Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

van ordinaire
donor 2017

Re: Citrojim's Ka, Skoda, Saxo and Bike Tales

Post by van ordinaire » 28 Feb 2018, 23:24

The original mains one must be mid-80's - so who's to say? Its 1st & 2nd replacements were S/H so although acquired much later have no idea of their age.

The 12v multi-changer is '98-ish so, presumably, beyond the pale.

Maybe when it seems we might be in the same place at the same time, I'll just throw them in the back of the C15 & you can assess whether repair is viable/practicable.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 01 Mar 2018, 12:33

van ordinaire wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 23:24
The original mains one must be mid-80's - so who's to say? Its 1st & 2nd replacements were S/H so although acquired much later have no idea of their age.
Do you know what make and model they are Van? But at that age they should be fixable...
van ordinaire wrote:
The 12v multi-changer is '98-ish so, presumably, beyond the pale.
To me, yes... Too new!
van ordinaire wrote:
Maybe when it seems we might be in the same place at the same time, I'll just throw them in the back of the C15 & you can assess whether repair is viable/practicable.

I'm sure we can work out something ;)

Replacing the suspect IC on my CD Player has restored normal operation now :)

This was the guilty party... Quite fun to desolder all 24 pins!
duffchip.jpg
Own Work
And here's the payer playing a suitably vintage CD :)
fixedcdplayer.jpg
Own Work
Late yesterday afternoon I was struck down by serious toothache... It came out of nowhere almost...

I've not so long returned from the dentist following root canal treatment for the cause of the problem and to clear the underlying infection...

The only pain I'm suffering now is in the wallet but to be free of the pain is worth every penny!

Just feeling a bit groggy and washed-out from having a very poor night last night...

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon » 01 Mar 2018, 14:05

Jim, the CD is going to be a bit of a poser for me. No idea what it is and the pic isn't detailed enough to work it out. The two sitting in the car are absolutely cringingly dressed, I hope its not the Carpenters...not for the music but the outfits!

It has a car on the front too, again no idea!

So save me the bother of it niggling away at me to solve....what is it!

Regards Neil

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon » 01 Mar 2018, 14:08

Scrub that it is the Carpenters!

Now and then 1973!

and the Car...thanks wiki

The car pictured on the cover was a 1973 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 ("Daytona") owned by Richard. (Richard later sold the original red Ferrari featured on the album cover, but bought another car of the same type in 1995.)

Easy :-D

Regards Neil

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 01 Mar 2018, 14:45

Neil, spot on :D It's one of the Carpenter's best albums in my opinion... Side 2 is interesting as it takes the form of a radio show with Richard as the DJ and they both singing covers of some very well-known early 60s stuff. It's cheesier than a slice of Stilton but great fun!

Think of the intro to "Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft" and that gives you a flavour of the whole side...

Agreed, the dress is a bit cringeworthy but then it's pure 70s and of its day.

Interesting on the story of the car - never knew that despite being a massive Carpenters fan and having had that particular album since I was about 14.

Today I have it on both vinyl and CD... Used to have it on musicassette once too...

van ordinaire
donor 2017

Post by van ordinaire » 01 Mar 2018, 23:23

Jim, I don't "know" the make & model, I'd have to read that off them - &, at the moment, they are under/behind other stuff. However, now have some incentive to liberate them, at least before whenever it is we're likely to meet.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 09 Mar 2018, 18:28

Sadly, this post is nothing about cars... I've done nothing on them for what seems weeks but then again in the past 10 days I've only driven one of my cars once and then only to the shops and back for a big shop!!!

All other times I've been cycling and running... I can tell you that running in virgin snow is a wonderful experience :D

After ten or so days of very mucky commuting and my bike getting utterly filthy I spent over an hour cleaning it today...

I was shocked to see a big build-up of aluminium dust on the front brake caliper from the wheel rim braking surface.
allybikebrake.jpg
Own Work
I've never noticed it before... I wonder if I've been riding through some really abrasive muck! Salt perhaps...

So bad in fact the the braking surfaces are almost down to the wear indicators...
bikewearindi.jpg
Own Work
Be time for some new wheels very soon...

Still, not bad considering the mileage this bike does and the rest of the bike is holding up very well to winter commuting :D

Michel

Post by Michel » 09 Mar 2018, 22:29

CitroJim wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 18:28

Be time for some new wheels very soon...

Yet another reason why my remaining bikes have disc brakes! Not only are they not affected at all by mud and crud off road, when they wear out. £10-15 for a disc, and a fiver for a set of pads :P

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 09 Mar 2018, 23:43

Wheels, annoyingly are the one major bit my road bike is going to need before it's fully put back to working order. Several decades of the Scottish weather haven't been kind to them.

That box of bits will be finding its way over to Jim at some point so it can be turned back into a working bike as it deserves. Heck, maybe even get out for a proper ride on it again sometime. I've done enough miles on it over the years, it deserves to see daylight again.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 10 Mar 2018, 00:31

Has anyone any advice to offer on inflating a newly fitted mountain bike/downhill racer tyre.
My son was asking about a fire extinguisher conversion.
I bought a 12 volt pump to have in the car but he was sceptical as it has no reservoir and he claims it needs a big blast of air to seal the bead to the rim.
I'm an ignoramus as far as bikes are concerned, along with everything else so can't really help him.
I did ask our fire extinguisher service bloke but he seemed quite sceptical about it.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 10 Mar 2018, 06:53

I've had a roadie with disc brakes; I was not a fan to be honest... I found them weak and totally ineffective in the wet! Just like the discs on my old Suzuki GT550 motorbike :lol: The discs on my hybrid are quite reasonable though...

The stopping power of the rim brakes on both my roadies is excellent and I have no complaints over their performance at all :)

I now have the excuse I need to upgrade my wheels anyway :) I want to go for lighter, tubeless ones and this is a perfect opportunity :wink:

It's an ill wind and so on :-D Also, got some advice on the best brake pads to run to avoid this sort of issue...
myglaren wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 00:31
Has anyone any advice to offer on inflating a newly fitted mountain bike/downhill racer tyre.

Tubeless ones Steve?

If so, he needs a proper reservoir-type track pump... The reason is these need an initial high-volume blast of high-pressure of air (plus sealant) before they will seat on the rim bead and seal...

A fire extinguisher conversion may work as long as it's safe... I have tubeless on my sportive roadie and use my compressor...

You may find a large capacity CO2 inflater (the ones that look like a Sodastream bulb) may do the job too but it depends on the size and volume of the tyre.

You'll never do it with a 12v car inflater... You need a decent reservoir with at least 100psi behind it to kick-off the sealing/seating process.

Once hard and sealed an ordinary pump can then be used to maintain pressure...
Zelandeth wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 23:43
That box of bits will be finding its way over to Jim at some point so it can be turned back into a working bike as it deserves.

Bring it over Zel and given a bit of time it'll emerge from my workshop like a new bike ;)

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 10 Mar 2018, 09:33

Thanks Jim. I believe they are tubeless.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 13 Mar 2018, 17:37

Just given the car fleet their regular health checks...

Sally the Saxo is perfect :-D She really is such a fine car and it's almost expected she'll be perfect now but I never assume...

Pixie the Pixo needs new rear tyres due to sidewall cracks and general deterioration which is not bad as they're the originals and 9n years old now... Bags of tread left on them but...

And the Jodie the Fun-Ka fired up instantly for her regular SORN warm-up despite standing for a few weeks...

I can't wait to get her back on the road... She's a good 'un at heart...

I'm going to bloody well learn to weld and do as she needs... I'm missing my little Jodie something terribly :cry: She's such fun...

As soon as I can afford it welding kit will be procured and I shall get cracking... It would have been this month but root-canal treatment scuppered that plan :twisted:

Still, I'd rather be pain-free and still have Jodie on SORN rather than drive her is agony... No fun in that at all...

Looking forward to getting the sparks flying :wink:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 14 Mar 2018, 09:41

I'm now after recommendations for MIG welder recommendations...

I've posed the question here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59710

So keen to get the Ka sorted :)

Silly I know but I love that little car...

lexi
donor 2017

Post by lexi » 14 Mar 2018, 12:02

Your next mission is to get gas for welder. Don't go gasless, as it will put you off learning to weld. It is pants on budget welders.
Having used them all from Air Products, BOC, throwaway bottles, Pub gas, I have been using the Hobbyweld from SGS for 5 yrs now. It suits me because a bottle does me about 2-3 years. £ 60 approx one off deposit and £35 aprox to fill bottle.
I use the stick to weld anything from 3mm thick, to save the gas.