us around some of the most lovely bits of it... We even went through Beaulieu :)

The New Forest truly is my most favourite part of England... I say England as I've not adequately explored Scotland and Wales or even Ireland...

It wasn't glorious sunshine at first though - the ride started out in thick fog and it was cold too... By the end of it I was over-dressed...

In other news, the caravan suffered a serious freeze-up over the winter and is now in the process of having all the burst pipes repaired... At latest count eight bursts have been found and we're not finished yet...

Yesterday, surviving without running water was fun... Hopefully tonight I'll have some.... [-o<

Off home early tomorrow as it's Sian's birthday and I can't miss that... If this weather carries on I'll be back down here for a few days next week if I can get the time off work... Got to be home on Thursday though as I have a dental appointment for Root Canal part II :twisted:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 14 Apr 2018, 17:42

And I have hot and cold running water again :D

This was just one of the 12 or so bursts... Caravan has been virtually re-plumbed...

We stopped counting after 12!

Bloody lucky the water heater (a good old Sadia) survived the ordeal!
burstpipe.jpg
Jack Frost's Work...
Plumber was saying it hit -20 degrees down here in early February...

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
donor 2018

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur » 14 Apr 2018, 18:53

16.6mph average is good going. I used to reckon on averaging about 13.5mph on a long run and 11mph ish Urban: the bike would've been heavier & slower, but back then I was young enough to be your Grandson. :-D

I did nip into a bike shop a couple of weeks back with you in mind, see how things have changed since my cycling days..... substantially in all sorts of ways: Brakes, Freewheels, Frame Material, Prices !

I'm guessing you're going to be investing in some 'background heating' of some sort for the Caravan before next Winter.