Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Michel

Re: Citrojim's Ka, Skoda, Saxo and Bike Tales

Post by Michel » 28 Mar 2018, 17:55

CitroJim wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 17:46

Discovered this lovely pothole on my bike ride this afternoon - before the rains came on...

It is perfectly placed to catch an unwary cyclist and although it's on a very quiet and rural lane it is a very popular cycling road...

follylanepothole.jpg

I'm sorry, but anyone caught unawares by that trench should be going to specsavers and not on the road!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 28 Mar 2018, 17:56

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 17:50
So, Jim, we need to consider changing your name by deed pole to Rob McKenna, after the character from Douglas Adams' book "So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish";

:rofl2: Yes!!! I shall now sign-off as Rob :wink:

I so miss Douglas Adams :( He really is a legend and "So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish" is possibly one of hios best works...

The bit where he describes Rob is utterly brilliant and utterly hilarious - anyone who has never read the book should - as soon as possible. You won't regret it :D

Rob McKenna

FCF Rain God and Founder Member of the Ka Preservation Society...

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 28 Mar 2018, 18:00

While I agree that Douglas Adams was a good comedic author, I would have to say that Sir Terry Pratchett was (in my opinion) much better, and not just because he was writing for far longer.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 28 Mar 2018, 18:03

Michel wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 17:55
I'm sorry, but anyone caught unawares by that trench should be going to specsavers and not on the road!

Thing is Mike, it's on a narrow road and if there's anything coming the other way you're not going to be able to avoid it...

Sadly, although it's only a minor road and generally very quiet it is, at certain times, used as a rat-run from the nearby university and gets busy....

James, I once tried to read a Terry Pratchett book and failed miserably - I totally failed to get into it :(

Maybe I chose the wrong one...

Michel

Post by Michel » 28 Mar 2018, 18:09

CitroJim wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 18:03
Michel wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 17:55

Thing is Mike, it's on a narrow road and if there's anything coming the other way you're not going to be able to avoid it.

My vehicles have brakes Jim.

I'm with you on Terry Pratchet! Never got his books at all.

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 28 Mar 2018, 18:12

I would say that, should the pothole be filled by a puddle, it looks like it could cause some major damage to the vehicle passing through it, and a cyclist probably would come off. I knew of a pothole (on a narrow country lane) that was hidden by a puddle (after a flash storm) that took out both nearside wheels (broke or buckled all of the rims) of three cars in the space of half an hour. It was not a long or wide pothole, but was very deep. It was up between Oxford and Watlington.

Jim, some of the Terry Pratchett books are hysterical, some are ok, and some are highly emotionally charged. In his book "Nation" (the first to be written after he found out he had the early stages of Alzheimer's Disease) there is, early in the book, a chapter where the lead character Mau has to bury everybody he ever knew (a tsunami had swept across the island they called home), and it moves me to tears every time I read that chapter. Forewarned, in this case, is NOT forearmed.

bobins
Donor 2016

Post by bobins » 28 Mar 2018, 19:40

There's a whole series of holes joined by bits of tarmac near where I work. I'm so tempted to put up a sign saying 'Caution, Road Missing Ahead' :lol: I don't think they're going to get repaired any time soon as the county boundary goes down the middle of the road, so there'll no doubt be lots of squabbling about whose responsibility it is going on in both highways departments :roll:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 29 Mar 2018, 05:26

bobins wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 19:40
There's a whole series of holes joined by bits of tarmac near where I work. I'm so tempted to put up a sign saying 'Caution, Road Missing Ahead'

Lots of areas like that up here Bobins... Almost to the extent that the remaining bits of tarmac knit the potholes together :roll:

The winter certainly has been hard on the roads and what's worrying is that minor roads given a surface dressing last year are getting holed too...

I thought at the time the surface dressing method used looked a bit cheap and cheerful and events are proving me right :(

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 29 Mar 2018, 16:36

I woke the Skoda up from hibernation today...

As the car had not moved since late last year - when I got the Ka - I thought the battery would be flat so I removed it (had to remember where it was!), carried it home and stuck it on charge... I thought my clever charger had died as the current meter was showing no current...

The charger was fine, it was just that the battery was still fully charged :shock:

I carried the battery back, refitted it and the car fired up (after a fuel prime) first turn of the key!!! Bloody remarkable...

She settled to a steady idle and after a few minutes running I brought her home... Handily my neighbours are a way for the long weekend so in exchange for feeding their cats I can keep the Skoda on their drive for a few days :)

I gave both her and Sally a wash as where she'd been sleeping there's a problem with pigeons and the poor old thing was covered in pigeon poo :evil:

I must say she drives beautifully and all is exactly as was just before she went to sleep for the winter :)

Here she is, after a wash and in the pouring rain - which sadly has stopped play for the day :evil:
skoda0342018_2.jpg
Own Work
She's now for sale as I will not have any time for the foreseeable to either enjoy her or do any work on her so I've decided to send her on to someone else who can love her more than I can at present...

All proceeds from the sale will be donated to Willen Hospice as part of my fund-raising connected with my charity bike ride to Amsterdam in June...

Offer me in excess of a grand and not only will she be yours but a most worthy local charity very close to my heart will benefit greatly ;)

I'll be doing a proper for sale ad in a while...

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 29 Mar 2018, 16:39

If you ever find you have had to park a car under trees for a while, and your glass is now opaque, I have found that Anti Static Foaming Cleaner is very good at getting the glass clean (provided you let the foam go back to a fluid state).

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 29 Mar 2018, 16:58

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 16:39
If you ever find you have had to park a car under trees for a while, and your glass is now opaque, I have found that Anti Static Foaming Cleaner is very good at getting the glass clean (provided you let the foam go back to a fluid state).

Yes. agreed James. Foaming Cleaner has many uses and I love it... Years back there was version called 'Carterclene' and that really was the bee's knees..

sadly, it was banned from sale but not before I bought as many cans of it as I could... I still have a couple...

I believe the active ingredient they didn't like much was ammonia - it certainly stank of it by by golly, did it ever clean... Even greasy old cooker hoods was no bother for it!

van ordinaire
donor 2017

Post by van ordinaire » 30 Mar 2018, 02:10

bobins wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 19:40
There's a whole series of holes joined by bits of tarmac near where I work. I'm so tempted to put up a sign saying 'Caution, Road Missing Ahead' :lol: I don't think they're going to get repaired any time soon as the county boundary goes down the middle of the road, so there'll no doubt be lots of squabbling about whose responsibility it is going on in both highways departments :roll:

They do actually have signs like that in the US: one is "Pavement Ends" where, in 'Mer'can, "pavement" = surfaced road, theb other is something to the effect that beyond this point the highway (in the loosest possible sense) is no longer maintained.

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 30 Mar 2018, 18:31

I remember a friend who, upon encountering a road in poor condition, would say something like "I see they have freshly ploughed the road again!".

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 31 Mar 2018, 05:25

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 18:31
I remember a friend who, upon encountering a road in poor condition, would say something like "I see they have freshly ploughed the road again!".

Or that the RAF have been doing bombing practice again...

van ordinaire
donor 2017

Post by van ordinaire » 01 Apr 2018, 00:11

A particularly wet winter a couple of years back, I was driving up-stream on a Devon lane - & there were pieces of tarmac, about 1 sq ft, being washed towards me.

BUT, we don't really have potholes here: on my Indian road trip, in an old Hindustan Ambassador taxi, I hit what I thought was another large puddle/minor flood only to find it was a water filled hole, leaving which badly damaged the lower bull bar mountings. (cost me about £40 I think, for a new one & I didn't even get to keep the old one - & I would've dearly liked the 6" chrome horns mounted on it!)